hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19596667686970 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1381

Thread: ~Just game company things~ (Corporate malfeasance thread)

The whole point of NFTs is to create scarcity and therefore value with metaverse assets. You can't monetise assets in a digital social environment where you can copy and paste everything.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    You have no idea how many temptations I'm resisting now.
    pray tell
    ~russian military performance~

It's not the thread for that.
    orly

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    The NFT thing is dumb, but otherwise SE focusing on their core IP doesn't seem like a bad idea right now.
    I don't think you understand. Square Enix sold most of their IP in the process, meaning Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex, Thief - total of 50 franchises. What is Square Enix's "core IP"? Life is Strange? LOL.

They sold Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex and Thief for $300m. It's completely mind-boggling.

Edit: they have Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy and FF XIV. Big woop.
    Yeah they kept the IP that makes money no matter what big surprise
    ... and want to turn those into NFanTasyland ... let's see how that turns out.
    no they are not

YoshiP: “Metaverse and NFTs are completely different things, and we won’t include NFTs in FFXIV”

https://www.dualshockers.com/yoship-...nts-explained/
    Perhaps not for FF, but still.

Call me naive, I think the company's CEO has more to say about a company than the producer of a game of that company.
    Read up on yoshi p, good dude
    Which just reconfirmed my statement that he's the producer (and apparent "savior") of FF. A very important role for a very important IP, I get that. But to reiterate: he's not the CEO and SE has other IPs besides FF. So while FF may very well be spared from undergoing NFTarization, other games of SE might not.

[Deleted]

DP, forum acting up again.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    The NFT thing is dumb, but otherwise SE focusing on their core IP doesn't seem like a bad idea right now.
    I don't think you understand. Square Enix sold most of their IP in the process, meaning Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex, Thief - total of 50 franchises. What is Square Enix's "core IP"? Life is Strange? LOL.

They sold Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex and Thief for $300m. It's completely mind-boggling.

Edit: they have Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy and FF XIV. Big woop.
    Yeah they kept the IP that makes money no matter what big surprise
    ... and want to turn those into NFanTasyland ... let's see how that turns out.
    no they are not

YoshiP: “Metaverse and NFTs are completely different things, and we won’t include NFTs in FFXIV”

https://www.dualshockers.com/yoship-...nts-explained/
    Perhaps not for FF, but still.

Call me naive, I think the company's CEO has more to say about a company than the producer of a game of that company.
    Read up on yoshi p, good dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

The Consumer agencies in both Norway and Sweden are now being asked to look at loot boxes.
    (Belgium and Netherlands are the only countries so far in Europe to have banned them)
    Further, Sweden is also looking at removing in game currencies, that masks the true costs purchases.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Netherlands suffered a bit of a set-back recently wrt loot boxes. They aren't banned specifically, but the gambling commission argued that existing laws were broad enough to be applicable to almost all lootboxes. However, EA has now won a lawsuit about the lootboxes in FIFA, as the gambling commission had previously argued that their only function was gambling and a judge has now ruled that most of the game isn't about gambling (and a couple of other reasons), so the law was applied too broadly.

AFAIK game companies who previously didn't sell their shit in NL haven't suddenly started to do so now, but we'll see how this is going to play out.

Seems like this is a bigger push from EU against Loot Boxes.
    Cannot get enough support!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...st-loot-boxes/
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    After not getting Lost Ark in NL we're now also not getting Diablo Immortal due to loot boxes. Oh no!
    anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

After not getting Lost Ark in NL we're now also not getting Diablo Immortal due to loot boxes. Oh no!
    anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar

Oh, the horror!

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why game developers couldn't care less about all the bad press they receive:

Diablo Immortal is bringing in over $1 million a day in microtransactions

Using data from mobile analysis firm Appmagic, MobileGamer.biz estimates that the iOS and Android versions of the game brought in $49 million in earnings from just over 10 million mobile downloads in the versions' first 30 days of availability.

Those estimates, based on public charts provided by the mobile platforms, don't include the PC version of the game and, thus, may be underselling the scale of its financial success. With PC players included, Blizzard announced that Diablo Immortal hit 10 million installs after just over a week, well ahead of the mobile download pace estimated by Appmagic.

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why game developers couldn't care less about all the bad press they receive:

Diablo Immortal is bringing in over $1 million a day in microtransactions

Using data from mobile analysis firm Appmagic, MobileGamer.biz estimates that the iOS and Android versions of the game brought in $49 million in earnings from just over 10 million mobile downloads in the versions' first 30 days of availability.

Those estimates, based on public charts provided by the mobile platforms, don't include the PC version of the game and, thus, may be underselling the scale of its financial success. With PC players included, Blizzard announced that Diablo Immortal hit 10 million installs after just over a week, well ahead of the mobile download pace estimated by Appmagic.
    I'd attribute that more to the (by now) very well researched and understood topic of microtransactions and how to influence the human mind to spend the maximum amount of money.

That isn't too much considering it is aimed to the asian market that is addicted to mobile games and micro transactions.

You don't have to play Vidya. Touch grass
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    That isn't too much considering it is aimed to the asian market that is addicted to mobile games and micro transactions.
    Surprisingly little, when we consider mobile market including gacha games as a whole. Here's something that puts that number into perspective:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...g_mobile_games

Even if they can keep it at level for next few years that doesn't even put them in the top 20-30.

Genshin Impact earned $3,567,000,000 in 1.5 year, so $3,567,000,000/547,5 = 6.5m USD per day. It's 1/6th. It's all just posturing too keep shareholders that have little to no idea about market they invest in.
    Last edited by rufuske; August 2 2022 at 10:02:28 PM.

Another round of acquisitions by Embracer (the ones that bought the Square-Enix stuff).

- Embracer Group acquires Middle-earth Enterprises, Limited Run and Singtrix via new division, Freemode
    - Tripwire Interactive and Tuxedo Labs acquired via subsidiary Saber Interactive
    - Embracer has done an additional acquisition, that remains unannounced
    - Aggregated upfront purchase price reaches $576 million

Among the purchases, Embracer entered an agreement to acquire Middle-earth Enterprises, a division of The Saul Zaentz Company which has owned the IP rights to the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit for over 50 years. Embracer said that the acquisition may also include "matching rights in other Middle-earth-related literary works authorised by the Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins, which have yet to be explored."
    Ars Technica mentions that
    No production plans have been set for new films just yet; rather, Embracer says in a press release that it wants to "explore additional movies based on iconic characters such as Gandalf, Aragorn, Gollum, Galadriel, Eowyn, and other characters from the literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien."

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Would you like to start a thread about the amazing incompetence and corruption in the gardening industry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Would you like to start a thread about the amazing incompetence and corruption in the gardening industry?
    It would only turn into doomer posting about inhumane agricultural intellectual property rights practices