hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aea's Intel i7 Bear Naked Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    >does hardcore overlocks
    >plays civ 5 on what could do 10 crysis windows at once
    idk
    You'd be surprised just how much it makes these games faster.
    From 10 second turn time to 8 seconds?

I SAID JUST ONE MORE TURN DAMN IT!!

Quit while you're ahead on the GPU side of things, more GFLOPS ain't worth shit or breaking things.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    i7s are hardly marketed as budget items, or cheap vs the price of doing this better. Not sure what your post was about other than sucking Intel dick and/or having a personal dig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    It boggles my mind that either: people think they can do better than a company that's managed to mass produce 'printing' over 1 billion transistors into something so small; or that it's possibly to cheaply do better than said company at simply putting a decently thermally-conductive lid on it.
    I agree, and benchmarks show that this actually helps the cpu run cooler.
    The benefit is that you can overclock it a little.

Which is probably the reason Intel does not do it out of the box.
    Up until yesterday I was giving people awful stick about delidding, including aea who I branded a moron but after looking up temperature comparison of before and after the thermal goop was replaced, I'm now convinced I would likely do the same thing.

Someone threw a figure of between 10 and 30 degrees cooler which I dismissed as horse shit, well those are the same numbers that show up on reputable sites in their benchmarks. This is the real deal fams, intel wont be putting 30 dollar thermal grease on every i7 but you can and you might reap some serious rewards for doing so
    I expect if it gets popular Intel will start releasing 'special edition' k series cpus with some top of the line paste replacing their normal crap for like $100 more..

This also isn't worth doing it you aren't overclocking. The standard goop will be fine for what's advertised on the box.
    Yes but if you're buying a K or X series CPU (both of which have the terrible thermal goop), you're not likely to be running at stock. Intel knows this and they advertise the CPUs as being unlocked, then deliberately cripple their performance with poor TIM.

They've been doing this since Ivy Bridge, they did release some special edition CPUs with the old style TIM in Devil's Canyon, but since then it's been thermal goop only, even on the $1000+ extreme edition products.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

I doubt there's anything deliberate about it. Remember the high end desktop market is a rounding error of a rounding error in terms of their revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I doubt there's anything deliberate about it. Remember the high end desktop market is a rounding error of a rounding error in terms of their revenue.
    Gonna need some real numbers here.

Also something like an 6700/7700/8700 K is basically the "flagship" of the consumer platform. Attainable, vs. completely bonkers like the i9/X which require a different socket and go up in price very very fast.

Client Computing Group (CCG) is the arm of Intel that produces consumer CPUs and chipsets, and it's responsible for over 50% of their total revenue stream and around 66% of their profit stream.

How much of that is down to enthusiasts, I can't find out from a quick google, but I suspect it's not a large amount and the bulk of the revenue is more likely from volume products as provided to OEMs.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

It boggles my mind that either: people think they can do better than a company that's managed to mass produce 'printing' over 1 billion transistors into something so small; or that it's possibly to cheaply do better than said company at simply putting a decently thermally-conductive lid on it.
    Why not? Most decisions done by these companies is per profit basis. If the cheaper, simpler solution works well enough™ they will always go with that.

Gonna need some real numbers here.

Also something like an 6700/7700/8700 K is basically the "flagship" of the consumer platform. Attainable, vs. completely bonkers like the i9/X which require a different socket and go up in price very very fast.
    When I said "high end desktop" I meant "people buying their own parts and plugging them in".

Hard numbers are hard to come by, but I'm happy with the inference. Intel's "consumer computing" devices cover everything from socketed desktop CPUs to embedded laptop CPUs to chipsets, modems, SoCs and everything in between. Essentially anything that's not plugged into a datacentre. That illustrates that we're already talking about a subset of a single division of intel's business. Mixing into that we can throw in their recent relative performance, such as last year shedding 12,000 jobs due to underperforming "PC" sales. Further into that we can show that within this shrinking market desktops in general are outsold 1.5:1 by laptops. I can't find public hard numbers right now, but you can take my word that a majority of desktop sales are business sales.

So, for consumer desktops we're already talking about a shrinking and rump part of a subset of a comparatively small sector of the market. We're further subsetting that again to find those consumers who are buying their own parts.

We're subsetting that even further to find people buying their own parts and overclocking.

And even further for the last few lunatics who care about pushing for those last few Hertz.

So did Intel deliberately use a poorer quality assembly in order to squeeze you for a few more dollars? Maybe. More likely is they just don't give a shit about you and went with whatever worked out cheaper, safe in the knowledge that 99.9% or more of their business is unlikely to be impacted.

do you have to delid ryzen

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

TL;DR: from 9 months ago: no.
    It seems that AMD is using two small pads of Indium solder along with some gold plating on the inside of the IHS to facilitate heat transfer and allow the solder to mate with the IHS. Because AMD is using what seems to be high quality solder TIM, delidding and replacing the TIM does not seem to be necessary at all
    It means AMD sell you a finished product (unlocked too iirc), while Intel are sitting on this relatively cheap potential way to push their top tier GHz offering and improve performance/price (or simply top available performance, for now), though possibly trading off power, heat, noise to do so.
    But yeah, it's almost 2018, GHz aren't where all the marketing is going, and the competition's coming up from many-core, low power ARM in every other device. Which is why it's such a big deal that Ryzen hit equal IPS with more cores and more scalability, and flexibility to integrate heterogeneous cores.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 6 2017 at 10:14:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

i like ryzen, next chance i get to build my own pc it'll be all amd

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    do you have to delid ryzen
    You can but no, the gains are tiny. AMD also still use solder as their thermal compound so it's already pretty good and a pain in the backside to remove..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

And even further for the last few lunatics who care about pushing for those last few Hertz.
    #AllHertzMatter

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Why not? Most decisions done by these companies is per profit basis. If the cheaper, simpler solution works well enough™ they will always go with that.
    Exactly comrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

5.2 GHZ Got!

Ratios (1/2/3/4+) 55/54/53/52
    VCore 1.45 Static with LLC Level 4
    AVX Offset 3

Seems to be stable in a 15 Minutes Rogbench. Will run overnight too but first time to genocide some xenos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update

Spoiler:

Should I go full balls to the wall and re-TIM the Titan X next?
    Nice results.

Leave the Titan X as it is, don't be retarded. If you really want good temps on it go full water (custom loop, not AIO).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.