hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torfi Frans Jumps Ship

Isn't/wasn't CCP's CFO also a former EA guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    CCP Seagull is leaving Iceland and CCP for her family in Sweden. Wonder if she will end up at Mojang too?

http://massivelyop.com/2018/04/25/ev...ing-ccp-games/
    Oh shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo View Post

There's nobody properly qualified, not in the required professional and meta sense. So it doesn't matter who gets it - pun intended.
    CCP Hellbunnie (the ex-EA guy) was apparently running things while Seagull was on maternity leave. So I'd think he's the most likely candidate to take the position permanently.
    Rip EvE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

CCP Seagull is leaving Iceland and CCP for her family in Sweden. Wonder if she will end up at Mojang too?

http://massivelyop.com/2018/04/25/ev...ing-ccp-games/
    Oh shit.

There's nobody properly qualified, not in the required professional and meta sense. So it doesn't matter who gets it - pun intended.
    CCP Hellbunnie (the ex-EA guy) was apparently running things while Seagull was on maternity leave. So I'd think he's the most likely candidate to take the position permanently.
    Fucking rip.

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Isn't/wasn't CCP's CFO also a former EA guy?
    There's a fair few very interesting semi-externals.

It's the kind of thing that happens when you run finance and bank on venture partners. Eventually you start taking in some of it. In a way it's a little funny, of all the original folks only Hilmar has only ever realised how that affects things, and what angles of use it brings. Even how it works it way through circles and symptoms of organisation and personal network.

Keep in mind that from a strict venture perspective Hilmar has done a decent job. Not brilliant. Not good. But decent enough. EVE's a reasonable cash cow, and apart from two glitches (one more serious that the other) that's ok. So sure it's a little messy that nothing else has ever really worked. But it mostly paid off. Network, targeted exposure, spring cleaning, etc.

A lot of that rests on what was put inside CCP. Not without long term effects, but without that a lot would've burned. Now it's only cost people, an ipo round and a bit of ego here and there.

That said, it's almost funny to always see the "omg eve's dying" stuff. It isn't, it's just never going to live. So now it's about packaging it up, streamlining matters and revamping it towards set model requirements.

You'd have to be an utter idiot to not have seen the model develop based on who filled what position based on where they came from. And yet at CCP it's taken a few all this time to only recently figure it out.

It's the Hilmar show once again, short lines, very little rope. But it all follows someone else's directives.

Look, the EVE you knew is not this EVE. What you knew could have developed along the lines of what back then was called the emergent dynamic nature of it. CCP decided to burn that. It is not uncommon for any type of product or service to change goals or specifications during its lifecycle. This EVE is following an EA format so that it can finally be a tame little cash cow with low and controlled costs without the drama of customers. Doesn't mean it'll be bad, it'll just be different from what it was becoming back in the day. And then it'll be finally time to retire and do awesome other shit again - so to speak.

Just adjust expectations. As in, make them really, really, really low. Then you can always buy your way in for an hour of fun here or there.

Unless you want something that is like what EVE once was becoming (even with all its glitches and stupidities), if you actually have time and/or inclination for that kind of thing you'll have to find it elsewhere. I've been having an evil ball with Dual Universe thanks to a recent former CCPian handing out keys on coldfront - half working and hilariously erratic but oh boy, I found where Xetic lives again now, and it's really fun to farm the farmers :-)

The kind of stuff that's no longer possible in EVE. Still have fun there as well, but it's rare. Without entropy there's nothing new in EVE no matter the features.
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

what do you mean "ex" EA guy ....
    As in he used to work for EA before coming to CCP? Look up Sean Decker for details.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Unless you want something that is like what EVE once was becoming (even with all its glitches and stupidities), if you actually have time and/or inclination for that kind of thing you'll have to find it elsewhere. I've been having an evil ball with Dual Universe thanks to a recent former CCPian handing out keys on coldfront - half working and hilariously erratic but oh boy, I found where Xetic lives again now, and it's really fun to farm the farmers :-)
    I have been burned enough with paying for alphas and uncompleted games.

Show me the full product, then i'll judge what it is like.

Let me say this though, if Star Citizen is taking an age it will be a long time until we see Dual Universe in any playable state.

what do you mean "ex" EA guy ....
    As in he used to work for EA before coming to CCP? Look up Sean Decker for details.
    And has he left what he learned there behind? Has he dropped his network? :P

I have been burned enough with paying for alphas and uncompleted games.

Show me the full product, then i'll judge what it is like.

Let me say this though, if Star Citizen is taking an age it will be a long time until we see Dual Universe in any playable state.
    Star Citizen, can anybody see that getting "finished"? Getting the impression that the developers aren't that unhappy with their modus operandi.

Dual Universe is a disaster. But it is as playable as roughly EVE halfway through beta (like december 2002). For me it's more a case of its inhabitants being what they are - there's barely predators. Yet. That said, this year will pretty much decide if it fizzles or takes off, with Hrafnkell Oskarsson now on board as exec producer. And hey, death in DU hurts. Hardly a bad thing.

Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPilot View Post
    More to come

She is leaving for a political career as far as I can tell. Karkur will continue the little things project which she was doing anyway.

More to come
    Who is next since you have inside knowledge?

Banned
    And so the best looking CCP employee leaves aswell
    https://i.imgur.com/Rvz5b6l.gif
    Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian
    http://i.imgur.com/FCT2R1h.png

Thats so sexist smarn. Sit in the corner!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Thats so sexist smarn. Sit in the corner!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Are you telling me that men like women? Whaaaaat
    https://i.imgur.com/Rvz5b6l.gif
    Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian
    http://i.imgur.com/FCT2R1h.png

Such an odd moment

* see semi-grown man wonder about men liking women between pixels
    * see same dude with a picture of a sheep between same pixels

Oh boy.

A sheep?

You should go outside some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    A sheep?

You should go outside some time.
    Something tells me that it would probably be better for the human species if the guy did not go outside :P

Who would we want to replace her?
    Me

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

How many of the 'old' crew are still left at CCP?

I'm asking because it seems to me there aren't that many now with +5 years at CCP under their belt. Anyone know what retention is like for the 'not-so-well-known' developers at CCP?

Because if the old-timers are calling it quits, and the new guys never get the chance to become old-timers (i.e., build up institutional memory), this game is well and truly in maintenance mode, no matter the small 'extensions' coming out periodically.

Also, this thread should be renamed into something more appropriate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

More to come
    If you have the talent and the ambition, why use it up on a products that in it's end-of-life cycle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    More to come
    If you have the talent and the ambition, why use it up on a products that in it's end-of-life cycle?
    Cant be that hard to run for politics on an iceland with 300k citizens and also hence why CCP have to find ppl willing to move to iceland for work, must be hard.
    Not really a huge pool of people to recruit and housing and living in Iceland is pretty tough too I think
    Last edited by zangorus; June 25 2018 at 01:33:58 PM.