hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Fried hard drive?

Fried hard drive?

Hi all. A couple of weeks ago my computer had an emergency thermal shutdown (I forget the exact phrasing) and Windows needed to be reinstalled. It turned out to be dust clogging the vents.
    Fast forward to this weekend and now the hard drive isn't being found by the bios at all. I assume the previous thing damaged it & the hot weather's finished it. I've ordered a new hard drive but assuming this works does anyone have advice on preventing this from happening again?

I'd say that's coincidence. Or it's not really the hard drive, but the controller (or something else) not recognizing the HD any longer, because that particular piece took heat damage.

So I'd suggest to check the drive on a different machine and see if it's recognized there.

As for preventing such issues - not much advice possible other than which you likely figured out yourself: clean the vents (and the interior of your machine) once in a while. A vacuum cleaner does that job nicely. Just make sure you don't touch your MB's components in order to prevent damage from static discharge. Obligatory: pull the power plug before you start.

Sadly I don't have any other computers to check the drive in. I assume the controller's part of the motherboard? It does see my dvd drive, is that unrelated?

I'm guessing the bios would hopefully recognise a new drive even before I put Windows on it?
    Last edited by Netjerenbau; July 2 2018 at 01:23:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    Sadly I don't have any other computers to check the drive in.
    Not sure if that's possible then, but how about a different port on that machine?

I assume the controller's part of the motherboard? It does see my dvd drive, is that unrelated?
    Yepp. Or one other part that's involved in "making connected devices availabe". I'm not really a hardware guy, others here have a better understanding. BTW, can you specifiy what kind of HD that is? SSD, SATA ... i.e. can you swap the HD for the DVD for testing purposes?

I'm guessing the bios would hopefully recognise a new drive even before I put Windows on it?
    Yes, it should.

It's sata. I swapped the cables yesterday as a test, I did it from the drive end so their ports got swapped. The dvd is recognised in eitheŕ port 1 or 2, the hd nowhere.

Given that, you're initial notion of the HD being dead seems to unfortunately be the case.

I'd suggest to mention such tests you did yourself in the future. That spares everyone some unnecessary second guessing and back and forth posting.

Sorry, will do. The drive I ordered should arrive today but probably not at a practical time. I'll say here if it works.
    In the meantime I'd quietly suggest everyone pay a little more attention to how much dust is in their system, I'd never paid it any mind before.

Edit: Windows is installing on the new drive. There are no beeps so far. My files are history, though. I should really start backing shit up.
    Last edited by Netjerenbau; July 2 2018 at 07:44:32 PM.

For older spinning magnetic drives, sometimes it's the circuit board on the drive that goes, and the data and moving parts are fine (for a time anyway). Does anything on the underside of the drive look burned or slightly melted?

Depending on the model, that part can be replaced, but you need an identical board from the same model with the same firmware. I don't know what your files are worth to you it might not be worth it even if that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    For older spinning magnetic drives, sometimes it's the circuit board on the drive that goes, and the data and moving parts are fine (for a time anyway). Does anything on the underside of the drive look burned or slightly melted?

Depending on the model, that part can be replaced, but you need an identical board from the same model with the same firmware. I don't know what your files are worth to you it might not be worth it even if that's the problem.
    Thanks but I don't think anything's missing that can't either be replaced or isn't that important. There were photos of cats I had while growing up but there should be a USB stick with those on somewhere.

iirc 12% of harddrives die within the first year of use. If they survive that first year, they are likely to last alot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    iirc 12% of harddrives die within the first year of use. If they survive that first year, they are likely to last alot longer.
    Ye olde bathtub curve.

I've generally given up trying to keep the computer up to date & gotten rid of it before a hard drive's broken, this is the first one that's ever died on me. I've found the original email from when I ordered this & I've apparently had it for 1 year & 10 months.

Surely that's inside warrany?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I don't think it is. Here in the UK the standard warranty for electronic stuff is 1 year IIRC & I don't have anything saying otherwise with the rest of the PCs paperwork.

Nope, EU (yes we're still in it!) is 2 years for such electronics iirc, and you don't need any registration with the manufac either. Check their website for the make & model. Some drives offer up to 5 years, with 2-3 at least being common recently for HDD.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I thought the Uk had a special short-term version of that EU rule. It's a little late now anyway, the replacement drive was only around 35 (1TB) and the Windows disk came with the computer so it was simple to sort out. I'll be sure to look if anything else happens, though.