hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fallout 76

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    are FO1 and 2 even canon anymore?

Watched the BE3 show which has a bit more ingame footage and am now a bit more interested. Might not be quite as bad as all that. November isn't too far away either.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    it's also why the place is filled with supermutants
    There better not be any, since they did not exist until a decade or two before the events of Fallout 1.
    east coast and west coast supermutants aren't the same, they're products of the same basic experiment with FEV but conducted different places, the first east coast ones date from 2078 and originate from vault 87 in the capital wasteland, so yes, the game will have them.

the institute strain encountered in fallout 4 is quite different from the east and west coast variety apparently.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

NoClip doc on 76 went up today. Goes into more detail on some stuff, which has bumped me up from disinterested to curious.

PvE side sounds kind of like playing a Bethseda game while ignoring the main quest (so playing a Bethseda game) with an emphasis on stumbling across locations & quests.

No raider NPCs but there are ghouls with guns, so basically raider NPCs.

Nukes will be end game PvE content rather than just the griefer dream weapon they sounded like in the E3 presentation.

PvP I'm not so sure about, as they still don't really seem to know what they want to do with it beyond having it - which makes one worry it won't be very well implemented at launch. Talk of a TDM mode being added later on.

Base building it cleared up a question I had about how permanent player bases will jive with random server allocation. Either your base will be where it was or packed up so you can move it. Bases sound like they're mostly about crafting gear, weapons etc.

Microtransactions will be cosmetic only & DLC will be free, but the perk cards make me wonder if they will or initially planned to sell card packs.

Biggest questions on my mind atm are how loot & equipment will work with PvP & player death.

here it is if people are interested.

I was always under the impression FO was about the lore/story/characters. I guess I don't see the point of a co-op/pvp/survival game in this universe. An actual MMO could be interesting if done correctly.

Personally I find the stories in terminals, notes & environmental cues more interesting than most of what actual characters offer in Bethseda's Fallout games, so I ain't complaining if that's going to be the bulk of what's on offer this time.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    I was always under the impression FO was about the lore/story/characters. I guess I don't see the point of a co-op/pvp/survival game in this universe. An actual MMO could be interesting if done correctly.
    In theory, a post-nuclear-apoc. game set in a comfortable and familiar universe with survival and PvP elements should be a big hit, appealing to fans of both genres. Worst case, it alienates it's core RPG audience, and doesn't interest the survival/PvP Shooter crowd and fails horribly.

If Zombie this and Zombie that, and battle area-this and battle-aerna that do as well as many of them do, many of whom are rather poor designs (Day-Z anyone?), a Fallout-set Day-Z-esque game should do pretty well.

Big question is crossover (and mechanics too I suppose) really. A goodly number of gamers tend to like their specific game genre (Slow RPG's for instance) and shy away from others (FPS'er area games for instance). And bad mechanics (especially shooting) can be killer.

If the new Fallout can bridge the gap, it could be ok.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I mean it would help if FO had good gameplay, but FO4 exchanged progression in that area for regression in just about all the others (dialogue, RPG elements etc)

I cant fucking stand the building in FO4, its fucking tedium brown looking shit, made from picking up every piece of trash on the ground, and putting into the magical trashgrinderbuildwhateverthefuck benches that exist in these games.

Building more of it just to tower defence then against increasingly derpy big monsters that turn up, and dickhead players who will inevitbly want to grief... its just some sort of DayZ mod vs Rust isnt it.
    Vs Metal gear survive.

I dunno. How do you roleplay beyond 'character class' in a basebuilding game? the guns you use shouldnt define your character, you are a heavy, you are a sniper, you use energy Tech, you use knives etc.

Well, why don't you just not build?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    or use one of the addons dedicated to literately doing that shit for you?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    or use one of the addons dedicated to literately doing that shit for you?
    This.

Sim settlements is god tier.

Depends into which category his play style falls:

1) Do want the advantages of settlements, but hate the actual settlement gameplay: go Sim Settlement
    2) Do not want settlements at all: just don't build

I somehow was under the impression that it was the later.

What about the 3rd camp who feel that the addition of settlements took dev time away from making an actual good game, and that the design vision which included settlement building was stupid at the outset?

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    What about the 3rd camp who feel that the addition of settlements took dev time away from making an actual good game, and that the design vision which included settlement building was stupid at the outset?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I played the game before all the mods. In game, the story points you towards building settlement elements, so I did. I wasnt aware of the negative posibilities of if i dont then maintain them, so tried to maintain them, seen as thats where NPCs congrigrated that were part of the storyline.

I dont want to mod out what feels as intended to be part of the game play, I just dont play FO4 after the first run through, so, yes, I now choose option 4.

I like the FO landscape, having played them all, except the console brotherhood game or whatever that was.
    The issue with the game was half of it was build around settlement building as a time sink, the other half was devoid of meaningfull choice, I didnt so much roleplay, as I played a specifically writen story on rails.

There isnt anything pulling me back to play it again, even without the building elements being in the way. My concerns are that FO5 is doubling down on what I think are the worst aspects of FO4, so yes, my option is not to play, as thats likely the option ill take. But i wish it wasnt.

I wish it was more like FO3.

FO4 reminded me of Metroid Other M's "SAVE THE BABY" where your character has all of their agency stripped away and railroaded down a plotline that you aren't given much of a reason to care about

Other M was garbage for a number of other reasons too