hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: 4GB patch for old stuff not working.

4GB patch for old stuff not working.

So I've been trying to play Oblivion again. Yea I know. not the games forum.

But the problem is the 4GB patcher.
    I download the version linked from the nexus. I also tried a "general version". I'm supposed to run the application, then through it, select the .exe to be patched and it should be done. But instead I am getting "Could not run executable" on all of them.
    What is wrong and how do I fix it? Thegame severely needs this patch.
    I've been googling for a solution, but all I find is other people having the same problem and not finding any help.

Either some OS compatibility mode is needed, or some W^X/DEP policy needs an exception adding?

Also, you're using the right 32/64bit files & OS, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Either some OS compatibility mode is needed, or some W^X/DEP policy needs an exception adding?

Also, you're using the right 32/64bit files & OS, right?
    It should be the 64 bit version. not sure how I can verify that tbh. But 32 bit shouldn't even be an option for this as far as I've understood. The whole point is unocking more ram than 2GB that old 32 bit systems were limited to.
    I'll try setting os compatability...

myea that deal with 32 bit windows, so not really what this is about.

This patch is for allowing an older game to use more ram on a 64 bit system.
    Last edited by Ashaz; February 27 2018 at 09:17:11 AM.

To me that implies it's a 32bit game, so would still need the exe bit(s) altered to be set enabled, and flags used at launch so that compatibility layer knows what's being attempted & to emulate a 32bit OS in 3GB/PAE mode, rather than simpler/regular 32bit mode.

edit: sigh, googling shows many people unaware that while in theory a 32bit OS/process could address 4GB max, Windows actually only let them have 2 GB per process while it supported 4GB of hardware, and the 3GB flag still didn't get all 4GB as user-space accessible (because the OS needs some address blocks for things like VRAM window, and changing to that 3:1 split isn't without cost).

where Nexus is wrong:
    Bare minimum requirement to even consider using this patch is 4gb plus ram.
    You would benefit before you have/exceed 4GB RAM, but equally you can't get a 32bit program to use more than 4GB even with PAE & much more physically. PAE only let a 32bit OS handle more (up to 128GB it seems).

Some people seem more aware of the details in this case, but I still couldn't easily find a solution, or exactly what benefit the 4GB patch would actually bring.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; February 27 2018 at 09:52:54 AM.

To me that implies it's a 32bit game, so would still need the exe bits altered to be set, and flags used at launch so that compatibility layer knows what's being attempted & to emulate a 32bit OS in 3GB/PAE mode, rather than simpler/regular 32bit mode.
    That is what the patch he is trying to apply is supposed to do again.

But then why go through the effort to play that fucking piece of trash I don't know.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I get that there seems to be a 'patcher' that sets LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE (make sure to use it on the actual game exe and not just the launcher), but I didn't quickly find details as to how newer Windows is emulating older Windows w.r.t. 32bit + LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE compatibility. Maybe it works fine, maybe you have to pass in some 3GB/PAE flag too (because there was no real boot up of the older OS to have it set then via boot.ini), maybe you need to disable other things like DEP, idk.
    Consider using a VM?