hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 121920212223242532 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Laws and Gun Rights Discussion

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Excellent article on Marion Hammer, the NRA's top lobbyist in Florida. She authored the first concealed-carry and stand-your-ground laws.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...o-gun-policies
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

My humble opinion:

All weapons purchases to require complete background check.

Civilian right to bear arms and concealed carry outside of hunting/training/competition should be banned.

A maximum of [1 hunting rifle | 1 hunting shotgun | 1 handgun] per legal weapons-owner per household stored at home.
    Only a registered, limited amount of ammunition per weapon allowed for home-storage.

Any additional weapons to be stored at local gun-club which in turn is legally responsible for the safety of said weapons.

For hunting trip or sports-shooting competition requiring more than one weapon, written permit to be required and only allowed for short periods of time (duration of event).
    Last edited by Snottus; March 14 2018 at 03:33:50 AM. Reason: Forgot to add line about carrying arms.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snottus View Post
    My humble opinion:

A maximum of [1 hunting rifle | 1 hunting shotgun | 1 handgun] per legal weapons-owner per household stored at home.
    Only a registered, limited amount of ammunition per weapon allowed for home-storage.

Any additional weapons to be stored at local gun-club which in turn is legally responsible for the safety of said weapons.

For hunting trip or sports-shooting competition requiring more than one weapon, written permit to be required and only allowed for short periods of time (duration of event).
    Except for the background check provision, does any of this prevent a school shooting? Would any of it survive a court challenge?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Sports are a reason why they are needed. Or do you mean why does anyone need them outside of sports and hunting?

I am le confused.

Also I don't think people should have guns outside of these reasons.

Additionally, owning and driving tanks (with deactivated weapons) is legal just about anywhere IIRC. Definitely in the UK and Germany.
    I don't think hunting is a legit reason tbh.
    Best of luck making that argument in the United States.

I do always find it funny how quick others are to fuck over the interests and hobbies of others....as long as it doesn't effect them.

P.S. it's not Hunters and target shooters murdering 15,000 people a year here mate. Fucking them won't do a damn thing about gun violence.
    Hey I get the appeal, I just don't personally think it's a legit reason. At least hunting weapons don't shoot 30 rounds/minute.

Also some hobbies I'm fine with being fucked over yeh, the feelings of a tiny minority who enjoy shooting things don't overrule the need for everyone else to not die because some bellend gets their hands on a device invented to kill at range with minimal effort.
    Again, Hunters and Target Shooters are not the people who are shooting up the place ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snottus View Post
    My humble opinion:

Except for the background check provision, does any of this prevent a school shooting? Would any of it survive a court challenge?
    I consider medication and mental health a far greater factor in school-shootings than weapons.
    In that regard perhaps regular psych-evals should be part of weapon-ownership - although that would be one heck of a challenge to solve.

lol

Sports are a reason why they are needed. Or do you mean why does anyone need them outside of sports and hunting?

I am le confused.

Additionally, owning and driving tanks (with deactivated weapons) is legal just about anywhere IIRC. Definitely in the UK and Germany.

I do always find it funny how quick others are to fuck over the interests and hobbies of others....as long as it doesn't effect them.

P.S. it's not Hunters and target shooters murdering 15,000 people a year here mate. Fucking them won't do a damn thing about gun violence.
    Hey I get the appeal, I just don't personally think it's a legit reason. At least hunting weapons don't shoot 30 rounds/minute.

Also some hobbies I'm fine with being fucked over yeh, the feelings of a tiny minority who enjoy shooting things don't overrule the need for everyone else to not die because some bellend gets their hands on a device invented to kill at range with minimal effort.
    Small point, but hunting here, and indeed in most other places in the world, is a very different situation for a bunch of inbred chinless wonders riding out in jodphurs and red coats with hounds.
    meh

As for ARs and hunting: wild boars are an increasing problem in several countries and ARs are fast becoming more popular for this type of hunting due to magazine size.

Again, Hunters and Target Shooters are not the people who are shooting up the place ffs.
    Who are the people shooting up the place? There's a whole host of demographics who are involved in gun crime.

Unrelated question: Have you seen bowling for columbine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    https://patch.com/illinois/romeovill..._medium=social

"Lads, we're getting a bit of a bad reputation lately with all these school shootings, and now a bunch of kids are demonstrating against gun violence! What should we do"

"Hold an armed counter protest against children"

"Perfect"

The absolute state of America

I am le confused.

Hunting in Europe is mostly done to control population sizes of wild boars. Don't shoot them and you can kiss your farms good bye as they lack any natural predators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

I am le confused.

Shooty shooty sports are now a basic necessity and absolutely needed? Interesting.
    Who are you that you want to tell others how to compete or what sports to do?
    nevar forget

Bring back the Colosseum!
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

I am le confused.

Shooty shooty sports are now a basic necessity and absolutely needed? Interesting.
    Yup, just like alcohol and weed..

I am not even sure why I am discussing this.
    The US lacks decent gun laws which is the problem. Here we have quite strict gun laws and gun crimes are not done with legal guns. We ought to find a solution for the US, not everywhere.

To which I'd add the Americans should have Canadian or German (or similar) gun laws. Either would permit people to have guns but requires more reason than 'just because'.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Bring back the Colosseum!
    I think people are a bit weird , personally hunting/sports is fair game in my opinion.

The issue at least in my backwards country never arises because :

-You need to get a licence for each of the guns

-Hunters only manage to get hunting weapons , no g3 /ak47 same for sports.

-If you are going to a hunting trip you have to carry the gun dismantled, you can only have x amount and x type of ammo depending on the a hunt your doing.

-Iff you are pulled over on a car stop transporting a gun in the influence of alcohol you loose your gun and your licence.

-Military weapons are off limits to everybody , unless tour in the military...

Just some examples , we still get some gun related crime but it is less than the average and we are considered a very safe place.

Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Who are the people shooting up the place? There's a whole host of demographics who are involved in gun crime.
    People of low socio-economic position engaged in criminal and/or gang activity are the prime demographic of gun crime, primarily committed via semi-auto handgun.

People suffering from mental health problems including depression are the main demographic of gun suicides and mass shootings. Suicides, mostly handguns, mass shootings, mostly AR type semi-autos.

If anything, hunters and target shooters would make up the prime demographic only of gun accident victims.

I'm all for limitations, restrictions and controls. I'm not for an outright ban or painting hunters and target shooters as some mass threat to society.

I don't generally watch Michael Moore's films, sorry, no.

So you'll have to just explicitly tell me the point you're making.

What about tanks for hunting? Legit, or too much?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    What about tanks for hunting? Legit, or too much?
    suppose it skips the processing bit, instant minced venison

I don't generally watch Michael Moore's films, sorry, no.

So you'll have to just explicitly tell me the point you're making.
    I just like the way he frames various shootings from the material perspective of the communities they happen in, the victims and even the perpetrators. The interview with Marilyn Manson is good too:

Yeah, but Manson injured himself climbing on a big gun stage prop, so what does he know?

Spoiler:
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang