hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 54 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4445152535455565764 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2017

Thread: National Brotherhood Week (USA Civil Unrest Thread)

They better do something fast because the police that love policing are making new leftists each and everyday. When someone joins a protest at any age that was sheltered before and gets gassed or sees a child get tart gassed, gets beaten or watches a black man get beaten in person, gets tasered or watches a video of a black women screaming as 9 cops stab her tires and pull her from a car after tasering her, people tend to think a little more about what could happen to them, or someone they care about. Not everyone is gonna join up, but there are more people each day. There's a lot more than I've seen recently, and the police that aren't shit have to be having some real conflicts now, i have seen some videos of police taking gear off and talking or joining civilians. I would say they need to do this in large numbers to matter, but its too late, the ones that are doing the beating are not going to stop. One of them is going to die soon. People are really passed.

Also yes the homelessness here is not limited to big cities, though its awful there. Its in small towns as well, no services exist there usually so people just stay out for years as a town ornament.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Your brain simply cannot comprehend the magnitude of the homeless populations in cities like SF, Seattle and Austin without having been there. You just can't imagine it. I certainly couldn't, and I've spent the better part of ten years living or working in Manchester and London and those cities are bad. The visible levels of poverty on display are shocking. And for every person on the street there's probably three more with somewhere to live but working four jobs with no healthcare to manage it.
    That multiple job thing to survive is just absurd looking from european point of view. Also the mimimum social security payouts in Finland are probably more per month than a shitty minimum wage job in states.

One friend of mine visited the Hollywood walk of fame year or two back, apparently that is also filled with homeless and smells of urine. The state of the american dream.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Your brain simply cannot comprehend the magnitude of the homeless populations in cities like SF, Seattle and Austin without having been there. You just can't imagine it. I certainly couldn't, and I've spent the better part of ten years living or working in Manchester and London and those cities are bad. The visible levels of poverty on display are shocking. And for every person on the street there's probably three more with somewhere to live but working four jobs with no healthcare to manage it.
    I wouldn't say it's quite like that, but poor is poor, and it makes California's homelessness issues stark as.

Just going to make the point that California's climate will not kill you (as long as you don't sleep in a forest in the hills), like most of the rest of the states will, and pointing out that this is part of why there is a great American tradition of hopping a freight train and heading west, since the last depression.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    No, haven't personally been in the uncle sam land and have no inclination to visit.......
    I'm sorry to hear that, but I'd still encourage you to visit.

Not right now, of course, but maybe after Jan. 2021 sometime.

It may confirm your low opinion of us or it may not.
    I would like to experience that little immolation party in the desert, but currently healtwise no way I would be living in a tent or going to a country where one hospital visit would bankrupt me, and good luck getting insurance for clear pre-existing condition.

No, haven't personally been in the uncle sam land and have no inclination to visit.......

I would like to experience that little immolation party in the desert, but currently healtwise no way I would be living in a tent or going to a country where one hospital visit would bankrupt me, and good luck getting insurance for clear pre-existing condition.
    The last part is not true. Obama actual fixed that, for the most part. Trump and the republicans are working their hardest to fuck it up for Americans, though.
    meh

To mace and maim.

This is gonna make it even more awkward when Trump smashes the next election

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post

To mace and maim.
    BOOM, HEADSHOT.

What a fucking bellend of a copper...

The parts of America lacking people are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    This is gonna make it even more awkward when Trump smashes the next election
    There will be infinite amounts of "librul screeching" and nothing will happen. Even if Trump is forced to actually and obviously steal the election, nothing will happen. Democrats will never go against the system.

But again, why steal elections, you can win them by microtargeting groups of up to 10 to 20 thousands voters in several swing states on social media. Its trivially easy and very cheap compared to the infinite gains.

Outcome of elections in a country of over 300 million will again be decided by three to four groups ranging from 5,000 to 50,000 people. And that is how the system was designed, its not a bug, its a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    But again, why steal elections, you can win them by microtargeting groups of up to 10 to 20 thousands voters in several swing states on social media. Its trivially easy and very cheap compared to the infinite gains.
    If it were so simple, cheap and easy, you might think Democrats would do it.

