hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey Anthony trial

Casey Anthony trial

Dunno how many folks have been following this circus but...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/05...anthony-trial/

So, O.J. is now a small white girl? Cripes.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleene View Post

Hm how the fuck is she not guilty, i really dont get that news article o.O
    Quote Originally Posted by tekai
    [21:34:02] <tekai> examine all options and take the least worst one

She's still guilty of multiple counts of providing false statements. She could be in jail for years just because of that.
    I didn't see too much of the trial, but from what I did the defense seemed pretty on the ball. All he had to do was create reasonable doubt, remember. Even though it seems weird that she could be guilty of the false statements and yet somehow NOT be involved in her daughters death, it still doesn't matter if there's insufficient evidence tying her directly to the bigger crimes.

It's not really a parallel to OJ, even though that's what everyone is saying. OJ's trial was hampered by misconduct all around, to say nothing of the fact that an impartial jury was impossible to find given that the guy had years of celebrity status. Casey Anthony was as much a nobody as you or me before this event.

edit: what I did not know was how notorious this trial had become. I live where it's happening so I never thought to look it up on the national news outlets.
    Last edited by Dirk Magnum; July 5 2011 at 06:47:31 PM.

the fucking rage posts from all the stay at home moms on my facebook is fucking hilarious. "OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM IS BROKEN" is the common theme. If casey was found guilty theyd all be lauding it and shouting how great the US justice system is from the highest of fucking hills and the deepest of fucking valleys.

Was lol'ing at this on #shc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Magnum View Post
    She's still guilty of multiple counts of providing false statements. She could be in jail for years just because of that.
    Nah, that's all misdemeanor bullshit. She'll get 'time served' and be selling books in no time.

I didn't really know much about this until the past week or so but my mom was an Assistant District Attorney for 13 years so it was kinda hard not to get wrapped up near the end game (court room drama fuck yeah). Near as I can tell:

The jury was tired after a 6 week trial.

The evidence was mostly circumstantial.

The circumstantial evidence was pretty damn strong.

Watching it live, that bitch looked like she knew she was fucked... then 'not guilty' happened and shit got unreal.

The prosecution failed to PROVE that she did it... so she's 'innocent'.

Based on everything I've seen & read, it's still pretty fucking unbelievable that she's gonna walk scott free.

also...children die every day. Why the fuck is this national news?

because it's a white kid you moran.

also this case will probably be reopened and she'll finally go to jail in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rans View Post
    also this case will probably be reopened and she'll finally go to jail in the future.
    Nope. Can't try someone for the same crime twice. It's over.

The jury had to deliberate based on the direct evidence. There was definately evidence that she knew what happened. There was definately evidence that she hid the death and there is evidence that her father knew... but there was no direct evidence to link her to the death itself. No knife with finger prints and the baby's DNA or anything of the like. Nothing.

Watching it live, that bitch looked like she knew she was fucked... then 'not guilty' happened and shit got unreal.
    She seems to have held that stony demeanor throughout most of the trial... except when the jury was sent out of the courtroom on occasion so the lawyers could deliberate matters of whatever with the judge. She was smiling and seemed a lot more animated then. At least from what I saw in the final week of the trial, so at least by that point the defense must have been pretty confident.

The false statements may be a misdemeanor, but the legal analysts are saying it carries a one-year maximum penalty in Florida that (at the judge's discretion) could run consecutively thus resulting in a maximum of four years in jail. Who knows if that will happen, but it's a possible scenario.

edit: and what country is Rans from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Magnum View Post
    S

edit: and what country is Rans from?
    European Federation. I had no idea you can't be judged twice for the same things. Especially in a case like this, it makes no sense.

I actually had been following this, Im pretty sure the testimony of the nanny on last Thursday is what sealed deal for the not guilty verdict. I just hope they got it right. Would hate to see someone get away with drowning their own kid, but at the same time, I would hate to see someone get the death penalty for making a whole bunch of wrong decisions after seeing her first born laying dead in a pool.

European Federation. I had no idea you can't be judged twice for the same things. Especially in a case like this, it makes no sense.
    Go see fracture, really good movie and actually explains a little bit how the US legal system works in regards to retrials of crimes.
    Last edited by rojomojo915; July 5 2011 at 07:13:22 PM.

IIRC there are circumstances in which she could go back to trial for something associated with this case, though the charges wouldn't be for anything she's already been acquitted of. Also, the evidence presented would have to be all new.

She's already been in jail for 3 years waiting on this trial - she'll be out this afternoon and never serve another day.

because it's a white kid you moran.

lol...youre terrible. Bitter about this i see..

vOv
    LOL SIGNATURES.

I haven't been following it, at all. There was never any point in doing so as she was so clearly guilty. But now, just whhhhhhaaaaat the fuck is going on???

Who is this, and should I care?

She's already been in jail for 3 years waiting on this trial - she'll be out this afternoon and never serve another day.
    Also likely. But she was arrested and released on bail several times prior to getting locked up indefinately to await trial. She earned herself that label of flight risk and repeat offender. I'm sure she'll get credit for every day she served but we'll see how sympathetic the judge is when it comes to the rest of the potential time she could still do. 4 years minus whatever number of years and days, I guess.

I'd offer an ISK wager on whether or not the judge sentences her to anything in addition to time served but I may not have access to my computer until late July and assorted other excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by indeterminacy View Post
    I haven't been following it, at all. There was never any point in doing so as she was so clearly guilty. But now, just whhhhhhaaaaat the fuck is going on???
    Well that's the thing. If people HAD been following it they'd have probably seen that her guilt in the major charges was less than obvious. Likely? Sure. Obvious? Not enough for a guilty verdict.

The jury was tired after a 6 week trial.
    This is why juries filled with Joe McAverage Knuckledragger is and will always be a terrible idea.

Also lol @ expecting people to put their lives on hold for several months to do their badly paid civic duty