hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 5090979899100
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 1990

Thread: National Brotherhood Week (USA Civil Unrest Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Burning flags in Gettysburg on 4th of July must be a troll. It must be. If it's not, I fucking HOPE there's no bloodshed there when idiots from the right gather to "protect muh freedoms" or some gaaaah goddammit I said i was done reading this fffffffffffffuccccckkkkkk.

Where I don't agree with Pool and his guys is that there are dangerous armed idiots on both sides, so I don't think it's so much more likely "Antifa" will cause the "first" wrong move. I mean, wrong moves have been done by the right and actual white racists for a long time already, and not taking care of that problem as much as it could have been brought US to this year, and then it starts with a legitimate civil protest but then you take identity politics and everything starts getting blanketed under institutional racism while the economy is going to shit and nobody has any illusions anymore about their future, people don't have health insurance and covid is around the corner, bullshit candidates and impotent political parties, the gun and "get of my lawn" culture in the US, young people who haven't seen an actual war/civil unrest/disintegration of society at home and all the chaos, suffering and damage to everyone that entails and you get to this. It's a reaction to a reaction to a reaction to a reaction to a reaction... indefinite escalation.

History repeats itself. Land of the free, home of the brave should be stricken from the anthem.
    Do you really belive that the Black communities don't want universal Healthcare, a more fair community, removal of shitty useless political parties, better responses to Covid-19 and do you then belive that those problems aren't vastly more damaging when facing racism as well?

There is no way that fixing all those issues would only ever affect black people. Suppression of that population is usually acknowledged as a great way to beat down the poorest and most to gain portion of society, you know the people that would benefit the most from changes.

Doesn't mean everyone there will do it, but there is a reason they don't vote for Republicans, as the best they have to offer is tax cuts and that is about it if you are poor.

Edit: also I am unsure why you think this means outright civil war is here. People protesting aren't about to kill each other. One side is ready to try. Have you not seen the US military? Open rebellion in the far right would not be enough. They may be given leniency in some cases but you can bet the majority of conservatives would be fine watching them roast under hail of automatic gun fire as they drop their ar-15s they spent 5g on and run
    Last edited by Jack Coutu; July 2 2020 at 10:36:24 PM.

young people who haven't seen an actual war/civil unrest/disintegration of society at home and all the chaos
    I mean sure. But they also aren't invested in the political system. For good reason too. No assets, a life of debt, and persistent underemployment will await them all if the recovery is made austere. Which it will be.

If the social order really starts to fall apart, most will probably shrug or even join in. There's no indication that they'd ever get rewarded for their loyalty or good behavior. They'll just keep getting shit on by the asset-owning generation who dominates each party.

Erm, I have no idea where you got that I dont believe black communities want uni healthcare etc etc. I was talking about the whole of america, aside from the part where "identity politics"/BLM/riots/CHAZ/proudboys/whoever take over the spotlight in the media away from systematic problems all in the US are gonna face sooner or later. I simplified a bit.

Also when I mention "civil war" I don't think it's gonna be a civil war like it's 1860's nor what we had in the Balkans for that matter. But the fact that more and more young people, not only in the US mind you, are seeing violence as a completely viable option is not something you can disprove, and by now you've literally had extreme people from both sides killing someone during protests/occupations/whatever. The economy is not turning magically for the better, the health situation is not turning for the better, and politics are not turning for the better, at least not beyond cosmetically - the same old establishment might just continue very similar bullshit with token improvements after the elections if the voters don't press them hard for serious changes which matter. Why I mentioned civil war is, in a perverse way and speaking from experience, people who experience war at home are much more careful about starting shit on a grand scale, and the USA population has been quite isolated from this since forever. Most wannabe freedom fighters/guerillas/armed patriots/insertcrazyUSsubrgouphere, who are a minority but do exist and may feel emboldened by all this shit, those who advocate violence against the other, I BET, have mostly not actually been in a true life-or-death warlike situation/environment, otherwise they'd understand what their inflammatory rhetoric is asking for and what type of long term consequences their provocations or violent actions might have (in short, the boogaloo boys and similar people THINK they're ready for a war).

The danger is in armed militias and armed individuals with quicker fingers than brains, and there's quite a few of those in the USA. A wrong move, someone dies, police gets even more militarized and aggressive, pushback happens... More a low intensity conflict and much more of it digital than analog, but everything can escalate from that toward something worse.

Again, I pray to god I'm wrong because I'm a pessimist par excellence but all my doom and gloom predictions turn out more or less correct throughout the years, but the US in very early stages of upheaval, looking from far away I admit, and if things don't start deescalating and getting universally better very fucking quick, they're gonna turn for the worse. It's just 3-4 more incidents and a couple of months of no work/money away from potentially going off imho.
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; July 2 2020 at 11:09:32 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

But the fact that more and more young people, not only in the US mind you, are seeing violence as a completely viable option is not something you can disprove
    And whose fault is that?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But the fact that more and more young people, not only in the US mind you, are seeing violence as a completely viable option is not something you can disprove
    And whose fault is that?
    Yep. They should've given people a reason to play nice. Decent jobs at a bare minimum. Houses like their parents if they wanted to be generous.

I'm not sure what this handwringing over violence is supposed to do. Yeah, people are mad but you expect them to live in their shitty pod lives forever? Sorry, but it's not like Japan where the people without a future just politely top themselves or go otaku (though we got some of that too).

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    And whose fault is that?
    Yep. They should've given people a reason to play nice. Decent jobs at a bare minimum. Houses like their parents if they wanted to be generous.

I'm not sure what this handwringing over violence is supposed to do. Yeah, people are mad but you expect them to live in their shitty pod lives forever? Sorry, but it's not like Japan where the people without a future just politely top themselves or go otaku (though we got some of that too).
    Thing is nobody cares if plebs start killing each other as long as the capital is safe or even can be made off the misery.

I don't expect anybody to live under shit conditions, nor am I handwringing over violence. Why the fuck do you even presume I do?

I'm just posting on the internet about the possible much more violent future of the USA and the reasoning behind it. To make myself clear, when I posted many times about RESOURCE WARS!!!1! I was not joking. I'm about 90% certain that, before I die, I'll have to fight someone over a fucking bottle of water and unlike the "boogaloo crew" I'm not happy about it nor looking forward to it. Luckily, I live in Europe where the situation is a bit better. For now. That's not gonna last either, and the longer it takes US to fuck itself up, the better because these things carry over.

I may be an idiot and have many criticism of the good ole US of A, but believe it or not, I'm also an idealist who looks at that country, all it was supposed to be, and how it keeps turning into the literal opposite since forever. Not good. I keep hoping your politicians start seeing it that way too, that's why I was totally optimistic back when Bernie was a candidate, and totally pessimistic since. I had a feeling things will turn to utter shit and social unrest when Trump was elected. COVID I didn't count on, it was just the "enough drops of kerosene on this motherfucker" to burn the facade off and let the building blocks start collapsing for everyone to see.
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; July 3 2020 at 12:59:12 AM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Knowing Better is not perfect, but this is a pretty dense info dump about the history of policing in the USA.

The war on drugs was one of the biggest nails in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    Knowing Better is not perfect, but this is a pretty dense info dump about the history of policing in the USA.

That was quite an interesting watch. Have an updoot.

Don't agree with everything but certainly big ups on qualified immunity and escalation/accountability when comparing the police to the military.