hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Decoding an analogue audio cable label

Decoding an analogue audio cable label

I was looking to connect a stereo RCA output device to some powered speakers that have a 3.5mm input. I found I've a cable that looks physically viable, but it's got 1 Yellow (typically for video, not stereo), 1 White RCA connectors, and a 3.5mm TRS connector at the other end (with what appears to be a choke before it). The whole length appears to be 2 wires individually insulated and stuck just where the two cross-sections touch, almost all the way along & with a block to avoid the split growing.

So, is it viable and just an oddball yellow instead of red audio connector, or going to risk blowing something if connected to said powered speakers?

Cable markings are as follows: "TTL® E193793 " some backwards R merged with a U " AWM 2562 80°C 300V 28AWG Total Technologies Limited®".

So far it seems that:
    "80°C 300V" is about the physical operating limits;
    2562 is the cross-section construction (being a copper core, shielded before outer insulation), but I'm not 100% on this;
    28AWG is probably a reference to American wire gauge, and either about the dimension of a wire inside the insulation (because it sure is fatter than 0.321mm diameter Outer Dimention), or the equiv resistance/metre.
    E193793 probably isn't the product model code, because it doesn't look like this one.

Edit: hold up, it's a 2.5mm TRS end, won't directly fit into the speakers jack anyway.
    I think I got this cable from a very old graphics card box, possibly a sound card.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 1 2017 at 03:24:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

You won't blow anything, and the colors being slightly off is usually just a quirk of the manufacturer though it would in my mind raise questions about it's intended use.

The right cable is only about $3-5 anyroad, like this

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ug.html?sts=pi

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Ass ass ass.

Yeah I already ordered a female 3.5mm to male RCAs adaptor for £2, free shipping. As I have several 3.5mm male-male cables of length.

Just wasn't sure if video would be designed for particularly low or high (relative) voltage, and thus something different about the connector or wire's tolerances vs dumb mono audio per wire.

In RCA cables, the cables are all identical anyway; you could use white or red to transmit the video just fine; Ive done it back in the day with a DVD player when I couldnt find the Video+Stereo cable so just used two stereo cables.

From what you're describing though, it sounds a lot like a cable I have laying around that was originally for an old camcorder; the miniplug went into the camcorder and the video + left channel audio went goes to a TV or whatever.

Could well have been, this was from the old collection, SCART cables and all manner of things, planning to get some archaic LP player hooked up for relatives.
    Spin speeds, wobbly rotation, dust on the needle, balancing the arm, taking up over a foot of space, etc... all praise to DRM-free downloads!
    Though at least discs don't need rewinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Could well have been, this was from the old collection, SCART cables and all manner of things, planning to get some archaic LP player hooked up for relatives.
    Spin speeds, wobbly rotation, dust on the needle, balancing the arm, taking up over a foot of space, etc... all praise to DRM-free downloads!
    Though at least discs don't need rewinding.
    The best way to consume music.

RCA ended cables are fine to interchange. as mentioned. They are also cheap enough that that it helps to have a few handy connector cables in a kit to go from 1/4" to 3.5 RCA to 3.5, etc.
    meh