hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1724252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: ~Just game company things~ (Corporate malfeasance thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I never wanted steam. I was happy going to the store and browsing their games, picking one, taking it home and installing it.. Then one day a game tricked me and forced me to install steam to play it.. I didn't want to but I had no choice, I was being held captive.

For 10+ years I begrudgingly used steam. It's sales tempted me until I had games in my library I had never even installed let alone played. I had been tricked and swindled. My beloved game stores were all a wasteland of garbage and I had nowhere else to turn.

Then Origen came along and I resisted. I will not go down this path again. I isolated myself while my friends played battlefield. I could not do this again. Until Apex. I stumbled. It's free I told myself. I know im just fooling myself.

Never Epic store.

Fuck me some of you lot are goddamn weirdos.
    Why exactly?

Because basically the very same story happened to me. And to name (and perhaps shame) the game that had this "Steam" thing and forced me onto it: Civ IV.

Currently I've got the following stores*) installed:

- Steam
    - uPlay: after buying a game from Steam that required uPlay. Not using it for anything else than launching that game
    - Origin: I loved DA:O, skipped DA2, but became weak for DA:I, bent over and bought it on Origin. And I regret it, as DA:I wasn't fun. That's it, not going to buy there anything
    - GOG: The only real store I buy from besides Steam, I willingly installed their store client, as I find it more comfortable than their web version. But GOG even gives me the choice to go without a local install

The point is: I don't need and don't want more stores. I try to avoid Ubisoft games, because they forced a store/launcher onto me. And I don't envision myself to buy something from the Origin store in the future. So those forcefed stores in my case caused the opposite of what the publisher intended, I guess.

*) there might be others, hidden in game launchers that I'm not aware of
    Because owning the distribution channel equals ~30% more revenue from digital retail.

Lana's post is a bit different from how I felt. I kinda embraced Steam because holy shit look at all these discounted games. 400 titles in my library later I realised it's literally having a store inside your house, which is bad for a number of reasons especially if you sometimes tend to impulse buy. It's why I've come to hate Amazon.

Going shopping in itself has kinda lost its magic. I remember going to game stores and browsing endlessly and then emerging from it with a couple titles that I would then play for weeks on end. The emotion of tearing open the seals and carefully browsing the game manuals and so on. Now it's buy -> install (or not) -> forget about it.

Coupled with having now a lot of "stores" installed, it's like having your own shopping mall in your PC. Popups with offers, the continued temptation to buy stuff one click away because "hey that looks nice, my friends play it, it's also cheapo" - just nope.

I have game memorabilia from Collector's Edition boxsets (Starcraft 2, Diablo II, Witcher 3, World of Warcraft) that I like a lot and bring back memories. They're physical items that you can touch and feel and incorporate in your daily life. "Collector's Edition" became "Digital Deluxe Edition" and nothing physical remains after the game falls out of grace. Maybe I am just growing old, but every time I come across the USB sticks that light up when plugged (Raynor's dog tag from SC2 Wings of Liberty or the Soulstone from Diablo II), feels happen and is gud. Yes, I sometimes play the Transistor Soundtrack and if also offers feels, but it's different. Not to mention being unable to place extra digital content on a shelf to glaze your eyes over once in a while is also unsatisfying.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Physical stores fucking sucked.

I refuse to accept that a world where I have to rely on the twats ordering games for the store to be my gateway to shit I want to play anymore. I don't want to depend on the good graces and radiant whims of the local games store to decide what I cna buy and what I can't.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar

I refuse to accept that a world where I have to rely on the twats ordering games for the store to be my gateway to shit I want to play anymore. I don't want to depend on the good graces and radiant whims of the local games store to decide what I cna buy and what I can't.
    At my local games store the staff would unpack the box the game came in and let you try it on one of their local computers before buying it. It was great. Also games came with 400p manuals. Often with novels with a backstory for fictional games, or large excerpts from history if it was a game based on that. Or with technical details if it was a simulator or similar. It was really cool to have in order to pass the time between the long loading times.

Back in the day when your games library was a physical thing filling up a section of your bookcase.

epic launcher may or may not datamine steam install

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcg...m-data-reddit/

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post

At my local games store the staff would unpack the box the game came in and let you try it on one of their local computers before buying it. It was great. Also games came with 400p manuals. Often with novels with a backstory for fictional games, or large excerpts from history if it was a game based on that. Or with technical details if it was a simulator or similar. It was really cool to have in order to pass the time between the long loading times.

Back in the day when your games library was a physical thing filling up a section of your bookcase.
    Yeah I have fond memories of certain manuals. Imo it doesn't at all outweigh the convenience tho.

For me the PC store died along with the big box releases. I bought games physically after that, but I eventually tossed all the the ones in DVD cases and just re-bought the ones I liked on GOG.

