hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BALANCE CHANGES COMING IN THE MARCH RELEASE!

SOVEREIGNTY WARFARE & JUMP FATIGUE CHANGES COMING IN THE MARCH RELEASE

Hello stalwart capsuleers and welcome to another EVE Online dev blog!

Today we are happy to be able to begin public discussion of a few significant changes that we are working on for the upcoming March release.

These changes touch two interconnected areas of the game that are heavily discussed by many veteran players: jump travel and sovereignty. We are hoping that these shakeups can help provide players with new gameplay options to explore and master in their battles across lowsec and nullsec space.

This blog will serve as a quick introduction to the proposed changes for March, and we have forum threads set up for each major change where you can find more details and join the discussion.

JUMP FATIGUE CHANGES

Discussion thread

Jump fatigue has been one of the most discussed mechanics in EVE since it was introduced at the end of 2014. It sits in a difficult spot in EVE's metagame, as it is one of the least satisfying mechanics possible but is also universally recognized as necessary in some form.

We spent countless hours discussing this mechanic with EVE players in person at events, on podcasts and streams, through the CSM, and on the forums over the past few years. In these discussions it's clear that although there are many opinions on the direction we should take this feature, everyone agrees that it needs iteration.

For the upcoming March release, we are aiming to make a small but extremely significant change to Jump Fatigue that will hopefully reduce the pain of the feature while avoiding a return to the thoroughly dysfunctional capital meta that existed before the Phoebe release in 2014.

The current proposed change for March is a 95% reduction in the cap on fatigue accumulation. We would reduce the maximum possible jump fatigue (blue timer) from the current 4 days to 5 hours and the maximum possible jump activation cooldown (orange timer) from 9.6 hours to 30 minutes.

In practice, this change would change the optimal jump pattern for long distance travel to jumping as soon as your orange timer expires. Capital ships will continue to have the ability to use stargates as well in addition to their jump capabilities.

We are very interested in hearing opinions from the community on this proposed change, and we encourage everyone to check out the forum thread for discussion and any changes to the plan.

SOVEREIGNTY CAPTURE AND ENTOSIS LINK CHANGES

Discussion thread

This upcoming March release will also include a set of tweaks to the Entosis Link module and to sov capture events. The primary goals of these changes are to shake up the sov combat metagame and give players new gameplay options to optimize and master.

We presented an earlier form of these proposed changes to the CSM at the recent winter summit and incorporated their feedback into the design below.

The biggest of these changes revolve around the Entosis Link module itself. We are currently planning on the following changes to the Entosis Link:

Allow remote assistance to subcapital ships with Entosis Links running (including remote reps)
    Significantly reduced max ranges: 20km for T1 and 50km for T2
    Significantly reduced fitting requirements for the T2 module: 20 power grid and 5 CPU
    +100% sensor strength to any ship with an active cycling Entosis Link
    Combined these changes remove the largest downside of activating an Entosis Link (the remote assistance block) while also forcing the linking ships into a much closer area around their target.

Being able to remote rep the linking ship also makes it easier to run multiple redundant links which reduces the power of alpha doctrines in sov capture events.

We are also looking at some tweaks to the node spawning in sov capture events:

Increase the score gained per node capture from 5% to 7%
    Reduce the number of starting nodes from 5 to 4
    Increase the random node spawn chance by ~14%
    These changes reduce the number of node captures required to complete an uncontested event as well as concentrating the starting locations for fights somewhat.

We are sure that a great many of you will have feedback to share on these proposed changes, and we're looking forward to discussion in the various feedback threads for each of these changes.

Thanks for taking the time to read this dev blog today and thanks in advance for your feedback in the forum threads.

These changes will be available for testing on the Singularity test server very soon and we encourage everyone to try them out there and give as much feedback as possible!

Fly safe!
    Lets hope it doesn't turn into capital ships online again [I predict it will turn into capital ships online again].

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Protect your intel on who your FC's are.
    And how exactly do you expect people to do that when any nullsec fleet with more than a couple dozen people probably has a spy on comms?
    Have more than one FC and more than one comms per fleet? Or y'know use a cloaky ship.
    Last edited by Meester; February 21 2018 at 07:25:20 PM.

Since tethering hasn't it now turned into super capital ships online?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Have more than one FC and more than one comms per fleet? Or y'know use a cloaky ship.
    So you want people to FC in a ship that

can't fleet warp with its own fleet because it will be decloaked
    has to warp in at range, running the risk of being decloaked by something else and also being inside the minimum warp range for the friendly fleet to warp to and save it - that is if you don't have pings for every possible location you might actually fight somebody
    will likely land on grid well after its own fleet because of the reasons above
    can't be used as an anchor
    can't broadcast target based on damage taken or distance from anchor
    can easily be decloaked/killed by a spy "accidentally" warping to the FC ship
    can still be decloaked and headshot on gates because it still has to jump through them to get anywhere

I'm no expert on the subject but that seems so impractical that the risk of headshotting might be easier to deal with.
    Last edited by Boltorano; February 21 2018 at 09:15:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Not an FC here, but wasn't the Target Spectrum Breaker meant to fix problems like these?
    But mah EHP!

