hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soundbar for TV?

Soundbar for TV?

I'm looking for a soundbar to attach to my TV. I'm a laymen, when it comes to this, so here's my naive wishlist:

- Nothing fancy sound-wise
    I don't need some kind of "cinematic 5.1 surround/<other buzzwords>" sound. It should simply improve over the TV's builtin speakers, without making the sound worse, i.e. very prominent bass that kills everything else.

- Nothing fancy function-wise
    I don't need to do it internet radio, connect to other speakers, interact with Alexa/Siri etc., play my mum's playlist of my dad's media server, which's located 100km away by being able to connec through some fancy "cloud" thingy. Just do that TV stuff. I do not intend to plug other systems into it either.

- Connecting to TV
    I assume that's either Bluetooth or HDMI.

- Single piece of hardware
    I'd like to avoid having more than 1 piece of hardware, i.e. separate subwoofer.

- Price?
    I have no clue. Systems seems to start at the 200+ EUR mark, which I assume is mostly rubbish. So let's assume I'm willing to spend ~ 500 EUR maybe?

Given the above, any recommendations you folks could suggest? If you know any pitfalls I should be watching out for, I'd be pleased if you could post 'em, too.

I got myself a Q Acoustics M2 soundbase and it's phenomenally good. The HDMI ARC setup makes it seamless. It is on the large side, so if you're short on space they also do a couple of soundbars (M3 and M4; the M4 has +5w on the tweeters and +10w on the sub) that should fit almost anywhere. Should fit within your €500 budget.
    Last edited by elmicker; June 8 2018 at 04:03:03 PM.

For 500 eur you are looking at the very nice stuff from Bose if prices are on parity with the UK.

I have a cheap 150 LG offering which is 2.1 and has a seperate subwoofer. I struggled with the HDMI ARC thing so i stuck with good 'ol optical. Works great!

I will say, my wife shares your hatred of a seperate subwoofer. But the wireless subwoofer hidden behind the sofa really makes the sound so much richer. So if you have a spot behind the sofa and a spare outlet, don't write it off. You wont have trailing cables!

I set my grandma up with a Polk Signa S1. Its just a simple optical audio and power cable. Has a separate sub woofer, but they make the Signa Solo which is just the sound bar w/o the woofer.

I highly recommend optical over any other type of connection, its simply the best.

$200 for the S1
    $120 for the Solo

Almost any sound bar is going to have better audio than the TV speakers.. Get one with at least a separate speaker for base. Don't bother with the expensive ones as you are usually spending enough for a real amp and surround set by then anyway and the audio quality of a real surround set will blow any sound bar out of the water.

I also second using optical audio it your TV supports it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

First off ignore Bose.

Do you want something slim because you wall mounted your TV, or does your TV sit on a TV unit?

If the latter you could get a soundbase and have your TV sit on it.

I own a soundbase by Teufel. It connects via hdmi and is as basic as it gets. Sound is amazing, Interstellar has some massive bass as I found out while watching (pretty much everything was shaking without droning).

https://www.teufel.de/soundbars/cinebase-p14707.html

Teufel also offers a bunch of soundbars. They usually add a subwoofer to the set up to add the necessary bass.

Spoiler:

Audio equipment is also not that universal. There are a lot of "small" companies that barely sell outside their countries. Polk isn't easy to get in Germany, we have Canton instead (they also have a soundbase). Then we also have a few direct sale companies like Teufel (from Berlin) and Nubert (really good and affordable). The difference between the two is that Teufel mostly offers active speaker systems for TV, whereas Nubert is almost exclusively making hifi speakers that need extra amplifiers (they do have a soundbase iirc).

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

We have a samsung soundbar, it's really nice. Wall mounted under the TV, supports a range of inputs so we have aux in, bluetooth for music etc.
    It will do multiroom integration with other portable samsung speakers too to sync music between rooms.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Thanks for all the answers so far, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    I will say, my wife shares your hatred of a seperate subwoofer.
    It's not "hate", it's just that I find that the need for two pieces of hardware for the minimal goal I'd like to achieve a bit overkill. I won't exclude a seperate subwoofer categorically, but I'd be happier to go without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Do you want something slim because you wall mounted your TV, or does your TV sit on a TV unit?
    Wall mounted TV, but with a same sized cupboard beneath it to fit stuff, if needed. It's just that if such a device has (almost) the length of the cupboard's top, the positioning of it and the other stuff on that cupboard becomes a 'lil difficult.

