hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pc Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Dare View Post
    Yea well he's knocking on a bit now so therefore he want's what he wants...

We discussed the Monitor issue tonight, it's currently one of those combi TV/monitor types with built in Freeview. Its shit. I told him so when he bought it and he soon realised himself. it's 22" 1080p but the screen quality is terrible.

He's getting onto Virgin about installing a second tv box in the back room, if he does this the Freeview is not required anymore and he can upgrade to a Better/Bigger Monitor, Which one I don't yet know but has was suggesting around 28" may work for him as
    he likes to also sit on the couch and watch the footie!. I think he wanted bigger but I am of the persuasion much bigger than that and he won't be sitting at his desk very often. I've yet to look at monitors but suggestions on the topic welcome. you boys know your shit.
    I again want to draw attention to peripherals, such as wireless mouse & keyboard (~30), which could really go well with a TV+monitor combo screen used at a distance.
    Also we can ignore all 144Hz gaming monitor crap.
    Unfortunately I only have experience in ~200-400 IPS panels, because Hnnng Dell stands if you know you'll be moving location several times in its lifetime, and/or want to swivel it from landscape to portrait for work.

Is the current TV source via HDMI/DP? Or requiring a built in tuner/coaxial input, or SCART?

P.S. Also wireless headphone might be a way to go, for quality of life for all involved.

P.P.S. 286 for a 2018 25" IPS QHD Dell seems great if the quality is still there. Not familiar with the D series vs the U/H or P, but it seems it's to do with the wider colour gamut support, rather than economy vs pro lines.
    The only concern would again be high DPI & wanting support for 125+% font & icon scaling in your OS & apps if used without good eyesight.
    But it's 100 cheaper than a 2015 model same res Ultrasharp P...
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 29 2017 at 07:18:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Dan he's confirmed tonight keyboard/mouse are not on the agenda. The headphone are a good call, he suffers with poor hearing and often puts subtitiles on the tv. That could be a winner. I'll suggest the wireless kb/ms once were up and running.

Current Tv source is physically built into the TV something like this

The pc is connected up via HDMI iirc and the tv itself must be plumbed into the aerial via coax connection.

Just dawned on me that the 25 Grfx card could be unsuitable. if he opt's for a bigger screen @ a higher res it's game over. it can't even muster HDMI 2.0.

Never had the pleasure of a 27" monitor in any resolution, how do they look at 1920x1080 ? bear in mind were Talking a 65+ yo with imperfect eyeballs.
    Last edited by Freddy Dare; December 29 2017 at 08:41:50 PM.

I'd expect 27" at just 1080p is totally adequate for this. A fine native res for multimedia content, just ensure non-bad upscaling in the monitor for when the source isn't the GPU. The low DPI would make text and icons easy enough to read without needing scaling, and 27" is ok to use as a TV from ~6' away.
    I mean, a 32" 1080p TV is fine at ~9' iirc. A 4K 50" needs you to be within ~6' to even see the pixel difference with good eyesight, it's just generally UHD TV content is also better/less compressed, from a higher quality original camera & via improved colour reproduction.
    The overall quality of (free) TV content being a whole other topic of debate...

A ~30 Freeview/sat HD decoder box can sort you out for coax -> HMDI so the monitor doesn't need to directly do anything extra. More and you can bundle in DVR functionality.

1 niggle might be the need to physically push a button on the monitor to change HMDI source, as a non-TV screen won't have a remote controller... But if the PC's off, surely it'd auto-select the tv box input, and when at the PC you can then poke it to swap over if the box is still outputting. Only bother might be if the PC wants to be left on & he wants to walk away & then have it swap to TV. I dunno if monitors can easily be set to favour the most recent/new input. With only 1 device actually outputting at a time it could well be a non-issue, but IDK how an idling/on-standby tv box would be handled.

P.S. if you're not down with the kids, there's now these neckband head/earphones if people don't like over the head full covering ones (but the padded earcups & headband are so nice), or over the ear/behind the neck ones pinching/weighing down on your ears and just trailing cables for in-line remote controls.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 29 2017 at 09:43:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macout View Post
    Buy 16 RAM . 8 is not enough even for casual browsing (if barely it is now, it will not be in nearby future)
    nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Buy 16 RAM . 8 is not enough even for casual browsing (if barely it is now, it will not be in nearby future)
    nonsense
    Buy Titan V.

Tbh I struggle with Chrome with 7-8 tabs, Bitdefender, Dropbox, Malwarebytes and having enuf RAM on one of my laptops. Chrome has retarded RAM usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Please Chrome isn't that bad, I've got 13 tabs...

I didn't mention on Windows. Idk on Mac, my MBP deals with RAM better but I'm using Safari there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    nonsense
    Buy Titan V.
    it's got electrolytes!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Freddy, did you order the Ryzen 3 1300X yet? AFAIK it isn't getting a price drop while many others did today, but the Ryzen 3 2200G APU is now announced and ~25% cheaper.