They might. The truth is (and this is Cambridge Analytica story) that team R, along with some international help (who also, provably, used it for similar electoral victories in europe), made a massive leap forward in asymmetrical psychological warfare techniques (and were part of an attack on our country, using these techniques).

The long and the short of it. Building psychological profiles of individual voters then effectively feeding them propaganda that triggers their underlying psychology isn't something we want anyone using, I think, and so this is really one of the biggest challenges facing our survival as a country.
    meh

The democrats don't act like they want to be in power
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I don't think it was really possible back in 2012. Back then we didn't have a case of every grandma and crazy uncle having a smartphone with twitter and facebook and right wing podcasts. Combination of big data analysis and social media micro targeting only became possible recently. We can say that GOP were trendsetters, though it would likely would not have helped them with a more mainstream candidate. 2016 was first time it could have been done. And if democrats tried anything similar there would be armed revolt against "globalists manipulating our (Murcian) elections".

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    They might. The truth is (and this is Cambridge Analytica story) that team R, along with some international help (who also, provably, used it for similar electoral victories in europe), made a massive leap forward in asymmetrical psychological warfare techniques (and were part of an attack on our country, using these techniques).

The long and the short of it. Building psychological profiles of individual voters then effectively feeding them propaganda that triggers their underlying psychology isn't something we want anyone using, I think, and so this is really one of the biggest challenges facing our survival as a country.

It makes very idea of a "honest democracy" being "Better" than dictatorship like China or Russia laughable, at least in regards to the fairness of elections. And I don't see how it can be prevented without starting serious Internet censorship. Most likely both sides (or all n-sides in countries with real multi party systems) have to fully embrace it for balance sake. So everyone would be endlessly exposed to fine tuned personally targeted psychological warfare trying to get them vote or not vote or vote for the other side.
    Last edited by dzajic; June 2 2020 at 08:21:53 PM.

I don't think it was really possible back in 2012. Back then we didn't have a case of every grandma and crazy uncle having a smartphone with twitter and facebook and right wing podcasts. Combination of big data analysis and social media micro targeting only became possible recently. We can say that GOP were trendsetters, though it would likely would not have helped them with a more mainstream candidate. 2016 was first time it could have been done. And if democrats tried anything similar there would be armed revolt against "globalists manipulating our (Murcian) elections".
    2008/12 (Obamas big Internet innovations for the DNC) was more just like a facebook group compared to what the Republicans built (with help ) in 2016. It wouldn’t be a mischaracterization to say almost like guns vs Stone Age technology.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    While republicans will sell their mother and proclaim demented narcissist moron as their leader, no matter consequences, as long as they are the ones in power.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    While republicans will sell their mother and proclaim demented narcissist moron as their leader, no matter consequences, as long as they are the ones in power.
    Yes.

My team > the country.
    meh

It's easy to make money as perpetual opposition when the other party keeps cutting your taxes
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

It makes very idea of a "honest democracy" being "Better" than dictatorship like China or Russia laughable, at least in regards to the fairness of elections. And I don't see how it can be prevented without starting serious Internet censorship. Most likely both sides (or all n-sides in countries with real multi party systems) have to fully embrace it for balance sake. So everyone would be endlessly exposed to fine tuned personally targeted psychological warfare trying to get them vote or not vote or vote for the other side.
    people could learn how to evaluate data and bias better? obviously the government isn't going to teach them, but social change doesn't come from the government. wouldn't be surprised if the next generation has a much better innate bullshit detector. our generation(s) feel more vulnerable to manipulation because our decision making 'routines' were formed in a pre social media era.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post

people could learn how to evaluate data and bias better? obviously the government isn't going to teach them, but social change doesn't come from the government. wouldn't be surprised if the next generation has a much better innate bullshit detector. our generation(s) feel more vulnerable to manipulation because our decision making 'routines' were formed in a pre social media era.
    Keeping the population fearful and uneducated becomes kind of important, if cheating valid democracy to cling to power is the only viable strategy left to your intellectually, ethically, and morally bankrupt political ideology.

Now you can see why Republican America fairs so poorly on the HDI.
    meh