hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Friday] You may already be a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    According to your last post Joe, it heavily implied that European/German Amazon delivery was far superior to American Amazon - in terms of delivery speed regardless of the size of of the respective continents.
    Nope, as a reminder of the size. You know, it's the little differences, like how it's a Royal with Cheese and not a Quarter Pounder.
    *royale
    I actually paused for a second pondering whether there is an e. German McD spells it Royal, even though they tend to stick to English spelling everywhere else, apostrophe included.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I don't think there's anything passive about my aggression.
    Well, then was the aggression necessary? You could have made your point in a much more polite (Germans would say stereotypically English) manner.
    No it wasn't. I don't *actually* pity your students, I'm assured that you come off much better in person than you do online.

To assemble my post with some tact; It's your obstinate defensiveness that reminds me of what I hate about discussion on the internet in general: A desperate craving to show everyone who's reading, if only for a fleeting moment, that you know better. That you know something they don't. Thousands of small, innocuous passive aggressive "corrections" that are purely for the pathetic edification of those that make them.

I think the German word is "Besserwisser"

I'm not saying you're the worst for it. You aren't. You're an insightful and interesting man but I wish this harmful way that we have of conveying what we know and care about wasn't so grating.

I've called it "performative posting" before and I try to avoid it. I haven't managed today and that's my fault but the reason I made my point as abrasively as I did is a desperate attempt to communicate that this sort of stubbornness about the things we say that aren't always crafted with enough care is shitty discourse and everyone would be enriched if we saw less of it.

It's exactly what pollutes the political threads to the point where discussion isn't possible anymore and I'm guilty of it too and that's not ok.

This is a grievance that is unfair to take out on you but you were the closest target today and I apologise. I like to imagine that even though we butt heads all the time we have enough mutual understanding to try to improve our discourse by talking with each other and contribute a little bit to reversing the horrible toxicity of this forum.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I think you Euro's just have land mass envy.

Only people with small countries say size doesn't matter.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Also Liare has got a lot of value for money out of his bicycle purchase since it spawned this nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    I think you Euro's just have land mass envy.

Only people with small countries say size doesn't matter.
    The real North American thiccness.

Well, then was the aggression necessary? You could have made your point in a much more polite (Germans would say stereotypically English) manner.
    No it wasn't. I don't *actually* pity your students, I'm assured that you come off much better in person than you do online.

To assemble my post with some tact; It's your obstinate defensiveness that reminds me of what I hate about discussion on the internet in general: A desperate craving to show everyone who's reading, if only for a fleeting moment, that you know better. That you know something they don't. Thousands of small, innocuous passive aggressive "corrections" that are purely for the pathetic edification of those that make them.

I'm not saying you're the worst for it. You aren't. You're an insightful and interesting man but I wish this harmful way that we have of conveying what we know and care about wasn't so grating.

I've called it "performative posting" before and I try to avoid it. I haven't managed today and that's my fault but the reason I made my point as abrasively as I did is a desperate attempt to communicate that this sort of stubbornness about the things we say that aren't always crafted with enough care is shitty discourse and everyone would be enriched if we saw less of it.

It's exactly what pollutes the political threads to the point where discussion isn't possible anymore and I'm guilty of it too and that's not ok.

This is a grievance that is unfair to take out on you but you were the closest target today and I apologise. I like to imagine that even though we butt heads all the time we have enough mutual understanding to try to improve our discourse by talking with each other and contribute a little bit to reversing the horrible toxicity of this forum.
    I accept your apology.

I am sorry that I won't be crafting a wonderful reply right now, but it's 2am and way too hot and humid.
    nevar forget

I accept your apology.

I am sorry that I won't be crafting a wonderful reply right now, but it's 2am and way too hot and humid.
    That's fine

Great Friday thread everyone we're done here for tonight!

Also Liare has got a lot of value for money out of his bicycle purchase since it spawned this nonsense
    a-yup, do continue to provide additional value though!
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Shut up you faggots

Sent from my iPhtapa
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Shut up you faggots

Sent from my iPhtapa
    stop being bad, cullnerd.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Le Double Royale post

Sent from my iPhtapa
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

FWIW, depending on where the package ships from, I’ve had same day delivery on a Sunday before. Prime means no more than 2 days. Not absolutely 2 days...

Also, Europe is tiny.
    meh

I still don’t get it, someone help lol. If there are a bunch of distribution centres in the US, where Amazon is literally from, is it not reasonable to expect one-day delivery?

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I still don’t get it, someone help lol. If there are a bunch of distribution centres in the US, where Amazon is literally from, is it not reasonable to expect one-day delivery?
    For the whole country? No even remotely. Some places are just too far away. And you are a lawyer, if they can't guarantee same day delivery for bumfuck nowhere Wyoming, would you advise them to advertise next day delivery or pick the safe option of two-day delivery?
    nevar forget

For the whole country? No even remotely. Some places are just too far away. And you are a lawyer, if they can't guarantee same day delivery for bumfuck nowhere Wyoming, would you advise them to advertise next day delivery or pick the safe option of two-day delivery?
    The safe option, obviously. But it’s Amazon - I thought they were capable of that. Colour me surprised.

Capitalism 101. Why make a premium service you can charge $5 extra for part of the base offering.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    The safe option, obviously. But it’s Amazon - I thought they were capable of that. Colour me surprised.
    Amazon isn't Wal-Mart in the sense that they don't stock everything everywhere. Population distribution is also a bit different here.

One-day delivery can serve maybe 80% of the population. Two-day will serve 90-95%. Mules are still used in extreme cases.

When I ordered a package from Newegg (Arcadia, CA to Minnesota), FedEx decided to ship it via truck instead of throw it on a plane. Estimated delivery was 4 days, but with no truck service on Sat/Sun, it will take a full 7 days to get here.
    Last edited by Nordstern; June 10 2018 at 02:00:29 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    According to your last post Joe, it heavily implied that European/German Amazon delivery was far superior to American Amazon - in terms of delivery speed regardless of the size of of the respective continents.
    Nope, as a reminder of the size. You know, it's the little differences, like how it's a Royal with Cheese and not a Quarter Pounder.
    I have to agree with the others, your original post absolutely sounded disparaging.

Lost in translation etc?

#justenglishthings

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Amazon isn't Wal-Mart in the sense that they don't stock everything everywhere. Population distribution is also a bit different here.

One-day delivery can serve maybe 80% of the population. Two-day will serve 90-95%. Mules are still used in extreme cases.

When I ordered a package from Newegg (Arcadia, CA to Minnesota), FedEx decided to ship it via truck instead of throw it on a plane. Estimated delivery was 4 days, but with no truck service on Sat/Sun, it will take a full 7 days to get here.
    V informative, ty