hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Problem with router or ISP?

Donor

Problem with router or ISP?

Running an ASUS router via my fiber access point that is set to bridged mode.

Laptop via WI-FI everything is working fine.

My desktop that is cabled has issues getting online sometimes.

Randomly it tells me it's unable to reach webpages. Telling me there is no internett access.

So I thought that maybe my router was having issues. But when I run a tracert with webpages I have issues with, it passes my router with no issues. It goes up to like 13-15 and then throws a "connection timed out".

On this specific computer I have a static IP, due to some portforwarding I sat up a while ago. I also talked to my ISP and they told me to connect the cable directly to my fiberbox??

Everything worked fine, until we got this new fiberbox installed.

Any ideas what I can do? Except going directly to the fiberbox. The default WIFI that comes with the fiberbox is notoriously known for being bad as fuck.

Check the DNS settings in the router, & your OS that's having issues. Try the google ones 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to see if that changes anything (note down the previous settings first).

As for the static IP thing, possibly check the DHCP settings in the router, and/or the list of current/recent devices & their logged MACs.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TZeer View Post
    Running an ASUS router via my fiber access point that is set to bridged mode.

Laptop via WI-FI everything is working fine.

My desktop that is cabled has issues getting online sometimes.

Randomly it tells me it's unable to reach webpages. Telling me there is no internett access.

So I thought that maybe my router was having issues. But when I run a tracert with webpages I have issues with, it passes my router with no issues. It goes up to like 13-15 and then throws a "connection timed out".

On this specific computer I have a static IP, due to some portforwarding I sat up a while ago. I also talked to my ISP and they told me to connect the cable directly to my fiberbox??

Everything worked fine, until we got this new fiberbox installed.

Any ideas what I can do? Except going directly to the fiberbox. The default WIFI that comes with the fiberbox is notoriously known for being bad as fuck.
    Id try doing what they suggested and connecting direct to the fiber point and seeing if that made a difference. Maybe also try connecting the desktop via dhcp for a bit and seeing if that resolves the web issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Check the DNS settings in the router, & your OS that's having issues. Try the google ones 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to see if that changes anything (note down the previous settings first).

As for the static IP thing, possibly check the DHCP settings in the router, and/or the list of current/recent devices & their logged MACs.
    This is a good possibility too; perhaps your new fiber point uses a different DNS(s) numbers than your old one did. And since your desktop is static IP'd that wouldn't be automatically updated. If you connect via DHCP you should be able to see what the default DNSs are for your new modem and check those against what you had set in your static IP settings.
    Last edited by Straight Hustlin; February 26 2018 at 07:48:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TZeer View Post

The timeout may or may not be an issue of your machine. It is not too uncommon that routers on the way have ICMP disabled and therefore you get no answer from that hop.

But something else to consider: if you have DNS caching enabled on that machine (on Windows: the "DNS Client" service), you may experience local cache corruption (in lack of a better term). So you might want to try the command
    Code:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    from a command prompt

I personally have disabled DNS caching on all of my machines (my router's caching is enough and I don't care about the possible 1ms speed gain). It has save me from quite some weird issues that we've experiencing in the office with client caching enabled.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; February 27 2018 at 10:16:18 AM.