hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: [DEVBLOG] nex retail pricing strategy

[DEVBLOG] nex retail pricing strategy

Quote Originally Posted by CCP Zinfandel
    As requested in last week's special CSM summit

EVE Online players and the Council of Stellar Management have been asking questions, looking to understand the pricing strategy unfolding in the in-game virtual goods store The Noble Exchange (NeX.) The store opened with relatively few items, which was "by design" so we could take small measured initial steps in virtual goods sales. However there weren't enough items in the store to build a very clear image of pricing strategy. In an effort to help players understand our approach to pricing, we have prepared this dev blog.

In hindsight, we likely should have launched the Noble Exchange separately from Incarna 1.0 to separate launch issues from the store. However sometimes you just have to take that first step to see what happens.

Ideally we would have wanted more goods available in the low-tier price range for sale in the store. For example having one full outfit available in each price tier would have clarified a lot of the misunderstanding that followed the launch.

What's this about pricing tiers? Yes. We are planning to offer clothing and accessories at an affordable tier, a mid-tier, and a deluxe tier, with occasional exceptional offers of rare goods for a very limited number of customers. And our plan is to fill in these pieces gradually over the summer and fall but we may need to revise that plan due to the apparent gap in price tiers. To understand tiers, it helps to understand outfits and slots.

Wearing Clothing in Slots

From bottom to top order, you can currently wear items in the following slots: Footwear, Bottoms, Tops, Outer, and Eyewear slots. You can only wear one item in each slot.

Our fashion designers are making coordinated outfits. The descriptive text will often tell you which New Eden design house created the piece you are inspecting in the store. There are also some independent pieces not designed for a particular outfit (for example, the current eyewear.)

Click image to enlarge

How do the tiers work?

The items in the Noble Exchange come in several price ranges. Normally, an outfit will all come from one pricing tier. An affordable tier outfit can be purchased and assembled for roughly the value of one PLEX in total - slightly cheaper if you are fortunate enough to time your purchase well.

Mid-tier outfits will be priced such that an outfit will total approximately 3-4 PLEX, depending on individual elements.

Deluxe tier outfits are aimed at flamboyantly rich capsuleers regardless of whether they measure their wealth in ISK, Aurum, PLEX, or currencies from Earth. While price is of little concern for these players, they could find themselves spending two or three times the price of an affordable outfit on a single piece for their ensemble. An exceptional tier is rumored to exist that represents a very special and rare investment for the wealthiest members of the EVE community.

Aurum versus ISK

Remember, these items can and will be available for ISK as long as someone puts them up for sale there. As with the rest of EVE the market is based on supply and demand and selling clothes may become a lucrative way of making some additional ISK. If you are currently wearing an outfit, it is effectively indestructible so put it on before you leave if you're making your purchase at a well-traveled market hub like Jita.

Enjoy your purchases now in the privacy of your own quarters. Then show them off later in public establishments when the doors into the station are opened.
    http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=936
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Blog
    An affordable tier outfit can be purchased and assembled for roughly the value of one PLEX in total.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dstopia
    WHERE IS CCP AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THEM?????

:superderp:

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    Frankly, with how batshit insane a lot of eve players are with their valuations of time and investment, and lets be generous and say 3% of eve's subscribers (150,000 people, not accounts) are willing to buy vanity items at a cost of approximately $120 (Four PLEX), CCP will make, perhaps, $570,000. Sounds like a fair bit, but if CCP had more than 27 people working for a year (or 54 people for six months) on this feature, they won't break even on the feature.

It's ugly for all involved; there is now a profit incentive to put the company's artistic output behind a pay wall, and they're going to be more and more tempted to do so as their profit projections and revenue targets change.

:supercare:

I WANT TO SPIN MY SHIP.

Quote Originally Posted by smagd View Post
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by blog
    Footwear, Bottoms, Tops, Outer, and Eyewear slots
    That means that 3500 AUR gets you 5 items, so 700 AUR each, or $4.
    nevar forget

Smuggo
    Can't they do a Primark range for poorfags like me?

almost three weeks after the deed :golfclap:

still dont care

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    I hate to get personal, and it is not intended that way. But Zinfandel .. he just does not learn does he?

Serious facepalm.

And yes, basically whoever concocted this is creating a self fulfilling prophecy, where they are required to engage even further on it under the guise of - and this is just a case of facedesking - experimenting with how much you can shove down the throat of the golden goose.

So not only are they continuing to take the same risks, without change. They are also tying themselves down on the road to go even deeper on this.
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

Wow, they really have gone completely fucking insane.

All the clothing looks shit anyway v0v

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    Serious question: was this blog ran by the CSM?
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

I was wondering; When was the last dev blog that had something to do with actual spaceships?

Also this is from the current SiSi build:

just release a "naked set" for around 50 PLEX, would easily break even without much effort

If I could get an outfit for one plex, and if anyone else could see it and if I spent enough time docked to make it worthwhile, I'd probably forgo getting another ship that I'd never undock to buy a plex and convert it to aurum. But why the everloving shit didnt they release stuff at the cheap and affordable level to start with, then introduce the ability to sell aurum for isk and then consider introducing higher teir products.

Market penetration, uptake, trends... I get all my business knowledge from the apprentice but I honestly think I could have designed a better strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xennith View Post
    But why the everloving shit didnt they release stuff at the cheap and affordable level to start with, then introduce the ability to sell aurum for isk and then consider introducing higher teir products.
    Same reason Sony introduced the PS3 with everything on it making it like $700 when it first came out. You get all that 'Got to have the latest and greatest NOW!' crowd's money. Then once those sales start to dip a bit, introduce a lower end product that is in the range of those who were not willing to spend the crazy amount of money.

Guess time will tell about this, hey.

Fucking lunacy , make everything 99c/p to start with and then work from there. Wont make them masses of cash but may get people hooked which is what they should be wanting.

For supposed clever people they are fuckin retarded beyond belief

God dammmnnn, CCP just keep on delivering the turd don't they.

Eve Online, more like Versace online and just as retarded.

Watch PLEX prices not rise as nobody gives a shit about these items.

Also:
    "An exceptional tier is rumored to exist that represents a very special and rare investment for the wealthiest members of the EVE community."

The thing is that with CCP having butchered the old art style I care even less about buying this stuff than I otherwise might have. Where are those gallente visors that look like they're part of a station? etc. I don't really give too many shits about how my dude looks anymore seeing as they made me not care by having me redo him after many years.