hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 185 of 186 FirstFirst ... 85135175182183184185186 LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 3709

Thread: Dos Dedos Mis Amigos (USA Civil Unrest Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They're American so probably fair to assume they're all mentally ill and heavily medicated
    It's a common theme for two unstable idiots to get into an altercation that escalates until one ends up dead. Not much sympathy for this guy and his "But she pointed a gun at me!" act. like yeah, no doubt she's crazy and she road raged him, but then he prob flipped out and road raged back like a crazy American.

So then she runs and he followed her to her house and loitered on the property instead of handing it off to police by that point. What a dumb asshole

If they had only had a gun...owait...

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They're American so probably fair to assume they're all mentally ill and heavily medicated
    It's a common theme for two unstable idiots to get into an altercation that escalates until one ends up dead. Not much sympathy for this guy and his "But she pointed a gun at me!" act. like yeah, no doubt she's crazy and she road raged him, but then he prob flipped out and road raged back like a crazy American.

So then she runs and he followed her to her house and loitered on the property instead of handing it off to police by that point. What a dumb asshole
    I mean he literally called the cops. She could have done the same from inside the house...
    Im not saying what he did is the correct approach but you dont defuse the situation by going outside and waiving a gun around. Especially when you're not ready to use it.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    They stopped in the roadway in front of her home and called 911, say investigators.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    They stopped in the roadway in front of her home and called 911, say investigators.
    Now now we cant let facts get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    yeah fine ok

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    yeah fine ok
    Perfectly fine in slav land

Nothing in that article is normal anywhere but in the states. Well maybe some parts of India and Africa...

wouldn't have happened if the girls had guns
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Because chasing off the drunk indians with your gun is totally normal. His only crime was doing it to white people.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Or that's the story he came up with that he thought would sound less bad than whatever he was actually thinking at the time.

Potter guilty.

Guilty: Jury convicts Potter of both counts of manslaughter in shooting of Daunte Wright

The former police officer was led away in handcuffs, will remain in custody ahead of sentencing on Feb. 18.

Jurors convicted former Brooklyn Center police officer Kimberly Potter on Thursday of both manslaughter counts filed against her in the April 11 fatal shooting of Daunte Wright, making her the third officer in Minnesota to be convicted of killing a civilian while on duty.

Potter, 49, stood between two of her attorneys and showed little emotion as Hennepin County District Judge Regina Chu read the guilty verdicts for first- and second-degree manslaughter. Upon hearing each verdict, Potter, with her attorneys hands on either shoulder, turned her gaze from the judge to the table below her.

Wright's family let out cries each time; his mother, Katie Bryant, broke into sobs after the first guilty verdict. Potter's husband, Jeff Potter, and their two grown sons watched in the courtroom, clasping all of their hands together.

Potter displayed no obvious reaction as her attorneys argued unsuccessfully against Chu's decision to immediately arrest her and hold her without bail to await sentencing. But as she walked to a sheriff's deputy and placed her hands behind her back her husband, a retired police officer, called out.

"I love you, Kim!" he said.

"I love you," Potter replied quietly.

Defense attorneys Paul Engh and Earl Gray briefly briefly comforted Potter before she was led into a back room in handcuffs. She is being held at the women's prison in Shakopee in administrative solitary confinement separated from other inmates, presumably out of concern for her safety.

Potter's sentencing is scheduled for Feb. 18. Engh declined to comment on the verdicts. Gray, who shook his head throughout Thursday's proceeding and briefly rested his head on the attorneys' table, did not return a message seeking comment.

Outside the courthouse Wright's family members and supporters erupted in celebration. Wright's parents spoke about the convictions shortly afterwards with Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, whose office led the prosecution with assistance from the Hennepin County Attorney's Office.

"Oh my gosh, the moment that we heard guilty on the manslaughter one — emotions, every single emotion that you can imagine just running through your body at that moment," Bryant said. "I kind of let out a yelp because it was built up... Now we've been able to process it. We want to thank the entire prosecution team. We want to thank community support — everybody who's been out there who has supported us in this long fight for accountability."

Bryant declined to comment when asked what she thought of Potter's testimony last week during which Potter broke down sobbing and apologized twice. Wright's father, Arbuey Wright, appeared overcome with emotion and stepped away from the podium.

Ellison said the verdicts provided "a measure of accountability," but that "justice is beyond our reach for Daunte" because that could only be fulfilled by restoring his life.

