hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Display Port dead?

Display Port dead?

Ok, my computer is 3 years old now. My graphics card is connected to my monitor via Display port (to mini display port in monitor) and HDMI cable runs to AV Receiver (to tv). All was working well, until 3 days ago.
    When i turned PC on, my monitor was just showing “Entering power save mode” (as it does when there is no signal from graphics card). Reboot, unplug everything, replug, restart several times, nada..
    I already thought GPU kicked the bucket, when i remembered to turn on my DENON and tv, and voila – there is picture on tv. Other display is not detected though..
    Switched HDMI from DENON to monitor, voila, monitor works! Try Display port connection, nothing again.

:confusedAsFuck:

So, is it possible for one exit port on GPU to actually die, while others work? Or is it possible DisplayPort cable actually malfunctions (lol)?

Yes, and Yes. I'd recommend a) seeing if there's any dust in the port, b) making sure you have the right source selected (I know it sounds stupid but we've all done it).

Yeah, and the miniDP will be listed different to DP if you have both sockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Happened to me before, a DP cable can just die so I wouldn't blame the card just yet. Replace your DP cable and you'll be fine
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Thanks for replies gents..

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Yes, and Yes. I'd recommend a) seeing if there's any dust in the port, b) making sure you have the right source selected (I know it sounds stupid but we've all done it).
    a. Hm.. how can dust get inside of port, if cable has been plugged into it for 3 years?

b. checked that several times

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Yeah, and the miniDP will be listed different to DP if you have both sockets.
    Yep - my monitor actually reports when cable is not presently plugged into its port, so you can't mess that one up..

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Happened to me before, a DP cable can just die so I wouldn't blame the card just yet. Replace your DP cable and you'll be fine
    Ill steal DP cable from my son and try that. Meanwhile, I played around with monitor and gpu settings and made picture look exactly the same through HDMI cable. Cant tell the difference. Oh, i suddenly got speakers on my monitor report for duty, kek. Thanks, but no thanks monitor speakers..

If the DisplayPort option is selectable but no signal appears on the screen, please unplug the cable and plug it back in the make the monitor re-detect the connection. If the condition persists, try to connect the monitor using HDMI to make sure the monitor functions correctly, then try DisplayPort again.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    I'm also posting in this thread.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

Something that seems to be frying my Samsung C32HG70, which is a 144Hz (not really) monitor: running it at 144Hz, then at 120Hz. It basically throws colorful lines across the screen (if at all) before returning to normal. Apparently, that screen has massive issues judging from user reviews.

So check your refresh rate and drop it lower.
    nevar forget

Another thing i had recently: Monitor (some Dell thing) just stopped working and said "no input" whatever cables i wiggled or replugged.

Left it unplugged for a day, (not even intentionally, just happened not to use the PC that day) cam back the next, replugged for more testing, and it just worked again.
    No more problems since.

Your mileage might obvs. vary.