hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aea's Intel i7 Bear Naked Thread

Aea's Intel i7 Bear Naked Thread

Prepare your F keys gentlemen, it's about to get real hairy.

Bear? Get it?

Spoiler:

Fuck it. YouTube being so bad so here's the untrimmed fuckery *.

* Because iOS refuses to save a video under 45 seconds in length.

** And YouTube takes 20 minutes to trim it.
    Last edited by Aea; December 5 2017 at 02:01:04 AM.

Looking forward to seeing the speeds you can get out of it after this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

What am I looking at. What is that plastic vice thing, what are those doodads.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Intel CPUs have this thing called an IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader). Underneath that is the CPU Die (the shiny silicon thingie with angry pixies), a glob of dirt, and then the IHS itself.

A delid is to remove that (i.e. with a plastic doo-dad like https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/pro...nt=44400564813), clean off the dirt, remove the silicone glue, apply a quality TIM (Thermal Interface Material) like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, and re-glue (some people skip this).

Then you let it rest for 24 hours for the silicone to fully set.

Then you hope it boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Intel CPUs have this thing called an IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader). Underneath that is the CPU Die (the shiny silicon thingie with angry pixies), a glob of dirt, and then the IHS itself.

A delid is to remove that (i.e. with a plastic doo-dad like https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/pro...nt=44400564813), clean off the dirt, remove the silicone glue, apply a quality TIM (Thermal Interface Material) like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, and re-glue (some people skip this).

Then you hope it boots.
    Basically, intel have started using a really shitty thermal paste between the top of the actual silicon chip and the case (heat spreader). As a result the chip gets hotter than it should (or can). So the idea is, take the top off, remove their shit goop, replace with your own better goop, chip runs cooler (and can therefor be overclocked better).

Void's your warranty and if you mess up you can destroy the chip pretty easily. If you succeed you can get some pretty impressive gains as now you can get the heat out of the chip faster.

It boggles my mind that either: people think they can do better than a company that's managed to mass produce 'printing' over 1 billion transistors into something so small; or that it's possibly to cheaply do better than said company at simply putting a decently thermally-conductive lid on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Daneel - I'm still clueless / thank God some things never change - treveeeeze

Derpin from Chinaphone
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

i7s are hardly marketed as budget items, or cheap vs the price of doing this better. Not sure what your post was about other than sucking Intel dick and/or having a personal dig.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    It boggles my mind that either: people think they can do better than a company that's managed to mass produce 'printing' over 1 billion transistors into something so small; or that it's possibly to cheaply do better than said company at simply putting a decently thermally-conductive lid on it.
    I agree, and benchmarks show that this actually helps the cpu run cooler.
    The benefit is that you can overclock it a little.

Which is probably the reason Intel does not do it out of the box.

Considering my vanilla overclock was +1.4Ghz I gotta agree with Dee. Itís good enough for what theyíre advertising and then some. But that +1.5Ghz looks awfully tempting =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7s are hardly marketed as budget items, or cheap vs the price of doing this better. Not sure what your post was about other than sucking Intel dick and/or having a personal dig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post

Up until yesterday I was giving people awful stick about delidding, including aea who I branded a moron but after looking up temperature comparison of before and after the thermal goop was replaced, I'm now convinced I would likely do the same thing.

Someone threw a figure of between 10 and 30 degrees cooler which I dismissed as horse shit, well those are the same numbers that show up on reputable sites in their benchmarks. This is the real deal fams, intel wont be putting 30 dollar thermal grease on every i7 but you can and you might reap some serious rewards for doing so

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Itís not the product cost. Itís the automation and transport concerns IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post

Up until yesterday I was giving people awful stick about delidding, including aea who I branded a moron but after looking up temperature comparison of before and after the thermal goop was replaced, I'm now convinced I would likely do the same thing.

Someone threw a figure of between 10 and 30 degrees cooler which I dismissed as horse shit, well those are the same numbers that show up on reputable sites in their benchmarks. This is the real deal fams, intel wont be putting 30 dollar thermal grease on every i7 but you can and you might reap some serious rewards for doing so
    I expect if it gets popular Intel will start releasing 'special edition' k series cpus with some top of the line paste replacing their normal crap for like $100 more..

This also isn't worth doing it you aren't overclocking. The standard goop will be fine for what's advertised on the box.

hone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Peak of 61C vs 83C using the same OC.

5.2 GHZ Got!

Ratios (1/2/3/4+) 55/54/53/52
    VCore 1.45 Static with LLC Level 4
    AVX Offset 3

Seems to be stable in a 15 Minutes Rogbench. Will run overnight too but first time to genocide some xenos.

Update

Spoiler:

Should I go full balls to the wall and re-TIM the Titan X next?
    Last edited by Aea; December 6 2017 at 01:54:51 AM.

Then you hope it boots.
    Ooh. Ok. I've heard of this. I figured it was hype for people who like to tinker, but probably doesn't actually improve things at all. At least on higher end chipsets I'd figure Intel uses decent dirt.

Or.. what Daneel said.

Then again, if making it run a little cooler only gives it a longer life, intel is actually incentivised not to use a good paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

>does hardcore overlocks
    >plays civ 5 on what could do 10 crysis windows at once
    idk

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    >does hardcore overlocks
    >plays civ 5 on what could do 10 crysis windows at once
    idk
    You'd be surprised just how much it makes these games faster.