hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 222930313233343542 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Laws and Gun Rights Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I hear the only time Vice was good when they covered ukraine in 2014 c/c
    That was all Simon, last and only time I seen some real jurno work in this decade. What a breath of fresh air it was among agenda pushing and clickbaits.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    That was all Simon, last and only time I seen some real jurno work in this decade. What a breath of fresh air it was among agenda pushing and clickbaits.
    +1 Simon was the only decent thing to ever come out of Vice.

What about Graham then? Until 2015 that is.
    Last edited by RazoR; April 6 2018 at 01:56:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Yeah my idea about vice was completely warped because i only watched his reports at first. Then i started visiting the vice site
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Given recent discussions of YouTube and other online platforms, I find it interesting that (reportedly) her videos and social media presence were all pulled offline shortly after the shooting.

That too is a form of censorship.
    It's not fucking censorship when they own the content and the site it's hosted on

Holy shit, stop making the word lose all meaning by misusing it
    Dude, don't mistkae ToS/EULA for actual laws (although corporations very much like you to think that way). Just because something is privately owned, doesn't mean the owner has free reign just about anything.

E.g. take the case of a Maryland governor, who used to delete comments he didn't like and subsequentely block accounts from his FB site. Turns out, he can't just do that, although it's his FB profile.
    That's irrelevant

Youtube own the platform, they have the right to choose what content they want on their platform.
    Nope, they don't. Because they did just that and then DMCA came and YouTube was forced by law to implement means to comply with it.

Again: laws trump EULAs, no matter what. I admit that in Europ more so than in the U.S., but still...
    How is that relevant to youtube delisting videos?

You don't have a right to use their service
    Are you sure about that, given the size of Google/YouTube in comparison to its competitors? Because I'm not. And if that's currently the case and someone challenges it on the basis of monopoly laws/market domination, if it will stand.

Sure, private business has the right to choose who to serve. And if this was, say, a private local TV broadcaster, I'd fully agree with you. But services of the size of YouTube, dominating their market the YT currently dominates the user-generated video streaming market, things are different.

I mean, can Comcast deny someone a phone/DSL contract, if its the only provider available at that location? And MS was forced to provide the browser choice in Windows, instead of keeping IE the default browser. No one was forced to use MS Windows, OS/S, Linux etc. were available. And yet because of its market domination MS, as a private company, was forced to change on how they do business. And out of experience of the industry I'm working in: GDS were forced to provide neutral availability for routes, instead of promoting the owing/home carriers' flights to the top of the list.
    Couple of things here. Comcast could certainly deny a contract to someone, they do it all the time when people don't pay for service, or violate their terms of service.

Microsoft was not hit with the antitrust case because of the ubiquity of its OS. Microsoft was hit because they used their position as an OS supplier to then dominate the web browser market by bundling IE with windows. Likewise Google was hit not because of its domination of the search engine segment, but because it used that power to push its own shopping service over others.

Many people have a misunderstanding what monopoly/antitrust laws are and actually cover. Having a dominate position, even 100% control of a market is absolutely fine. It is when you use this position in that market to influence other markets that the law is triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Yeah my idea about vice was completely warped because i only watched his reports at first. Then i started visiting the vice site
    Likewise, he must have been their star hire or something. The rest is puerile trash tbh

Likewise, he must have been their star hire or something. The rest is puerile trash tbh
    They have some good documentary stuff too but I think all the good ones are by independent teams rather than Vice staff

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Yeah I think Vice act as a publisher rather than producer for a lot of their documentaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

They have a show on the guitar nerd side called guitar moves that is really good too.

Carry on.
    meh

Also drug related stuff like that incredibly tweaked psychedelics guy who interviewed Shulgin

Or that entire thing about the ex stripper chick and her crazy chemist boyfriend who built an entire underground lsd lab / compound In a missile silo.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...igh-on-krystle

Then snitched and turned into a semi YouTube celebrity.

