hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dafuq happend to my wifi????

Dafuq happend to my wifi????

Right, tired of the shit speed i used to have (30/10), I desided to upgrade to a 70/20 line a couple of days ago, and I got a new and improved router to go along so yay me right (as I have a slight hope this will fix the constant socket errors in eve).
    However, as I come home and connect it all I check the speed on the net on my phone and yeah, I get whats promised. Sadly, later in the evening i sit down infront of the pc and I notice it takes foreeeever to even open fhc.
    Quickly check speedtest and it tells me i have a speed varying between 3mb and a max of 17 depending on how lucky I am. Checked on my laptop, and the same exact thing there as well.

However, all phones in the house and my daughters mac are all getting 70mb down.
    Bought a new usb wifi thingy in hopes it could be that as my old was old as shit and couldnt connect to the 5g option, however the new one is almost as bad as the old one.
    With the new one i get around 15 down and 20 up using the 2.4 net, and using the 5g i get the insane speed of 3mb down but still 20 up.

Any suggestions? at least the old router actually gave me 30 down on my pc...

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

1) Do be sure the phones are using the wifi and not HSPA+. And that you're not confusing MB with Mb.

2) Can you set the router to only use 5GHz, or 2.4GHz, and test then? Also, try with auto-channel selection, or test out each channel individually.
    Ideally also compare performance with only 1 device using the wifi at a time, and when several are doing something like streaming YT.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

P.S., if using a wifi dongle, do ensure you have the latest drivers, perhaps the OS isn't detecting it as a high power/always on device and it's being indirectly throttled that way. And do have it directly plugged into the mobo (via dedicated extension cable is ok) rather than via a hub such as in your monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    1) Do be sure the phones are using the wifi and not HSPA+. And that you're not confusing MB with Mb.

2) Can you set the router to only use 5GHz, or 2.4GHz, and test then? Also, try with auto-channel selection, or test out each channel individually.
    Ideally also compare performance with only 1 device using the wifi at a time, and when several are doing something like streaming YT.
    1) Checked and sure. And as mentioned, the damn mac is getting full speed as well
    2) Have checked with 5g turned off, and it didnt make any difference to the 2.4 speed. (also speed on the pc was tested before anyone else was connected to the wifi as i was the only one that knew the pw )
    Have also tried different channels, but it doesnt seem to do any good.

On the machines you are having issues with; do you have the internet connection setup with custom properties, like a static IP and such? if so try using the automatic config and testing it.

Also what is the make & model of the new router? Does it support MIMO?

Okay obvious question here. What's the performance on wired directly?

boy the new adapter is it plugged into a usb 3 port

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

If you have 2 machines on wifi doing the same thing then it's not the adapter in one of the machines...

Cable where possible.

Try setting the wifi channel to something else? You might be getting stomped on by other wifi around you.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Why use wi-fi on PC? I can understand it on a laptop, but on a PC use a cable.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Why use wi-fi on PC? I can understand it on a laptop, but on a PC use a cable.
    Cause dragging the cable through the house was apparantly a massive no no according to the gf, same was the brilliant idea I had of moving it to the livingroom...

My PC is also in the living room, however "dragging" a cable can be achieved next to walls and through door frames and behind the sofa/etc, plenty of ways of camouflaging the stuff. I ran cables to all the stuff that can use it properly (PC, second PC, console, bluray player, amplifier, Raspberry Pi), then again I had to engineer the whole mess with cable management so it doesn't look like the AT&T cupboard

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Power line adapters are pretty cool. You lose some speed, but it's reliable. At least mine is, and it was super cheap.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Power line adapters are pretty cool. You lose some speed, but it's reliable. At least mine is, and it was super cheap.
    Yeah my house is networked with powerline adaptors and a few wifi hubs for maximum coverage, handles 5 of us working/gaming/wanking/streaming no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Blasphemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idk I heard powerlines are shit for gaming and depend way too much on the quality of the wiring in the house.

Army have you checked what kind of port you connected the wifi adapter to? It will more than likely need the blue colour (usb3) port. If it's connected to a USB2 port (the black ones) it might not have installed properly.

What is the make and model of the new adapter and what version of windows are you using? If you have discord jump on it, I can talk you through a few things to check

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    idk I heard powerlines are shit for gaming and depend way too much on the quality of the wiring in the house.

Army have you checked what kind of port you connected the wifi adapter to? It will more than likely need the blue colour (usb3) port. If it's connected to a USB2 port (the black ones) it might not have installed properly.

What is the make and model of the new adapter and what version of windows are you using? If you have discord jump on it, I can talk you through a few things to check
    5 years ago power line adaptors were a joke.. Now, the technology isnt half bad. I mean its not 10GB/s good, but its better than it used to be.. Depending on the house you have, you might have issues if your wall sockets are on different circuits or they share the same circuit as your lighting, but this isnt normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I might look into that, tho i still dont get why I have this issue, and neither did a friend of mine that works with this kinda shit...

Donor
    How old is the laptop, could it's wifi madness be limited to 4G or 3G?

Aren't you mixing up LTE/GSM generations and WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac?

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    powerline adaptors are okish, but very dependent on the wiring. my house is old old (200yrs) and i just cannot get adaptors to create a stable network. wireless ditto has similar issues (thick walls)