hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Project Gorgon

Project Gorgon

https://projectgorgon.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34...roject_Gorgon/

Project: Gorgon is a new Massively Multiplayer Online Game ‘MMORPG’ brought to you by Elder Game Studios. Elder Game Studios is led by husband and wife duo Eric Heimburg and Sandra Powers. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games. Sandra also has extensive experience working as a Producer on Asheron’s Call 1, Asheron’s Call: Throne of Destiny, EverQuest II, and EverQuest II: Echoes of Faydwer.

Project: Gorgon features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result, there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill-based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.
    So far (less than a day playing) i get the feeling i did when i first played EQ1. The graphics and UI may look prehistoric but they manage not to be, they may look like low polly models with low res textures but there is enough modelled detail and the textures bare up under scrutiny that it is not painful.
    NPC interactions are smooth and polished there is a depth to them but it is not hidden or obfuscated, the world maps are simple but so far feel open and not overly managed or focused. Combat and skills are varied and allow for a lot of exploration and experimentation, with some very strange crossovers and some not so strange ones, ie. calligraphy helps sword skills while anatomy helps archery etc.

Any one else taking a look or had their interest piqued?

https://youtu.be/lCbqcWESWPo
    https://youtu.be/IiMR8djAFO4

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Looks pretty interesting. Are there a lot of servers/diff servers for EU/NA etc and what're you playing on if so?

So far just the one server I believe (I did not notice and choice at char gen), I think there were about 400 people online last night in total, apparently that is up from 40 before the steam release.

It is early access but they are saying at a beta level, ie all the core mechanics are done, and content and polish is being added now but so far it is good enough.

Consider me piqued; I saw the weemcast video earlier and yeah it sounds interesting.
    How long it'll remain so I don't know, but I managed to play Eco for 70 odd hours, so eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    Consider me piqued; I saw the weemcast video earlier and yeah it sounds interesting.
    How long it'll remain so I don't know, but I managed to play Eco for 70 odd hours, so eh.
    First time today for a while I want to get home and not just so that i can get out of the office.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Made a Rakshasa called Jolin. No idea how anything works, as I only got 30 mins in before I went to bed.

Just... why...

Played this off and on over the years (yeah it was in alpha for ages) and it's definitely got something going for it for us old fuckers who get nostalgic for EQ1.

I think the main thing that ultimately makes me bounce off it is the zero death penalty though. After everything I think that's the definitive part of EQ that made it special, being down at the bottom of lguk or some place knowing how fucked you'd be if things went south, meaning you'd only go with people you trusted and you'd be completely engaged in the game. In PG dying isn't only not something to care much about, it's also the most practical way to fast-travel in the game (once you level up your dying skill, hah).

Yeah there's a hardcore mode you can turn on, but nobody uses it and the fact its optional makes it feel like straight-up masochism (yeah I know I'm clearly already towing that line) rather than doing anything for the game's immersion.

There's a pretty cool thing with elite bosses giving you a "permanent" curse if they kill you, which you can't clear until you've killed them back... But in reality these end up being mostly insignificant (except the one that halves your inventory size, fuck that one) and easily to just get someone to clear it for you. Neat idea though.

It's a good lazy sunday game to kill some time on a hangover or whatever though. Just feels like it could do a lot more to bring back the old school MMO.

I mean, it is, straight up nostalgic masochism. Death penalties don't really add anything but tedium in games where it takes a while do do shit.

Nothing in this seems appealing in the least.

And wait, there is a dying skill? What in the fuck?
    Last edited by Isyel; April 16 2018 at 10:32:48 PM.

Cerzi I completely agree with the dying, not checked out crafting yet but if you can make items with as many extra stats as the higher tier drops then i see no reason to not have partial / full drop on death perhaps we can hope for an alternate server rule set?

So far I am still stuck with the enlarged head from the starter island Boss tempted to keep it and go caster for the +25 power (despite items giving better boosts).

But yep it sure is scratching my need for a real MMO, despite the fact that I am completely stuck all quests seem to be too high level or end up there quickly and I can kill enough stuff to make any decent money to complete them with gold. guess that is only a noob issue and I will eventually get it worked out.

Jolin look out for a bobble headed human named Tailn.