"I'm very mindful today that there will be an empty chair at the Wright family dinner table during the holidays," Ellison said. "That saddens me and I once again extend my deepest condolences to them."

Ellison also addressed Potter and told the broader law enforcement community not to be discouraged. Holding their peer accountable, he said, "doesn't diminish you." Asked about his take on Potter's testimony, Ellison said, "I think it was a good sign that she was remorseful."

"I wish nothing but the best for her and her family," he said. "But the truth is she will be able to correspond with them and visit with them no matter what happens. The Wrights won't be able to talk to Daunte."

Police had pulled over Wright's car for expired tags and a dangling air freshener and discovered an arrest warrant for carrying a gun without a permit and a temporary restraining order filed against him by a woman. Wright had a female passenger with him at the time.

Wright broke free of an officer, Anthony Luckey, attempting to handcuff him and jumped back into his car. Then-Sgt. Mychal Johnson was standing outside the front passenger door and had reached into the vehicle to prevent Wright from shifting it into drive. Potter's body worn camera showed her warning Wright twice that she was going to Tase him before she shot him once in the chest with her handgun while yelling, "Taser! Taser! Taser!"

Potter's defense argued that she meant to use her Taser instead of her handgun. They told jurors she had the legal right to use a Taser or deadly force because Wright resisted arrest and put officers' lives at risk. Wright contributed to his own death by using marijuana and disobeying orders, Potter's defense argued.

Prosecutors argued that Potter acted recklessly and negligently. They told jurors she received copious training during her 26-year career and should have known better, and that even deploying a Taser was inappropriate for the situation due to the risks it posed to others. Prosecutors meticulously walked through the differences between Potter's Taser and handgun at trial and encouraged jurors to handle the deactivated weapons during their deliberations.

The sequestered jury of six women and six men reached their verdicts in about 27 hours of deliberations spread over four days. They received the case about 12:45 p.m. Monday after hearing eight days of testimony. They appeared deadlocked at 4 p.m. Tuesday, asking Chu for guidance about how to proceed, and were sent back into deliberations.

Jurors reached a verdict on second-degree manslaughter at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, and a verdict on first-degree manslaughter at 11:40 a.m. Thursday.

"The twelve of you are our heroes in this case," Chu told the jurors after reading their verdicts aloud. "I am so proud of you. You should be proud of yourselves."

The juror who handed over their verdict forms, a woman in her 40s who worked in IT as a project manager, cried at the judge's remarks and shook with emotion as jurors stood to leave the courtroom.

After jurors had been dismissed, Engh and Gray argued that Potter should not be arrested until after her sentencing, noting that she was not a danger to others and that she had abided by the terms of her bail throughout the case.

"It is the Christmas holiday season," Engh said. "She is a devoted Catholic no less, and there is no point to incarcerate her at this point in time."

"She's not going to run, she's obviously not going to commit any more crimes," Gray said.

Assistant Attorney General Matthew Frank said it's customary to immediately arrest defendants convicted of such serious charges.

"I recognize your arguments, Mr. Engh and Mr. Gray," Chu said, "but I cannot treat this case any differently than any other case."

Defendants with no criminal history such as Potter would face about seven years in prison for first-degree manslaughter and four years for second-degree manslaughter, according to state sentencing guidelines.

Prosecutors intend to argue for a longer term than recommended by the guidelines in light of "aggravating factors" they still must prove to the judge at a later date.

Potter's attorneys said in court Thursday that they will seek a lighter sentence than the guidelines recommend.

"She is amenable to probation," Engh said. "Her remorse and regret for the incident is overwhelming."

While she awaits sentencing, Potter is being held in a cell measuring roughly 10 feet by 11 feet and is beginning a 14-day quarantine because of the pandemic, said state Department of Corrections spokesman Nicholas Kimball. The Shakopee facility and all state prisons are barring visitors until at least Jan. 17 because of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus.

Pandemic restrictions aside, Potter will be permitted time out of her room for phone calls, recreation, cleaning and will have access to spiritual care resources, books and other materials as requested or needed, Kimball said.

https://www.startribune.com/jury-beg...ial/600129838/
    Many were surprised by the ruling.

To veteran attorneys, Potter verdict comes as a surprise, hints of change

The two manslaughter convictions of former Brooklyn Center police officer Kimberly Potter brought a singular reaction from the Minnesota legal community: Most were surprised if not outright stunned.

"That's not to say the evidence wasn't there," said St. Paul-based criminal and civil attorney A.L. Brown, who said he was a "bit surprised" by Thursday's verdicts.

