hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 848555657585960 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1191

Thread: Musk's statistical analysis appreciation thread. (Not Tesla related at all)

https://www.pedestrian.tv/tech/elon-...icon-good-job/

Congratulations To Elon Musk On Inventing Adelaide’s Mighty O-Bahn System

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Because Musk needs to sell cars?
    But the cars could be ON a tram instead of a bunch of independent units.. the more moving parts there are the more likely there will be an accident

"The cars would have to be fitted with specially designed side wheels that pop out perpendicular to the car's regular tires and run along the tunnel's track. The cost for such wheels would be about $200 or $300 a car, Mr Musk said."

How convenient!

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...nel-1.804443#3
    This thing looked interesting and had a potential for success, until the need-side-wheels.
    Now this whole concept is dead and buried, at least they have already dug the required hole.

What other use could we have for tunnels? Tunnel farms using geothermal energy to generate light for hydroponic crops?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

What other use could we have for tunnels? Tunnel farms using geothermal energy to generate light for hydroponic crops?
    How about a little metro, since it's for dealing with congestion.
    It might be a wee radical thought, but better public transport would help with congestion

Shelters to survive climate change induced disasters. Talking of disasters, I'd wager you wouldn't want to be in any LA tunnel when the next big quake hits, either.

So aside from the location. I guess it could maybe work with some changes?

I'm genuinely surprised the training wheels are necessary, couldn't visual guide strips, infrared beacons & LIDAR be used? That seems pretty basic.

Lower the speed - 150 MPH (241 KM) sounds great on paper but in a catastrophic failure... 62 MPH is probably already pretty fast in the core of city, 100 MPH would be acceptable? Gotta go fast is great until your ride is rapidly disassembling itself around you.

Force autonomous vehicles to abdicate all control to a centralized management system, that way if one vehicle suffers a fault all vehicles behind it can be slowed, stopped and/or reversed while a service vehicle enters (from either end) to remove the obstruction. Entry is already controlled via an elevator system so only accept vehicles subject to a control lock-out that keeps passengers in the vehicle and prevents users switching to manual control, on purpose or not. This probably introduces a whole range of other problems like handshakes and security protocols to prevent this being reverse engineered and weaponized against autonomous vehicle users while operating outside the system. Oy vey.

You know that last one alone makes me think it's so unworkable you might as well switch to autonomous electric golf carts. At least that way you might have enough room to allow for a pedestrian walk for evacuations.
    Last edited by Sparq; December 20 2018 at 11:42:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Underground tubes would be nice in some places if it was filled only with automated cars akin to a subway system. Turn your car in, turn on the autopilot and let it drive until your exit. It would be like an HOV lane, except some idiot will drive into it with manual steering and cause a pileup.
    A narrow underground tube full of cars with dodgy "autopilot" and a tendency to spontaneously explode? What could possibly go wrong?!?
    I think the idea of a smaller, easier to drill 'car sized' tunnel is not inherently bad, but why isn't it just done with a train/tram? Why overcomplicate something that's already proven to work?
    So you don't have to wait for poors to get on the train.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    But the cars could be ON a tram instead of a bunch of independent units.. the more moving parts there are the more likely there will be an accident

"The cars would have to be fitted with specially designed side wheels that pop out perpendicular to the car's regular tires and run along the tunnel's track. The cost for such wheels would be about $200 or $300 a car, Mr Musk said."

How convenient!

This thing looked interesting and had a potential for success, until the need-side-wheels.
    Yeah, like "Hey guys, I "invented" the flat rollercoaster for cars" looks interesting and has potential for success.

Because that's basically the technological level we are talking about here.

You know that last one alone makes me think it's so unworkable you might as well switch to autonomous electric golf carts.
    Or you just build a fucking public transport system

Also, I will be disappointed if Elon Musk doesn't mentally arrive at drone-backpacks which will totally let us all enjoy individual air traffic in a few months.
    Last edited by FatFreddy; December 21 2018 at 03:40:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Tried it decades ago, US classifies jetpacks as some kind of weapon and bans its use. Bunch of bureaucratic fun-killers if you ask me.

Also Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

"With traffic congestion, pollution, and oil shortages all getting worse, now is the time to shift to affordable, efficient public transportation," APTA director Howard Collier said. "Fortunately, as this report shows, Americans have finally recognized the need for everyone else to do exactly that."
    Satire but not. Only way we're getting a lot of people to take public transportation is to make cars so prohibitive through cost or red tape that people are forced to take public transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    You know that last one alone makes me think it's so unworkable you might as well switch to autonomous electric golf carts.
    Look mate, I'm just being realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Look mate, I'm just being realistic.
    +1

How convenient!

Now this whole concept is dead and buried, at least they have already dug the required hole.
    It's a fucking Subway you simpleton! We've already invented this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post

How convenient!

It's a fucking Subway you simpleton! We've already invented this!!!!

Rip concept of running vehicles through a tunnel
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Tried it decades ago, US classifies jetpacks as some kind of weapon and bans its use. Bunch of bureaucratic fun-killers if you ask me.
    surely that makes them a basic american right?

BRB going to Marx.

Nice that he realizes he's a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Ok, that is actually funny. A bit of "too soon" though, but still clever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

You know that’s not real, right?