All I want is a merged friend list. The bloated 'install/run/store' can be begrudgingly passed over, but having to run all 3 of the fucking things so you can see when your mates are playing something you may want to join with, or just chat and say hi is bollocks as they probably all use the same XMPP protocol for their chat.

Feels like we are moving backwards from that goal at an alarming rate.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    All I want is a merged friend list. The bloated 'install/run/store' can be begrudgingly passed over, but having to run all 3 of the fucking things so you can see when your mates are playing something you may want to join with, or just chat and say hi is bollocks as they probably all use the same XMPP protocol for their chat.

dis cord

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post

dis cord
    This.

The same thing is going to happen/happening to video streaming. Everyone who makes content also wants to own the retail channel.
    meh

dis cord
    obligatory:
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I never wanted steam. I was happy going to the store and browsing their games, picking one, taking it home and installing it.. Then one day a game tricked me and forced me to install steam to play it.. I didn't want to but I had no choice, I was being held captive.

For 10+ years I begrudgingly used steam. It's sales tempted me until I had games in my library I had never even installed let alone played. I had been tricked and swindled. My beloved game stores were all a wasteland of garbage and I had nowhere else to turn.

Then Origen came along and I resisted. I will not go down this path again. I isolated myself while my friends played battlefield. I could not do this again. Until Apex. I stumbled. It's free I told myself. I know im just fooling myself.

Never Epic store.

Fuck me some of you lot are goddamn weirdos.
    Why exactly?

Because basically the very same story happened to me. And to name (and perhaps shame) the game that had this "Steam" thing and forced me onto it: Civ IV.

Currently I've got the following stores*) installed:

- Steam
    - uPlay: after buying a game from Steam that required uPlay. Not using it for anything else than launching that game
    - Origin: I loved DA:O, skipped DA2, but became weak for DA:I, bent over and bought it on Origin. And I regret it, as DA:I wasn't fun. That's it, not going to buy there anything
    - GOG: The only real store I buy from besides Steam, I willingly installed their store client, as I find it more comfortable than their web version. But GOG even gives me the choice to go without a local install

The point is: I don't need and don't want more stores. I try to avoid Ubisoft games, because they forced a store/launcher onto me. And I don't envision myself to buy something from the Origin store in the future. So those forcefed stores in my case caused the opposite of what the publisher intended, I guess.

*) there might be others, hidden in game launchers that I'm not aware of
    Because owning the distribution channel equals ~30% more revenue from digital retail.
    I'm very well aware of that, but what has that to do with us being weirdos?

I forgot to mention another very good reason for avoiding too many stores: the more you spread your (financial) information around, the more likely it will leak.

dis cord
    obligatory:
    Except discord works perfectly fine for gathering all the nerds in one area and connects to everything.

So... uh?

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.jpg

Nerds

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    anything soviet is of evil

Discord also tried to be a store..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Yes, and? It's far from its primary function.

One could argue the epic game store has the same issue..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

One could argue the epic game store has the same issue..
    But discord's store is optional. You're already going to be using it anyway, might as well buy your games and launch them through it. Thats not their motivation, but it remains true nonetheless.

They've done pushing you to use their platform to make them more money in a way that adds value for you, not reduces value and adds work. Thats why its outperforming all the shitty publisher-owned store platforms everyone hates.
    XBox app had the chance to do the same. Right now, its doing terribly at it.

Similarly, Steam is a sales platform, but they've sat there and added value in a bunch of ways (steam workshop, anyone?), which is why its a lot less hated than it's competition.

In other news, Epic's store is spying on you, while it actually isn't, says Epic's VP of Engineering Daniel Vogel:
    Vogel went on to offer explanations for some other suspicious-looking Epic Games Store app activity. A "tracking.js" file, for instance, is used to track revenue-sharing statistics for Epic's Support-a-Creator program, he wrote. Vogel also pointed to the open source code behind features like the anonymized hardware survey, the Unreal Editor, and the Chromium-based launcher UI, which he said cause most of what the original post identifies as "sketchy" app activity.
    Oh - and he added that although they're totally not spying on you, they will actually stop spying on you:
    Vogel does admit, though, that "the launcher makes an encrypted local copy of your localconfig.vdf Steam file" automatically and without explicit user permission. However, he writes, that hashed file is only sent to Epic if you choose to import your Steam friends to the Epic Game Store in order to find potential matches with others that have opted in.
    I know: lots of the "service <xyz> is spying on you!oneleven!" outbursts on the internet stem from innocent activities like gathering hardware information (Steam) or options the user either picked or didn't disable during install (e.g. "search your HD for games to import them into your library?"). And just because people see certain processes listed in the task manager and/or traversing folders, but can't form an educated opinion on what those are for, doesn't mean there's something fishy going on. But poking around in a competitor's installation location and tempering with files there is always a doubtful undertaking, regardless of the purpose.