"I think the state made the case for manslaughter but that they convicted this cop with a clean record. White. Female," he said. "We may be watching the shift. ... This may be the age of accountability, and maybe the age of accountability can lead to reform because everybody's got something in the game."

The verdict forms indicated jurors agreed on convicting Potter of second-degree manslaughter Tuesday morning. But they needed two more days of deliberations to find her guilty of first-degree manslaughter, the more significant and surprising conviction.

Defense attorney Mike Brandt said he considered Potter's act an "unconscious mistake" and thought the law's requirement that her act be conscious and purposeful was lacking.

"Obviously, the jury disagreed," he said. "This is the epitome of how fickle juries are. You never know what they're going to pick up on and what it is they're going to do."

Mitchell Hamline School of Law professor Ted Sampsell-Jones agreed. "Juries are unpredictable, especially in situations like this where the law itself is quite unclear," he said. "I thought a hung jury was fairly likely, especially given how long deliberations went, but obviously the jury was able to talk it through and reach consensus."

Brandt and Brown said the verdict suggested the tide was turning in cases involving police use of force. Potter's jury was predominantly white, but Brandt noted that Hennepin County — Minnesota's most populous and encompassing Minneapolis and the city's southern, northern and western suburbs — is a progressive region.

While juries are instructed to follow the evidence, not emotions or politics, Brandt said he suspects that the Potter jurors found it difficult to see "another unarmed Black man dying at the hands of police."

Brandon Buskey, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's criminal reform project, called the verdict a "rare glimpse" of justice for a "heartbreakingly familiar" story of a young Black man killed by an "overzealous" officer at a traffic stop.

"What we need is justice," he said. "And real justice means that these situations do not happen in the first place."

Brown said the excuses that police have made for decades — that they used force to protect themselves, their partners and their communities — no longer hold up. Video from police body-worn cameras and prosecutors willing to charge officers have changed the climate, he said.

Historically, without body camera videos, the words of a person of color against the police "meant nothing," Brown said. So the conviction of an ex-officer who is a suburban mother of two with a clean record seemedlike a shift. "We may be onto something," he said.

Former Ramsey County Attorney Susan Gaertner was wary of predicting change even though she said she was jolted by the first-degree manslaughter conviction.

"But it's hard not to conclude from this verdict that there has been a profound shift in community standards and expectations about how police do their job," she said. "I don't know that 10 years ago this case would have even been charged."

Gaertner and Brown recalled the case of Jeronimo Yanez, the St. Anthony police officer who shot and killed Philando Castile, a Black man, during a traffic stop in 2016. The following year, a Ramsey County jury acquitted the former officer of second-degree manslaughter and two counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm in Castile' death.

"I can't help but think about Philando Castile and what his case would have looked like if it had been tried today," Brown said.

Gaertner wondered whether Potter's conviction swung the pendulum too hard against police officers. "I do think a course correction in how we deal with law enforcement was needed," she said. "I do worry we're seeing an over-correction that's going to impact our ability to maintain public safety."

Washington County Attorney Pete Orput, who initially was assigned the case and charged Potter with only second-degree manslaughter, said he still thought the first-degree charge went too far.

"But how can I say that when they won?" Orput said. "Justice was served, and we'll see what happens going forward."

The convictions will be appealed, but Brown and Gaertner didn't point to any obvious issues that would allow the case to be overturned. Also, Gaertner noted that by law, appellate judges "give great deference to juries with front row seats to the facts."

Orput said of the appellate court: "They're going to carefully look at the elements of the crime without a lot of drama imposed."

The lawyers agreed the verdict sent a message.

"Now cops know if they screw up — and it doesn't have to be death — they can go to prison," Brown said. "It's called the rule of law."

https://www.startribune.com/to-veter...nge/600129974/

pew pew

'covid' death as in came in hospital with fatal wounds but was tested for covid also so a covid death number like in Austria or Holland?
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    'covid' death as in came in hospital with fatal wounds but was tested for covid also so a covid death number like in Austria or Holland?
    Covid death as in "it's just a flu", "I'm young and healthy", and "don't put that vaccine poison in me".

pigs rarely wear masks and are largely the most retarded portion of the population

I am sure they all got killed by BLM protesters, but happened to have covid at the time.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    I am sure they all got killed by BLM protesters, but happened to have covid at the time.
    Those damn BLM assassins!
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..