And then you find out what a truly evil bitch she is :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comme..._and_a_snitch/

Brandon Green states (Report, p. 4) that after kidnapping by Skinner and*Krystal Cole (neurosoup), he was:*1.injected with unknown chemicals and drugs in his penis, testicles, back, arms and legs. 2.hit in the groin repeatedly. 3.kicked in the groin until he blacked out. 4.forced to drink an unknown substance and was also forced to swallow some form of "parasitic eggs." 5.not given any food and very little fluids during his captivity. 6.bound with duct tape by the hands and feet and beaten repeatedly. 7.duct-taped across the mouth to prevent his calls for help. 8.tied around the testicles and/or penis with a telephone cord and suspended from a bed. 9.pulled with the telephone cord around his penis until cartilage "popped." 10.subjected to a deep cut into his penis with a knife or razor blade. 11.subjected to bleach being poured over his groin area. 12."brutally shaved" by Krystle Cole of his scalp, eyebrows, genitalia and his entire body. 13.subjected to severe trauma to the rectum with an unknown instrument.
    Last edited by Stoffl; April 6 2018 at 04:56:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    They have some good documentary stuff too but I think all the good ones are by independent teams rather than Vice staff
    Ah yeh that may be it I guess. The North Korea workers one was also great.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Also drug related stuff like that incredibly tweaked psychedelics guy who interviewed Shulgin

Or that entire thing about the ex stripper chick and her crazy chemist boyfriend who built an entire underground lsd lab / compound In a missile silo.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...igh-on-krystle

Then snitched and turned into a semi YouTube celebrity.

And then you find out what a truly evil bitch she is :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comme..._and_a_snitch/

Brandon Green states (Report, p. 4) that after kidnapping by Skinner and*Krystal Cole (neurosoup), he was:*1.injected with unknown chemicals and drugs in his penis, testicles, back, arms and legs. 2.hit in the groin repeatedly. 3.kicked in the groin until he blacked out. 4.forced to drink an unknown substance and was also forced to swallow some form of "parasitic eggs." 5.not given any food and very little fluids during his captivity. 6.bound with duct tape by the hands and feet and beaten repeatedly. 7.duct-taped across the mouth to prevent his calls for help. 8.tied around the testicles and/or penis with a telephone cord and suspended from a bed. 9.pulled with the telephone cord around his penis until cartilage "popped." 10.subjected to a deep cut into his penis with a knife or razor blade. 11.subjected to bleach being poured over his groin area. 12."brutally shaved" by Krystle Cole of his scalp, eyebrows, genitalia and his entire body. 13.subjected to severe trauma to the rectum with an unknown instrument.
    Rip Fritzl bunker, hail the Krystal bunker

Stay classy Sinclair News.

Oops, no job for you.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sinclair-...095117366.html
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

School shooting: Teachers in Pennsylvania get 16in bats after Florida

A Pennsylvanian school district has given its teachers baseball bats in the fight against school shooters.

All 500 teachers of Millcreek School District near Erie got a 16in (41cm) bat in the wake of the Parkland, Florida high school attack in February.

Though the bats are largely symbolic, Superintendent William Hall said, they are there as a "last resort".

"Unfortunately, we're in a day and age where one might need to use them to protect ourselves and our kids."

The superintendent said the aim was to have a "consistent tool" for every teacher in every classroom.

The bucket of rocks was more effective probably.

Jeez, in a country as comfortable with guns as the US, they come up with these hilariously bad ideas and not a single person points out that it's retarded?

If they'd armor the classroom doors, now that'd be at least somewhat effective. But a close combat weapon?

Someone should show them the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark so they see what happens when you bring a sword to a gun fight.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post

A Pennsylvanian school district has given its teachers baseball bats in the fight against school shooters.

All 500 teachers of Millcreek School District near Erie got a 16in (41cm) bat in the wake of the Parkland, Florida high school attack in February.

Though the bats are largely symbolic, Superintendent William Hall said, they are there as a "last resort".

"Unfortunately, we're in a day and age where one might need to use them to protect ourselves and our kids."

The superintendent said the aim was to have a "consistent tool" for every teacher in every classroom.
    Meanwhile: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1HI2FL
    Parkland, Florida, school district rejects funds to arm teachers

The Florida school district that includes the high school where a gunman massacred 17 people has rejected its share of new state funding to be used for arming teachers, county officials said on Wednesday.

The Feb. 14 attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland ramped up a long-running U.S. debate on gun rights and sparked a youth movement led by survivors of the attack, many of whom have been critical of the idea of arming teachers.

The Broward County School Board, which oversees Stoneman Douglas and other schools, said in a statement it had voted unanimously against accepting money from a $67 million statewide program, signed into law last month by Governor Rick Scott as part of a package of gun-control and school safety measures.