But also 'Note: Will affect all targeting computers, including those of friendly vessels, of vessels immune to electronic warfare, and of the host ship itself. Can be fitted to Battleship, Black Ops and Marauder class ships.'
    Ahh, right, BS-sized module. I guess in that case, would making it cruiser-sized not fix the problem?
    God complex FC's protested such a module so it was released nerfed into the ground from the start. The idea of players having to make their own decisions beyond hitting F1 scared the shit out of major fleet commanders and coalition leaders. They want to keep the most effective method of combat being done by their ever careful guiding hand. You will never be able to convince CCP to address the broken mechanic that is the current target lock system as long as these players are whispering into CCP's ears. With this ship, now there will be even fewer FC's as each time zone only needs one or two for each alliance.

Orbit on FC and hit F1, gentlemen. That is the amazing combat gameplay that is supposed to bring in new players.

No special God Rule Immunity Ships for FC's.

If your FC gets killed, and your fleet crumbles, whelp, guess you lost, HTFU, train up some subordinates, cold space, stop whining.

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    No special God Rule Immunity Ships for FC's.

If your FC gets killed, and your fleet crumbles, whelp, guess you lost, HTFU, train up some subordinates, cold space, stop whining.
    Or, invest in plexing fc's for redundancy. Seeing a lot of what once upon a time was a matter of hush-hush now as quite normal in a lot of places. Kinda funny.
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    I don't think head-shotting is as much of a problem these days, at least not in the fights I have seen lately. This was more a thing 1-2 years ago, when the idea of the FC ship was brought up in the first place.

I have always preferred the tactic of pinning down the FC so he can watch the rest of his fleet die around him.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    I don't think head-shotting is as much of a problem these days, at least not in the fights I have seen lately. This was more a thing 1-2 years ago, when the idea of the FC ship was brought up in the first place.

I have always preferred the tactic of pinning down the FC so he can watch the rest of his fleet die around him.
    This
    My favourite fights where you give him one or two as his fleet is dying around him.

#Realfleetsdontneedtoheadshot.

sheiiiiit

"You may fire when ready."

Too late.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Too late.
    Here's a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post

sheiiiiit
    what's that ?
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post

sheiiiiit
    what's that ?
    Something that will be implemented half-assedly and will be broken a few updates later and never returned to.

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    Somehow reminds me of a Star Trek Discovery episode
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

BALANCE CHANGES COMING IN THE MARCH RELEASE!

Just realised they took out of the game the Tengu ability to warp @5AU via its subsystem. Luckily rigs are now removable, so replaced tank rigs with hyperspatial rigs and it's back around the same figure. But before that it could've been even faster. No, not interested in ascendancy implants tyvm ^^

Warp speed changes have been introduced a long while ago, but I've never felt it this badly than when I tried to do the SoE epic arc for some standings boosts. It's literally savage travel time even with insta warping.

Sincerely it's p awful. Either I'm too old for this, or losing patience, but when I looked at the clock and saw three hours passed and I only did like half the arc made me go full wtf mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Either I'm too old for this, or losing patience
    I think they go hand in hand. This is why the elderly are so cranky, they want to get somewhere quickly but their brittle bones means they have to go at a snails pace.

That said, frigates are super-quick yo.

Just realised they took out of the game the Tengu ability to warp @5AU via its subsystem. Luckily rigs are now removable, so replaced tank rigs with hyperspatial rigs and it's back around the same figure. But before that it could've been even faster. No, not interested in ascendancy implants tyvm ^^

Warp speed changes have been introduced a long while ago, but I've never felt it this badly than when I tried to do the SoE epic arc for some standings boosts. It's literally savage travel time even with insta warping.

Sincerely it's p awful. Either I'm too old for this, or losing patience, but when I looked at the clock and saw three hours passed and I only did like half the arc made me go full wtf mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's not really about the warp speed changes - that arc was always a long slog with approximately 8 bajillion gate jumps. You're probably just old and have lost your tolerance/time for unnecessarily drawn-out nonsense.

CCP should've unfucked the faction standings system years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tafkat View Post
    CCP should've...
    Sounds like the start of a word game which would probably last longer than Eve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Luckily rigs are now removable, so replaced tank rigs with hyperspatial rigs and it's back around the same figure.
    Wait what, you can remove rigs without destroying them?

Doesn't that undo the entire point of rigs if they now act as any other fitted module? Do they drop as loot as well?
    Need more speakers