hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 70 of 73 FirstFirst ... 206067686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1443

Thread: Gun Laws and Gun Rights Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Au Contraire, the only thing I've actually seen work. You lot always talk about forcing companies to do stuff. Can you point to me the history where this has like, literally ever happened. You can't even win against Trump or vote out the Tories.
    yeah just look across the Atlantic when you're allowed to set prices for drugs or set standards for food that the US continually fails to meet

:herp:
    So win an election and get the laws changed. In the meantime, if a large number of people stopped buying from Walmart, they'd fucking break bones adjusting their behavior to win the revenue flow back.

Just like they appear to be doing now with ammunition sales and open carry.
    Well people don't actually need guns so that's an absurd example to bring up

They do need a whole slew of things that are packaged or wrapped in plastic, and usually created in a harmful manner. Placing the burden for change on them while they're scraping by is just shitty and they won't go along with it

Au Contraire, the only thing I've actually seen work. You lot always talk about forcing companies to do stuff. Can you point to me the history where this has like, literally ever happened. You can't even win against Trump or vote out the Tories.
    yeah just look across the Atlantic when you're allowed to set prices for drugs or set standards for food that the US continually fails to meet

So win an election and get the laws changed. In the meantime, if a large number of people stopped buying from Walmart, they'd fucking break bones adjusting their behavior to win the revenue flow back.

They do need a whole slew of things that are packaged or wrapped in plastic, and usually created in a harmful manner. Placing the burden for change on them while they're scraping by is just shitty and they won't go along with it
    If you make the penalties high enough, sure they will. Also, it's literally already happening.
    meh

If you make the penalties high enough, sure they will. Also, it's literally already happening.
    And then they'll refuse to show up again in another election. And like every liberal you'll be back to whining about the ignorant proles who can't appreciate a good fucking for The Greater Good

And then they'll refuse to show up again in another election. And like every liberal you'll be back to whining about the ignorant proles who can't appreciate a good fucking for The Greater Good
    Well, I won't be. And if some of them die out, we're moving toward the same solution, anyway...

People get the government they deserve.
    meh

Extra sharp edge today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Meanwhile, the SF legislature declares the NRA a domestic terrorist organization...

https://sfgov.legistar.com/View.ashx...D-287F02BECCCA

Resolution declaring that the National Rifle Association is a domestic terrorist
    organization and urging other cities, states, and the federal government to do the
    same.
    I'm curious: has this any practical consequences or this this merely a symbolic act (which still is an interseting move)?
    Everyone laughed at them when they banned plastic straws as well.
    And that does mean ...?!?
    It means when San Francisco banned plastic straws years ago, everyone laughed and pointed at "the looney lefties in commiefornia taking peoples rights away" and now plastic straws are banned (or in the process of being banned) everywhere. SF often leads the country legislatively (gay marriage is another thing done here first) and 5 years later, they entire country is doing the same laws.

It would not surprise me to see more official condemnation for the NRA following this, growing until it becomes the norm.
    Roger that, now I understand. This (=banning plastic straw) is quite a detailed U.S. specific, which didn't make the news everywhere else, so while U.S. citizens might get meaning, it left me quite confused.

Aren't you in California right now? And ins't that the state which continuously enactes new legislation of that kind, e.g. enforcing cars with automotive catalytic converters? What happened to those manufacturers whose cars had none? Was it customers who had sue those? Or was it state regulation which prevent them from exporting/selling those cars to/in CA?

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Anything done to effectively reduce gang violence isn't going to be related to firearm legislation.
    The largest source of homicide in the country from guns won't be fixed by legislation on guns?

How many of the guns used in gang violence are legally owned and operated? How many gangs are keen to make sure they operate on the right side of legislation?

I know you're a retarded right winger, but take a second to consider the multitude of factors at play which contribute to violent environments. Risk factors cluster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

If it's harder to obtain them, then the amount of them available to gangs will go down in the long term. As the police will slowly confiscate, or they'll be lost, or they'll break and its harder to replace them.

It won't solve it overnight, but it'll help a massive amount over a couple of decades.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The guns don't create gangs.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Aren't you in California right now? And ins't that the state which continuously enactes new legislation of that kind, e.g. enforcing cars with automotive catalytic converters? What happened to those manufacturers whose cars had none? Was it customers who had sue those? Or was it state regulation which prevent them from exporting/selling those cars to/in CA?
    They cannot sell, and heavy fines will be levied if they get caught selling. We are populous enough (and thus a big enough market) that, as I said, the laws we make here have tended to become laws in all the other western states first, just due to the companies not making cars for like, specifically Arizona, as its a tiny market in comparison.

It’s worth pointing out, to make the original point, that someone who has a non compliant car will be forced to take it off the road and modify it so it complies, so people are punished directly for this as well.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; September 6 2019 at 02:55:49 PM.
    meh

How many of the guns used in gang violence are legally owned and operated? How many gangs are keen to make sure they operate on the right side of legislation?

I know you're a retarded right winger, but take a second to consider the multitude of factors at play which contribute to violent environments. Risk factors cluster.

Gun theft from “law abiding owners” provide almost all (~80%) of the guns used in illegal crime.
    meh

So one weak link is law abiding owners leaving their guns unsecured

So one weak link is law abiding owners leaving their guns unsecured
    Always has been, and in most countries with decent gun laws, is one of the key factors to focus on. Requiring safes, trigger locks, etc.

The only crime on my street while I’ve lived here was a burglary that resulted in a gun being stolen.
    meh

Gangs with more limited access to guns have less opportunity to shoot people, yes?

Or is this a variation on erik's nihilism, "no point regulating companies, just get tied up in court. The real path to change is convincing millions of customers to boycott and force a change."
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Gangs with more limited access to guns have less opportunity to shoot people, yes?

Or is this a variation on erik's nihilism, "no point regulating companies, just get tied up in court. The real path to change is convincing millions of customers to boycott and force a change."
    Actually, i was advocating both approaches together, not one at the expense of the other.

Just like we did with cigarettes.
    meh

Do you think it's easier to address issues with gangs with our without guns?

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

I doubt there are any gangs which don't have enough guns to last them a while even if you make efforts to restrict their supply. There are things which can be done on much shorter time scales.
    Last edited by Keckers; September 6 2019 at 06:03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

I doubt there are any gangs which don't have enough guns to last them a while even if you make efforts to restrict their supply. There are things which can be done on much shorter time scales.
    Why not both?