hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMA: Frankfurt am Main, Germany

TMA: Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Chance I may be there later this year. I know little about the City as a tourist destination, where to go, what to see, anything to avoid.

I know we have some kind German's here, and I hope you can give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    The airport is big.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    it's in germany

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    im deutschland ja

To be frank, you should go further east and enjoy some of the main famous German cities around.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    To be frank, you should go further east and enjoy some of the main famous German cities around.
    Aye, was my thought exactly. I've not been to Berlin and it's high on my list (for the history and WWII stuff if nothing else). Munich would be nice (only even been in their airport so far).

But the City choice is not up to me, I just need to make the best of it when I'm there.

I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    I love you.

Contact Hel OWeen.

He is a local. If you come to Berlin, give me a shout.

Props on doing the stereotypical Anglophone thing and going to Munich first.
    nevar forget

Don't get off the train until you get to Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Contact Hel OWeen.

It was a mid-stop on the way from Warsaw back home. I was quite disappointed not to have a bit more time there.

Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    There is some point about that, Frankfurt was pretty much gone after WWII. It's the only city in Germany with proper skyscrapers etc which makes it look quite American from afar. Cologne has its Cathedral.

I would however grab a rental car or maybe a train to Limburg an der Lahn. A regional train is going between Frankfurt and Limburg (Lahn) every hour for example. It is a small city with a beautiful medieval town centre and a beautiful cathedral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Contact Hel OWeen.

It was a mid-stop on the way from Warsaw back home. I was quite disappointed not to have a bit more time there.
    The airport is nice (especially Terminal 2), probably Germany's best. The city itself is nice as well, there's lots to do, great food, amazing beer etc. But whenever you speak to an anglophone person, specifically an American, when they talk about going to Germany, they mean Munich. They also equate Germany with Bavaria, which is a bit annoying especially when you take into account the Bavarian separatist tendencies.
    nevar forget

There is some point about that, Frankfurt was pretty much gone after WWII. It's the only city in Germany with proper skyscrapers etc which makes it look quite American from afar. Cologne has its Cathedral.

I would however grab a rental car or maybe a train to Limburg an der Lahn. A regional train is going between Frankfurt and Limburg (Lahn) every hour for example. It is a small city with a beautiful medieval town centre and a beautiful cathedral.
    Contact Hel OWeen.

The airport is nice (especially Terminal 2), probably Germany's best. The city itself is nice as well, there's lots to do, great food, amazing beer etc. But whenever you speak to an anglophone person, specifically an American, when they talk about going to Germany, they mean Munich. They also equate Germany with Bavaria, which is a bit annoying especially when you take into account the Bavarian separatist tendencies.
    Ah, I understand. When most folks I know think Germany, their thoughts rarely get further than "Octoberfest, woooo! BEER!" and "Nazis".

So yeah. 'Mericans.

Berlin is my #1 choice, so much history there, from WWII and the Cold War especially.

I'd love to see Hohenzollern Castle. Or any number of other German Castles, love me some castles.

But aye, Castles, Cathedrals, gothic architecture, historic locations (battle sites, or anything really), and historic Old Towns are amongst my favs when I'm abroad in Europe.

That, and local beer (for the wife), food and liquor (for me), of course!
    Last edited by Alistair; January 5 2018 at 08:38:59 PM.

Contact Hel OWeen.

Ah, I understand. When most folks I know think Germany, their thoughts rarely get further than "Octoberfest, woooo! BEER!" and "Nazis".

So yeah. 'Mericans.

Berlin is my #1 choice, so much history there, from WWII and the Cold War especially.

I'd love to see Hohenzollern Castle. Or any number of other German Castles, love me some castles.

But aye, Castles, Cathedrals, gothic architecture, historic locations (battle sites, or anything really), and historic Old Towns are amongst my favs when I'm abroad in Europe.

That, and local beer, food and liquor, of course!
    Castles, you should try a trip through Thuringia. Jena has an old university and a huge planetarium (also the oldest) that always runs the newest tech (Zeiss hometown). Two small castle ruins on the outskirts and some medieval streets, university town, so lots of bars as well. Weimar probably doesn't need much introduction, Germany's most famous classic authors worked there (Goethe and Schiller), and then there's also the KZ Buchenwald. Erfurt has a massive Napoelonic fortress in it's town centre right next to its cathedral. From there it isn't far to Eisenach and the Wartburg, where Luther translated the Bible into German and hid from the Catholic Emperor.
    All along that route are numerous castles to visit, about 2-3 per city.
    nevar forget

• i hhave taken a shit there
    MAX damage posting

If you'll be renting a car do the drive along the Rhine down to Mainz and then up to Cologne. The stretch around Koblenz is beautiful, sort of German wine country where a lot of Riesling is made.

Last edited by I Legionnaire; January 6 2018 at 03:05:39 AM.

I hear the internet there is fast

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I hear the internet there is fast
    Only for the banks. Internet speeds in Germany are rather disappointing, especially network coverage for cell phones.
    Though that won't be that much of an issue in downtown Frankfurt.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I go to Frankfurt a lot for work. Can confirm, T2 at the airport is better because it has the japanese noodle bar. Fuck Lufthansa and their shitty chinese.

Good bars and some nice places for food. I quite like going to shishandis sheesha bar. Very chill with some nice little restaurants around the area. There was a great vietnemese down the road that i went to called Quan Van that I enjoyed a lot.

Massive Red light district too!

Contact Hel OWeen.

Yepp, local here. Although I'm a bit embarassed to admit that I don't know much "tourist things".

Contact me nonetheless. I'd be happy to figure something out and/or meet you for a drink or lunch.