hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: [Book] Empires of EVE: Volume II

[Book] Empires of EVE: Volume II

Andrew Groen has announced that he's going to be writing a second EVE history book, the aptly named Empires of EVE: Volume II. This time the book will cover the post-BoB era up to the end of 2016 or so (2009-2016).

Go buy a hardback copy of it. And then go buy another one for that nerd you know who doesn't play EVE. The first book was absolutely fantastic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eve-volume-ii/

Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post
    The author ends the book saying he only had the resources for so much, and I think what he chose is definitely the most noteworthy bits. I really look forward to him writing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Constantine View Post
    Got my copy today - pretty happy with the Jericho Fraction and Venal Alliance bits at the beginning and the original Great Northern War. Does show what a genuinely great game it was at the beginning.
    What is this book?

Empires of EVE: A History of the Great Wars of EVE Online Volume II is a non-fiction chronicle of the incredible history of EVE Online from the years 2009-2016, and is a standalone sequel to the events of Volume I.

Volume II will give readers a full and concise crash course on both the history and gameplay of EVE Online, and is designed from the first page to be fully welcoming to both new and returning readers regardless of their level of knowledge of EVE.Hardcover Sample Page

The historical narrative takes place during EVE Online’s most popular and populous era so far. Volume II will chart the rising and falling fortunes of massive and often devious alliances of thousands of players, introduce all-new iconic characters, and investigate the climactic battles that have come to define this era of EVE Online like the Supercap Slaughter at Uemon, the last stand of TEST at 6VDT-H, and the $300,000 Bloodbath at B-R5RB.

Volume II will pick up immediately after the calamitous conclusion of the first book, as the EVE universe was reeling from the sudden collapse of its oldest empire, Band of Brothers. In place of mighty BoB, a power vacuum formed that set in motion the next great era of EVE Online as new alliances were built to shape the future of the game.

Having destroyed their blood rivals, the Goonswarm Federation faced a new challenge: figuring out what to do to stave off boredom now that their great enemy was dead. Tens of thousands of pilots had been rallied to join EVE Online to participate in the destruction of Band of Brothers' empire, and without a goal that could keep those legions united, Goonswarm began to implode.

To make matters worse, its own leader had come to believe Goonswarm was rotting from within and was planning to dissolve the alliance and rob its savings account before heading off to vacation in Mexico.

Meanwhile, the Russians began retreating en masse into the privacy of the Drone Regions where they would begin construction on a secret project to bring New Eden to its knees.

Volume II will follow the implosion and second rise of Goonswarm, the fall of the old Northern Coalition, the evolution of the Russian powerbloc the "Drone Russian Federation," the introduction of new powers like Pandemic Legion and TEST Alliance Please Ignore, and much much more.

It's a story of politics and fascinating global sociology punctuated by climactic space battles and bizarre twists that could only happen in a story that takes place on our own modern internet.Actual screenshots from historic battles of EVE's past that will be covered in this book.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Andrew Groen has announced that he's going to be writing a second EVE history book, the aptly named Empires of EVE: Volume II. This time the book will cover the post-BoB era up to the end of 2016 or so (2009-2016).

Go buy a hardback copy of it. And then go buy another one for that nerd you know who doesn't play EVE. The first book was absolutely fantastic.
    Talking about this first book ... that reminds me that I own it, but never even opened it. I should absolutely find time to read it.

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Talking about this first book ... that reminds me that I own it, but never even opened it. I should absolutely find time to read it.
    No need, you lived it
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

No need, you lived it
    Yeah, but it's always fun seeing what other people wrote about yourself.

Banned
    It is an interesting story but a bit thin. Too short. Personally found his original Fanfest presentation better than the book's execution. Hopefully the second attempt has more meat on the bones

Tempted by the second book mostly so I can try to work out who he talked to based on omission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Tempted by the second book mostly so I can try to work out who he talked to based on omission.
    Actually most interested to read when he asks dudes who have no clue what happened in a certain campaign&fight but pretend they know.

Still need to buy vol 1. Keep forgetting.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    The foundation has no Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.
    1. Dr. Bright is not allowed to found a new Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

One of the Volume II packages includes a copy of Volume I.

Any CVA references in Vol 1?
    The ignore user feature is the greatest single asset this forum offers. Use it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    CVA's been around for what, over a decade? So yeah, they're in there.

First one was a fun book. I read it when it came out during my summer holidays... at 3AM... while drunk as fuck

Kinda tempted to get the double hardback pledge because I missed out first time around and lord, I do love fancy books
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Kinda tempted to get the double hardback pledge because I missed out first time around and lord, I do love fancy books
    Seriously, do it. They're really good books. Groen did his research and it shows on the writing side. And the hardcovers include some really nice art, portraits, maps, and other assets that aren't in the other versions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Not really, no. Focusses on the rise and fall of BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

there's a combo deal on the kickstarter for both