I own a soundbase by Teufel. It connects via hdmi and is as basic as it gets. Sound is amazing, Interstellar has some massive bass as I found out while watching (pretty much everything was shaking without droning).

https://www.teufel.de/soundbars/cinebase-p14707.html
    It so happened that I was looking at exactly that one (also this one) before posting here. . I own Teufel gear already and they currently have a sale going (400 vs. 600 EUR).

Overall, looking at your answers as a whole, it seems I can lower my spending budget a bit without sacrificing too much quality, if any. And based on your feedback, I will reconsider that subwoofer thing. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts/experience/opinion.

Without subwoofer you might as well keep your TV speakers tbh. Sound that has volume (hard to explain, but being full bodied, with a decent bass and highs that can be differentiated from the rest) needs big enclosures generally, a fact dictated by physics.

Tapapapatalk

Edit: totally abuse the Teufel sale. Get the THX soundbars. It's amazing. They have a store here in Berlin and the sound bar is great. If I had wall mounted mine, I would have gotten that.
    nevar forget

Without subwoofer you might as well keep your TV speakers tbh. Sound that has volume (hard to explain, but being full bodied, with a decent bass and highs that can be differentiated from the rest) needs big enclosures generally, a fact dictated by physics.
    I know. In my youth I've been a muscian and sound engineer. But I'm also not an audio fanatic for my personal consumption. And even the bass speakers in the single soundbar has a larger diameter than the TV speakers.

Edit: totally abuse the Teufel sale. Get the THX soundbars. It's amazing.
    Which one? This?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I know. In my youth I've been a muscian and sound engineer. But I'm also not an audio fanatic for my personal consumption. And even the bass speakers in the single soundbar has a larger diameter than the TV speakers.

Edit: totally abuse the Teufel sale. Get the THX soundbars. It's amazing.
    Which one? This?
    Yes, not that the smaller ones are bad, but this is bad-ass. The store is in a noisy location - Ku'damm - and this one easily manages to make itself heard.
    nevar forget

To follow up: after some tape measuring, due to space considerations/restrictions, I've ordered the Teufel Cinebase. Will follow up once it arrives and I've used it a bit.

To follow up: after some tape measuring, due to space considerations/restrictions, I've ordered the Teufel Cinebase. Will follow up once it arrives and I've used it a bit.
    It's what I have. You may want to secure more fragile things.
    nevar forget

I just recognized that Teufel also has an international web presence over at http://www.teufelaudio.com/, in case you guys want to check out the stuff Joe and I were commenting about here.

Follow-up as promised:

After ~ 1 week of use, I'm quite pleased with it. It fits like it's taylor-made right between the two speakers of my music system on my old sturdy oak cupboard*). I initially struggled to get it to work, because Android(TV)'s settings are Andoid settings (aka "a mess and all over the place"), which are even "enhanced" by the OEM's (Philips) customizations. And after randomly checking the options that to me made sense in regards to where I expect sound settings to be found, I had to systematically go throught all options in order to find the setting to activate external speakers.

As for the Cinebaser itself, the subwoofer sound is even better than I expected it to be. But I'm still experimenting with the sound settings. Both my TV and this one have various preset ('Music', 'Movie' etc.) sound settings and I'm still toying around with those a bit to find a "sounds good with everything" setting. I'm not longing for perfect quality here, but rather a setting that I can keep permanently, as I can't be arsed to switch around everytime.

And as all these digital things (HDMI et al) are still new-fangled stuff for me, I was quite pleased to find out the the volume of the Cinebase reacts to the TV's RC, along with it starting up and shuting down with the TV. Cue Arthur C. Clarke's quote about advanced tech and magic.

tl;dr
    +1, woul buy again.

We are going to pick up our very first soundbar on Friday, a Panasonic one for a Panasonic TV. It will be interesting to see how it performs for 200.

So, my TV started to automagically change channels. Any idea what it may be? When it does that it doesn't react at all to the remote and the only button that works is the "menu" butan on the TV itself.

Disconnected the Chromecast, seems to happen less often.

Guess I'll need to pop it open and see if there are any swollen caps. Thing is 10 years old at least, but I don't want to buy a new TV since this one does what I need (PS3, Chromecast, netflix).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Replace the battery in the remote.

It's not the remote, removed the batteries completely and it still does it.

I just simply can't justify a new TV based on how much I'm using it per-se (barely, if at all for weeks on end).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Fair enough, replacement TV it is. We are about to sell an old LG 32" (LCD 1080p) if you are near Peterborough.