3 27.27%
  • No. Jenkins is Fine!

8 72.73%

Thread: Fuck Jenkins?

Question Fuck Jenkins?

?

CircleCI is my favorite.
    meh

I haven't willingly set up a jenkins instance in years.

VSTS is my main use but I also dabble with AppVeyor occasionally.

Anyone was able to set up CI enviroment with builds after pull requests using BitBucket and Jenkins without relying on that plugin that requires you to set up Cron jobs every few minutes?

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

missing "everything is awful" and comedy option.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Missing PEBKAC option.

Quote Originally Posted by balistic void View Post
    Missing PEBKAC option.
    Oh I have nothing against it. But deploying Jenkins in a reproducible manner is not a problem I really wish to solve right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently on the periphery of a jenkins cluster, why does it suck? what decent alternatives are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinsrevenger View Post
    Currently on the periphery of a jenkins cluster, why does it suck? what decent alternatives are there?
    Jenkins is "fine" but he tends to shit the bed more often than I'd like. He'll be choochin' along building shit and running tests and whatever else and then one day you notice, something held up an executor or worse. Couldn't clean up workspace, ran out of disk space (but didn't warn anyone beforehand) or you install some clusterfuck of plugins (because you need a handful of them just to use him) and something interferes with something and pbbbt, you're getting 50 lines of java errors on the plugins management page itself, so now you can't even disable the plugin that broke the damn thing. I'm not saying he's not stable, I saw him used as a replacement for cron, just ehhh...

Like one thing I noticed is you better set a limit on the number of builds saved or you'll chew up gigs of storage saving completely useless information on old builds. There's no sane default (or at least there wasn't when I used it) so we had to go through every job and tell him to stop storing history to the beginning of time. That's kinda stupid.

Still I voted for 'fine' because in the end I find him easy to use and gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    I saw him used as a replacement for cron, just ehhh...
    All the wats?

Jenkins is fine. It's problem, like most of the applications it's age and lineage (The dank "Java is the OS to the Network Computer" Sun timeline) is its super verbose and really becomes someones job at any level of scale.

These days I prefer to use a SaaS as my code is already in the cloud, so my build system should be as well. AS I mentioned, I use CircleCI. I find it flexible.

Here is the more important question. How many of you are using Jenkins a Jenkinsfile checked in with your code vs. configuring through the GUI?
    meh

We don't even have our Jenkins being backed up. So that's a no to Jenkinsfile

Yes I know it's fucking terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    All the wats?
    Yep. It's not as crazy as it sounds. Someone was like "We need something better than cron" to run jobs. We had tried a couple of things... I want to say one was called.. cronus? And another... uhh... circus? But maybe circus did something slightly different? I guess it keeps things alive mostly. I never used it, but i'm sure it was somehow involved here. They both got met with lukewarm to negative receptions. Jenkins, otoh, gives you everything you need to trigger whatever you need on a schedule. Soblem prolved.

The people who went ahead with this were the same guys who set up our mesosphere along with zookeeper setup for production, in house, on our own servers. They were generally amazing compared to what I see today and I wish I was working with those ninjas again.
    Last edited by Frug; December 20 2017 at 03:35:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Here is the more important question. How many of you are using Jenkins a Jenkinsfile checked in with your code vs. configuring through the GUI?

The only problem I have with my employer's Jenkins is that it's 100 person plus engineering org all using the same thing, so there's hundreds of damn jobs littering the place, all of them flat, nothing in team folders.
    The project I'm building is on one of the new pipeline servers or whatever they call it. Blue I think.