hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boardgames

Boardgames

What boardgames do people rate highly? I've noticed there's been a bit of a renaissance for boardgames over the past few years, but I've not actually played anything apart from Monopoly and Risk.

What do people recommend?

If people give a shit about this thread I might keep this first post updated with recommendations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Not sure what you're looking for, but I have an 8 year old. So we play Flashpoint: Fire Rescure a lot. Before that, when he was a bit younger, we played a game called Max.

Flashpoint is good because it's cooperative, leads to less meltdowns.

Games I've liked over the years, in no particular order:

Axis & Allies
    Betrayal at House on the Hill
    Pathfinder ACG
    Dark Souls
    Talisman
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Pandemic - Medical co-op save the planet

Scythe - Alternate-history, a little like Axis & Allies

Zombicide - Coop Save the planet from Zombies

Game of Thrones - There's like 2 or 3 versions of this

Ticket to Ride - Build the longest train to win game

Catan

Secret hitler

Risk

Mysterium
    Last edited by Jolin; January 18 2018 at 04:49:41 PM.

I got Scythe for xmas -it's highly rated but didn't quite grab me.
    Friend got Twilight Imperium 4th ed - but you need like 6+ hours to play a game /o\
    Battlestar Galactica - This is a fun coop game with traitor mechanic (i.e. you're a frackin toaster!)

Off the top of my head:

- MB's Samurai Swords
    I prefer it over Axis & Allies. The former has more depth, IMHO

- The Railroad series

- Targui
    It's a pretty simplistc game, rulewise. At least in comparison to those two above. But the randomized board for each game makes it interesting each time. Play time is also quite short compared to those other games, making it a game that some non-nerds might be willing to "suffer through". Coming from a Monopoly/Risk level, I suggest this as a start to up the difficulty.

Honorable mention, because it looks good, but I haven't played it: Fallout: The Board Game

[Added]
    - Junta
    Very funny. But people playing it need to be relaxed. Betrayal is integral part of the game.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; January 18 2018 at 05:48:23 PM.

Its not a board game, but we are atm playing Arkham Horror, the living cardgame.
    Its based on the Cthulhu Mythos. You create a investigator and deck to uncover and fight the evils lurking.

Its not a board game, but we are atm playing Arkham Horror, the living cardgame.
    Its based on the Cthulhu Mythos. You create a investigator and deck to uncover and fight the evils lurking.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

I think I have a mobile version of that. I really don't understand the mechanics of it and mostly hated it. Seemed cool tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

I think I have a mobile version of that. I really don't understand the mechanics of it and mostly hated it. Seemed cool tho.
    Don't mix Arkham Horror the Boardgame (which is shit) vs Arkham Horror the Cardgame (which is amazing)

Mustsee:
    (haven't tried the game, but every time I see this vid I wanna try it)

The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

Slightly more groggy, if you like this kind of stuff, is the Combat Commander series.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...mmander-europe

It's basically squad leader meets card deck driven random events system which ends up creating amazing emergent war stories in a ww2 setting. Real good.

Twilight Struggle is straight up one of the best strategy games ever made.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...light-struggle
    meh

Games I've played in the last year or so:

Pandemic - easy-ish co-op game that can ramp up pretty hard sometimes (especially with more epidemics in the deck)

Forbidden Desert/Island - Both co-op and both very tough, but also reasonably quick.

Ticket to Ride - Pretty simple game that is easy to get into and play

Lords of Waterdeep - D&D themed board game that's pretty heavy on the strategy and is pretty good. Not too difficult to learn to play.

Mysterium - Ideally requires 3+ players, one person is a ghost and your all working to solve who killed them. Requires some thinking as it's very picture orientated and linking small clues together.

Talisman - great game but requires 90+ minutes depending on the number of players. I haven't tried any of the expansions but there are a few of them.

Settlers of Catan - Pretty solid game that can be pretty frustrating if the dice don't go your way or you picked your settlement locations poorly. Can be very funny when that happens to other people however.

Agricola - Farm building game that I never quite go the hang of in the few games I played.

Automobiles - Car racing game that is pretty solid. Simple enough set of rules but with plenty of variation in the options available that makes it quite replayable.

Splendor - Sort of card based game, some interesting mechanics about buying up resources to help buy other resources worth points.

Snow Tails - Similar to Automobiles but with huskies and sleds. Going for the cute dogs angle but the mechanics are pretty solid and the courses you create can be pretty difficult.

I'm sure there are more but that's about all I can remember.

Dominion - card game, 4 players, loads of extensions, really good

Dead Man's Draw - awesome card game https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...dead-mans-draw
    Mice and Mystics - Descent like game, but easier and kids friendly https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ce-and-mystics
    Legends of Andor - scenario style cooperative adventure game https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/.../legends-andor
    Exploding Kittens - russian roulette https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...loding-kittens
    Arkham Horror - coop adventure game https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror
    Your sense of entitlement, strong it is.

Have to add CCPs Danger Game if you really want to alienate friends. Ruthless PvP, can take a bit long if people play it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

I like Terraforming Mars.

Splendor mentioned above is also really good and quick to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Snottus View Post
    Mustsee:
    (haven't tried the game, but every time I see this vid I wanna try it)

My god I remember playing this in my youth. My mom would DM for me and my two brothers. We had no idea what DnD was and this was perfect "lite" dungeon crawling. There were like 10 levels and you kept items/leveled up. I'm amazed no one made anything similar since that game goes for like $200 on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManFromDelmonte View Post
    I like Terraforming Mars.

Splendor mentioned above is also really good and quick to play.
    Confirmed, Splendor is really good.

Casual game, can play with everyone.

Last board game I played was Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game. Fun fantasy themed "dudes on a map" light wargame (Axis and Allies complexity level). Has four empires, can play teams of two or free for all.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ath-board-game

I got Star Wars: Rebellion and the expansion for Christmas, but haven't found anybody to play with yet.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...wars-rebellion
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang