hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooked my card

Cooked my card

Bad timing is bad.

So I got my new spiffy AOC monitor yesterday and have been enjoying it immensly. But apparantly stepping up to av 1440 screen made My rx470 run hotter so it starten throttling.

Nbd, fired Up afterburner and started undervolting. It went beutifully. Dropped the core voltage a 100 mv reducing powerdraw by 30 watts while stable in furmark as well as in games.

But I had to be stupid. Lets see how high it will go. Bumped Up the core 50 MHz nbd furmarking away. Bumped it Up another 50. Aand the fans shut off, the temps Ran away and everything went black.

I had forgot that furmark was running as I made the change.. Cooked.

And in this gpu market as well. A 570 which has pretty much the same performance, costs 35% more than my 2 yrar old card. 😀

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Bite the bullet, or settle for a 560.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Guess you learnt an important lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Meh, not that beat up about it. It's still under warranty I just might get lucky.

Worst case; I hit the gym a bit more or put in some overtime.

You under-volted and cooked the card?

I blame the card or the software doing something fucky. But general with modern GPUs you don't get much bang for your buck by manually tweaking frequencies as most will try to maximize that based on thermals.

Yeah it's the software. Any change You make resets the fan curve so that it has to ramp back up. And that takes a fair amount of time. (Apparantly).

Doing it with furmark running was, well lets just say my sunday afternoon just cleared up.

Wait, you cooked your card just by increasing the frequency?

If you didn't increase the voltage with it, it's really retarded that the card died. I'd wager it hasn't. Or, if it has, it's something mighty fishy.

Cards don't just die without extra voltage. And even then you have OVP & shit. Actually, it's p. much impossible to cook any CPU or GPU (I know I tried once to cook a CPU and I had to give it retarded voltage with the motherboard in LN2 mode).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar

"Tin" foil vs tin whiskers, fight!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
      Spoiler:
    A friend and I fixed old gtx 295 doing this. Card was knackered and artifacting when it was replaced, and about a year later we found it in a cupboard and figured we may as well try to fix it. Oven didn't smell so good afterwards.

edit: come to think of it the cupboard might have fixed it with magic since we didn't test the card before baking it...
    Last edited by Keckers; January 29 2018 at 11:57:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Everything has a silver lining I guess. I've been annoyed by the fan in my 11 year old Corsair/seasonic PSU so I decided to replace the fan. It wasn't loud or anything it just had started to become audible basically. So I decided to rip it out and redo some cabling while I was at it. While pulling the damb thing out of the case I had to remove my huge Noctua heatsink and lo and behold, some shitter had been an utter failure at applying enough heatsink paste on the cpu. (Me, it was me.) I guess that's why cpu no 3 has always run 2 degrees hotter.

The fan was easily replaced with a Noctua fan but by Jove putting the damb thing together required quite a bit of force. There might have a few choice words and blows from a hammer which, as we all know, is a proper tool for messing around with pc's.

And oh yeah, I noticed a DP and an HDMI connection on the backplate... Didn't even know about that, I should try it out. Oh look, the monitor is lighting up. Good grief.

Load into windows, check the mail and get the message that an RX570 is on its way allthough 3 weeks out. The pc is whisper quiet again, the Idle CPU temps have dropped by 4 degrees celsius and I somehow managed to not break anything.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

A dab'll do'ya.

oh so you got an IGP and a motherboard capable of using it, well done

Old card is really ded?
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I wouldnt have started the thread if it wasnt. Lucked out this time with the rma and I get a slightly refined version of My old card. Have to say im happy with that.

Now it's just the "unconfirmed delivery date" thats annoying me.

New card arrived and installed. On the plus side, it's a bit more silent and cooler. On the negative side, the stock memory speed was only 1750Mhz compared to 2000 Mhz on the old card. That was remedied quickly. (Without furmark running )

Nice little birthday present. Beat the colonoscopy by _miles_.

So my GTX 780 died and I can't find the purchase info anywhere or anything. And I mailed the vendor and they wont fix it because its not registered, if it was registered they would fix it as they know its within time warantee.

im so sad. i cant afford a new gfx card due to the bitcoin market making them all so expensive.

i am so sad.

i dont think the oven thing will work as i get a puff of electrical smoke and orange flare whenever i try and boot up the pc from the gfx card

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    So my GTX 780 died and I can't find the purchase info anywhere or anything. And I mailed the vendor and they wont fix it because its not registered, if it was registered they would fix it as they know its within time warantee.

im so sad. i cant afford a new gfx card due to the bitcoin market making them all so expensive.

i am so sad.

i dont think the oven thing will work as i get a puff of electrical smoke and orange flare whenever i try and boot up the pc from the gfx card
    Ordered online? surely there should be an email or something somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

i am so sad.

For some reason I have every component I own in there from 2003 and beyond... can't find this fking graphics card tho....

so mad... like why would i keep everything else but that? its irritating.

i cant find it tho, i've checked everywhere.

i am so sad.

For some reason I have every component I own in there from 2003 and beyond... can't find this fking graphics card tho....

bank statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

i am so sad.

bank statement?
    hmm. i dont remember how much i paid.

might be a good shout tho still.