Board members want Scott, a Republican who earlier this week launched a run for the U.S. Senate, to allow them to allocate the money in other ways, such as providing additional funding for school resource officers (SROs) - trained law enforcement officers that are often already armed.

“For them to dictate to us that this money can only be spent to arm our employees is a travesty,” school board member Robin Bartleman said in a phone interview on Wednesday.

“What I want to see happen is the legislature free up that money to districts so we can use it for mental health programs or to hire more SROs.”

In addition to creating the fund to allow school staff to be trained and deputized to carry guns on the job, Scott signed measures that raised the state’s minimum age to buy any firearm to 21 and imposed a three-day waiting period on gun purchases.

The $67 million Aaron Feis Guardian Program, named after a coach who was among those killed in the Parkland massacre, allows local sheriffs and school districts to opt out if they wish. Most classroom teachers are excluded from volunteering for the program, a compromise aimed at earning the support of the governor and many lawmakers who had initially opposed the idea.

A 19-year-old man who had been kicked out of Stoneman Douglas used a legally purchased AR-15 assault-style rifle in the February attack.

An armed sheriff’s deputy had been present at the school campus in suburban Fort Lauderdale when the third-deadliest school shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history began, but failed to enter the building where the shooting was occurring.
    Next time someone suggests arming teachers, point them to this article. If they continue to insist teachers be armed, ask them why they're in favor of big government policies that take autonomy and decision-making away from local communities.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

The Florida school district that includes the high school where a gunman massacred 17 people has rejected its share of new state funding to be used for arming teachers, county officials said on Wednesday.

The Feb. 14 attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland ramped up a long-running U.S. debate on gun rights and sparked a youth movement led by survivors of the attack, many of whom have been critical of the idea of arming teachers.

The Broward County School Board, which oversees Stoneman Douglas and other schools, said in a statement it had voted unanimously against accepting money from a $67 million statewide program, signed into law last month by Governor Rick Scott as part of a package of gun-control and school safety measures.

Board members want Scott, a Republican who earlier this week launched a run for the U.S. Senate, to allow them to allocate the money in other ways, such as providing additional funding for school resource officers (SROs) - trained law enforcement officers that are often already armed.

“For them to dictate to us that this money can only be spent to arm our employees is a travesty,” school board member Robin Bartleman said in a phone interview on Wednesday.

“What I want to see happen is the legislature free up that money to districts so we can use it for mental health programs or to hire more SROs.”

In addition to creating the fund to allow school staff to be trained and deputized to carry guns on the job, Scott signed measures that raised the state’s minimum age to buy any firearm to 21 and imposed a three-day waiting period on gun purchases.

The $67 million Aaron Feis Guardian Program, named after a coach who was among those killed in the Parkland massacre, allows local sheriffs and school districts to opt out if they wish. Most classroom teachers are excluded from volunteering for the program, a compromise aimed at earning the support of the governor and many lawmakers who had initially opposed the idea.

A 19-year-old man who had been kicked out of Stoneman Douglas used a legally purchased AR-15 assault-style rifle in the February attack.

An armed sheriff’s deputy had been present at the school campus in suburban Fort Lauderdale when the third-deadliest school shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history began, but failed to enter the building where the shooting was occurring.
    Next time someone suggests arming teachers, point them to this article. If they continue to insist teachers be armed, ask them why they're in favor of big government policies that take autonomy and decision-making away from local communities.
    Also I would like to point out that the community actually picked the two most effective things available: more mental healthcare and SROs (I am torn on SROs tbh, but it's not a bad idea).
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    If they'd armor the classroom doors, now that'd be at least somewhat effective.
    Aye, I wonder why more secure classroom doors are not part of any broad-solution ideas.

I would presume two concerns exist: Fire and escaping fire. And misuse of these secure doors by either shooters themselves (to barracade in) or other mal intent individuals (teachers/staff doing bad things of some sort).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Also I would like to point out that the community actually picked the two most effective things available: more mental healthcare and SROs (I am torn on SROs tbh, but it's not a bad idea).
    Except if you've spent any time dealing with local jurisdictional school budgets, you'd know that what they really want is flexibility to spend the extra funding on additional pay/benefits for administrators under the guise of "mental health programs" and "SRO's".

You asked me if I ever dealt with school budgets?

What?

EDIT: Oh, sorry, you were making a comment about your perception of US schools and how they handle budgets.

Carry on.
    nevar forget