hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 84855565758
Results 1,141 to 1,154 of 1154

Thread: ~Just game company things~ (Corporate malfeasance thread)

Only works if they have a product that sticks out in the mediocre sludge of indie releases. I remember some guy getting upset because his platformer game was not getting much sales or exposure. Dime a dozen, friend

Squad is the most impressive indie title I've seen imo. Bunch of PR devs got together, founded a studio, did a kickstarter, and then made this huge, almost AAA-level MP shooter within 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Only works if they have a product that sticks out in the mediocre sludge of indie releases. I remember some guy getting upset because his platformer game was not getting much sales or exposure. Dime a dozen, friend

Squad is the most impressive indie title I've seen imo. Bunch of PR devs got together, founded a studio, did a kickstarter, and then made this huge, almost AAA-level MP shooter within 4 years
    There is a lot more to it than that, and squad is not particularly amazingly out there its just more present in your particular circles.

As for a guy I recall fitting your description, the crucial point was a big part in indie success is discoverability and the stores themselves, i.e. on the PS4 you can get absolutely fucked cause the store is awful at showing them or supporting them, while sth like the Switch does it much better. That plus it catching on with a popular streamer or two to get it out there.

Plenty absolutely great games get overlooked for a long time.

I agree though that Indies cant really be compared to the AAA titles, it's a different magnitude of requirements to be profitable. Even what I mentioned earlier, an indie could find "breaking even" and thus being able to continue making games as a success, while a corporation will see that as a complete failure.
    Last edited by Isyel; November 15 2020 at 06:19:27 PM.

The crucial point in indie success is actually making a good game.

The ones we all play are the exception to indies as a rule. They've got compelling gameplay, or an original premise, well crafted by talented people, etc. I would put platformer man in the Not Compelling category, sorry.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Switch store is absolutely terrible at pushing lesser known games though, it's completely swamped with (cheap) shit.

I don't think that any game store particular excels at promoting indie games. There's just too many of them. I think it's Twitch and YT that makes an indie game a hit. And that's probably where a indie (studio) might want to put all their marketing efforts into. SPread as many keys/demos as possible.

Looking at the indie games I own, e.g. Rimworld, Prison Architect, Subnautica, Slay the Spire etc., I exclusively discovered them through Let's Play videos.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Well something like Steam at least makes an effort and somewhat succeeds if the game in question manages to garner that initial burst of interest through other media it needs to get the algorithms to push it up. Switch store is just endless pages of tripe to find something interesting on page 20 that should have been on page 2 at worst.

Steam does a decent job. I know you'll all hate me for this, but Stadia has done a great job of signing decent Indies for their "free games every month" and I feel are doing a good job of promoting smaller titles that way.

As mewninn points out, you still need a good game for anything else to be relevant.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Steam does a decent job. I know you'll all hate me for this, but Stadia has done a great job of signing decent Indies for their "free games every month" and I feel are doing a good job of promoting smaller titles that way.

As mewninn points out, you still need a good game for anything else to be relevant.
    For the amount of good games that get overlooked I find this kinda hilarious. You are of course correct at a most basic level, but "good game" is a very loose term.

But yeah Overspark is correct, Steam at least tries. The Game pass is also pretty solid for this. The PS4 store is the absolute worst for this, and you might be right, so is the Switch. This store thing I only brought up because of the "I remember some guy getting upset because his platformer game was not getting much sales or exposure. Dime a dozen, friend" thing brought up earlier really since it was a big discussion surrounding it.

I still remember the fun fact of some indie devs trying to get their game discounted on the PS4 to promote it (along with other platforms) and Sony denied them because "too busy and don't really have a system for that" which is hilariously bad.
    Last edited by Isyel; November 16 2020 at 05:22:58 PM.

People get their hit of Marvel twice a year in theaters. This is only appealing to the super-fans who must consoom

Even Star Wars fatigue has set in. How many of those spinoffs have been cancelled now?
    This pretty much. MCU was over for most people with Endgame. Spiderman (Into the Spiderverse moreso then the live action stuff) was the only interesting thing still going on.

I really dont get the shit timing, maybe if they had delayed (and polished) until the Disney+ shows hit, they could have made something of it.

Consumers are retarded, but not so retarded that they dont see when they are getting fleeced after the third time.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    It's hilarious that anybody ever thought this game would be successful by any metric. Anybody over the age of 18 who bought it should be put on a list and made eligible for disability payments.
    People get their hit of Marvel twice a year in theaters. This is only appealing to the super-fans who must consoom

Even Star Wars fatigue has set in. How many of those spinoffs have been cancelled now?
    Mandalorian is absolutely amazing tho.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    It's hilarious that anybody ever thought this game would be successful by any metric. Anybody over the age of 18 who bought it should be put on a list and made eligible for disability payments.

Mandalorian is absolutely amazing tho.
    star wars spinoff makes sense if it's a show. You take your time exploring the world

If Mando was a movie, they'd try to shove all this crap in there to make it a bad movie in service of the super fans who want more backstory and lore

like they did with han solo

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Spoken to a lowest paygrade facebook account maintaner, that has no say in anything. You showed them, hero of the internet, good for you.

Meanwhile billions from fifa lootboxes keep rolling in because financially disadvantaged need to have Messi or Ronaldo in their lineup (in this years release muahahahaha), because that's the best what they think they can accomplish with their lives atm.