hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Skull & Bones: pirate boates with pvp and shit

  1. #1

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,317

    Skull & Bones: pirate boates with pvp and shit

    You lads might like this, it doesn't actually look that bad.


  2. #2
    Meester's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25, 2011
    Posts
    1,320
    Seems more are following Black Flag's lead and capitalising on pirate games long after Pirates of the Caribbean.

    Its a start, maybe the same will be done for wild west games in the future?

  3. #3
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,211
    I think it's the only title from big publishers I'm eagerly awaiting. Just use AC:BF gameplay with bigger carribean map and lots of shanties as a soundtrack and I'm sold.

  4. #4
    DevilDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,729
    hrm, they're trying to get way WAY too fancy with age of sail style combat, I was dubious on it till they started talking about the big ship being able to act as a tank and anchoring mid fight so that it could rapid fire it's cannons. Sorry but if you're going to do age of sail combat you strait can't be this retarded. It'll be for honor in the ocean, lots of hype, the illusion of depth, and no one playing it two weeks post release.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    hrm, they're trying to get way WAY too fancy with age of sail style combat, I was dubious on it till they started talking about the big ship being able to act as a tank and anchoring mid fight so that it could rapid fire it's cannons. Sorry but if you're going to do age of sail combat you strait can't be this retarded. It'll be for honor in the ocean, lots of hype, the illusion of depth, and no one playing it two weeks post release.
    For Honor is doing ok, it was just seriously mislabeled and marketed.

    And why the fuck cant you get fancy with it, it's fantasy pirates, all it matters is if it's fun.

  6. #6
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    29,758
    DD nipped it in the bud, really

  7. #7
    DevilDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

    And why the fuck cant you get fancy with it, it's fantasy pirates, all it matters is if it's fun.
    I apologize in advance but I'm going ham on you here.

    So the problem with Getting Fancy is that 1, they shouldn't need to, age of sail style combat is complicated enough as it is, to do it right you need to master the sailing qualities of multiple classes of ship and understand how they perform in different wind conditions and then be able to use that knowledge to assess the capabilities of an opponent. This translates into a game of position and manuever where the prevailing conditions play a factor, and in the best examples using knowledge and strategy to adapt to changing conditions is involved.

    The second problem is that 'fancy' is actually just generic, I'm all for a little customization, swapping out cannons or shot for example are great ideas, the various artillery on display was strait up retarded though, mortars were sometimes used, but that was for shore bombardment, hitting a moving target with one of those from the deck of a ship at sea would be astronomically unlikely. The congreave rockets are even more insane, yes let's fire off a bunch of ineffective rockets and bathe the deck full of powder kegs and loaded cannon in sparks.

    Even cooldowns aren't necessarily bad, (PotBS did them quite well) but the one that they mentioned anchoring mid combat to "fire without restriction" shows a basic lack of understanding of how ships work, how AoS combat is supposed to work, and possibly critically who this game's best audience is likely to be and what they want.

    So what I'm seeing here, is an AoS ship combat game, that replaces all the elements that should be it's core gameplay with game mechanics lifted strait out of MOBAs many of which don't even fit the basic concept of the game it's trying to be. Where true AoS mechanics have real depth and require skill and mastery that can be developed for years, this has moba mechanics that can be mastered in seconds and are inherently shallow. We're being offered the illusion of depth here and the infuriating thing is I've seen game after game made by much smaller studios do this very well. There was already a great formula in place to build on but ubisoft has decided to make an open world+MOBA elements game with a lot of visual polish, when if they'd just riffed off the classic AoS formula they could have had something much more rare and exciting.

    I'm not even asking for hyper realism, just some adherence to the basic principles of the type of game they're trying to make this look like.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,317
    Groan.

    I'm not even asking for hyper realism, just some adherence to the basic principles of the type of game they're trying to make this look like.
    They're trying to make a fun game with boats, it doesn't need hyperautism in it.

    I've seen game after game made by much smaller studios do this very well.
    Yeah? Where are they? Man they sure are popular and totally weren't either niche af or died horrible deaths.

  9. #9
    DevilDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Groan.

    I'm not even asking for hyper realism, just some adherence to the basic principles of the type of game they're trying to make this look like.
    They're trying to make a fun game with boats, it doesn't need hyperautism in it.
    oh fuck right off.

    I've seen game after game made by much smaller studios do this very well.
    Yeah? Where are they? Man they sure are popular and totally weren't either niche af or died horrible deaths.
    PotBS is still around, granted it's smaller but that's more due to mismanagement and overreach than anything else, the fact that it's still active at all is pretty indicative that people really like what it does right (sailing combat).

    Other games like Sid Meier's Pirates and Age of Sail are fucking legendary and were highly commercially successful in their time, I don't see how people not playing a good 15-20 year old game that hasn't been supported in decades but is still a household name among the gaming community is an argument against the mechanics they used.

    As to fun? what fun? I don't find overused mechanics and lack of depth fun. I like stuff I can sink my teeth into. I like substance, this shows little substance and a lot of flash. Hell we still don't even know how it's going to be monetized so there's another minefield waiting there too.

  10. #10
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,669
    Combat looks retarded. One broadside takes down a two decker? okay then.

  11. #11
    Ashaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 29, 2011
    Posts
    3,558
    Using "autism" as an argument.

    2015 want their edgy internet jargong back.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    Using "autism" as an argument.
    Ok.
    Last edited by Isyel; June 12 2018 at 09:09:06 PM.

  13. #13
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,211
    I have Naval Action to fill my Age of Sail needs. I loved Black Flag too with it's focus on arcadish fun and faster pace. This exists to play out your Jack Sparrow fantasies, not Horatio Nelson.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    I have Naval Action to fill my Age of Sail needs. I loved Black Flag too with it's focus on arcadish fun and faster pace. This exists to play out your Jack Sparrow fantasies, not Horatio Nelson.
    Yup, it's not like we can have only one type of sailing game, let us have our silly pirate shenenigans with ridiculous scenes.

  15. #15
    DevilDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    Using "autism" as an argument.
    Ok.
    actually my complaint wasn't about not having historically accurate boats, that's basically impossible since most boats of that period were custom made so any given example of a class would be unique. My objection is that they appear to have surgically removed the complexity in favor of overused gimmicks stolen from MOBAs.

  16. #16
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    29,758
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    Using "autism" as an argument.
    Ok.
    actually my complaint wasn't about not having historically accurate boats, that's basically impossible since most boats of that period were custom made so any given example of a class would be unique. My objection is that they appear to have surgically removed the complexity in favor of overused gimmicks stolen from MOBAs.
    WHY DO YOU HATE FUN RRRREEEEEEEEE

  17. #17
    DevilDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,729
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    Using "autism" as an argument.
    Ok.
    actually my complaint wasn't about not having historically accurate boats, that's basically impossible since most boats of that period were custom made so any given example of a class would be unique. My objection is that they appear to have surgically removed the complexity in favor of overused gimmicks stolen from MOBAs.
    WHY DO YOU HATE FUN RRRREEEEEEEEE
    lol

  18. #18

    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    Unsubbed
    Posts
    2,571
    If you want naval combat realism go play Sea Dogs. This shit looks hilarious and fun, hopefully there's some coop options.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •