hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 115158596061626364 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1273

Thread: ~Just game company things~ (Corporate malfeasance thread)

Wish i could rep cull more.

Also never change, hilarious internet nerd military fetishization.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    You don't need to tell me that people who forget history are doomed to repeat it. I have a fucking masters degree in history.

But as a teacher you have several massive constraint ls on what you can do. The biggest of those is time. We have one lesson per week to teach history. Sure we start in fifth grade and end in grade ten for the chronological progress, but that still isn't a whole lot. 36 lessons per year at the most* over six years to cover roughly five thousand years of German/human history.

Due to school events, class trips, holidays etc the actual number can be a lot lower, and you need to write tests as well which account for a few lessons each year as well. 20 lessons per year are possible, especially in the higher classes. You may only get ten lessons to do WWII, including the tests.

Tapapapatalk
    You could have explained without explaining you have a master's degree in history. I did not question your competency at all or at any point during the discussion. Time constraints is not something I thought about and one history hour per week seems woefully inappropriate, but that is in no way, shape or form your fault (not what I was actually going for in my post, btw).

@Isyel - your thinking process is blowing my mind. Amazing effort, mate, keep it up.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    You don't need to tell me that people who forget history are doomed to repeat it. I have a fucking masters degree in history.

But as a teacher you have several massive constraint ls on what you can do. The biggest of those is time. We have one lesson per week to teach history. Sure we start in fifth grade and end in grade ten for the chronological progress, but that still isn't a whole lot. 36 lessons per year at the most* over six years to cover roughly five thousand years of German/human history.

Due to school events, class trips, holidays etc the actual number can be a lot lower, and you need to write tests as well which account for a few lessons each year as well. 20 lessons per year are possible, especially in the higher classes. You may only get ten lessons to do WWII, including the tests.

Tapapapatalk
    You could have explained without explaining you have a master's degree in history. I did not question your competency at all or at any point during the discussion. Time constraints is not something I thought about and one history hour per week seems woefully inappropriate, but that is in no way, shape or form your fault (not what I was actually going for in my post, btw).

@Isyel - your thinking process is blowing my mind. Amazing effort, mate, keep it up.
    Well I was a bit surprised why you would explain that to me. And grumpy as I just got up. Sorry.

Our students in grade 10 have 15 different subjects: German (4), Maths (4), English (3), Politicial Science (1), History (1), Geography (1), Ethics/Religion (1), business/labor/shop class (2), Physics (2), Chemistry (2), Music (1), Art (1), PE (3), Elective 1(3), Elective 2(2), Homeroom (2, lesson with their classroom teachers, organizational, administrative matters, exam prep etc, not graded). Elective 1 can be a second foreign language, sports or more shop classes. Elective 2 can be shop classes, media, in depth history or science classes, depending on preferences. Some students have one day for internships, they have one period less of PE and the internship accounts for their grade in elective 2 and business/labor/shop class.

We forgo real in depth stuff in 'minor' subjects for a wider range of general knowledge. And with ethics, politics and geography alongside history you do give students a wider view of the world. And every subject teaches how to tackle issues obviously.

EDIT: whenever students ask me, why they need to learn a, I give them the reason how it fits into the curriculum and if they still don't care, it teaches them to suck it up and get shit done anyway.
    Last edited by Joe Appleby; February 28 2021 at 01:02:38 PM.
    nevar forget

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I feel history should be presented and taught as completely as possible
    Wargames aren't history. And I don't think they'll teach you much that transfers to the rest of your life that you couldn't already pick up somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Wargames aren't history.
    And thus we are doomed to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Wargames aren't history.
    And thus we are doomed to repeat it.

War games. War games never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    You are right but only because no one will be buying it regardless.
    Likely only to be bought by idiots who love their HURR USA propaganda no matter how shit or not tbh.

In other news, it's a whole ass thread but this sums it up:

The follow-up and fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Teachers don't teach strategy and tactics in depth because it has pretty much zero impact on the students' lives. If it has, they will be taught such things by the military. Another reason is that it's needless detailed things that have no impact on the understanding of the war's impact on today's world. Things like the Kommissarbefehl are taught, as are atrocities to civilians, how Germany's unrestricted U-Boat warfare was partially responsible for the US joining WWI, how WWI shellshock was the first step to acknowledging that things like PTSD exist etc. These things have an impact on understanding how the war ended and how the war impacted the post-war period. That is true for any way btw.

Politics and social changes are important. Tactics aren't. You know, amateurs study tactics, experts study logistics.
    I don't want them to teach military tactics or strategies, but "just" the war itself. Maybe it has changed meanwhile, but except the very basics, e.g. the war started 1939 by us invading Poland and such trivial facts, everything I know about the actual war itself I learned afterwards. Like who was allied with us except Italy (as that was taught as part of the facist movement). What, Finland fought a seperate war against the Soviet Union during WW2?

Even such historically important events like e.g. Stalingrad, the siege of Leningrad, the D-day, Pearl Harbor etc. weren't mentioned. The war in the pacific? Didn't exist at all.

The largest war in mankind's history so far, with Germany being a key part of it, was mainly omitted in my history classes. We spent more history lessons on how and where the Roman Empire expanded than on our own history. If that has changed meanwhile: good!
    TBH your history lessons were either shit or you were asleep during them.
    None of the above. Thankfully my teachers overall were good and sometimes even entertaining in the way they presented the lessons. But perhaps a quick reminder that my history lessons date back to the early 1980s and I grew up in the only German state (Rhineland-Palatine) which up until then always had been ruled by the CDU*), when even Bavaria had a SPD goverment. So that may have been also contributed to it.

So it seems the curriculum has changed meanwhile. Good to hear.

*) Scharping, heading the first SPD-lead goverment, became prime minister after I finished school.

tl;dr: if you ain't ready to do research and learn things by yourself outside of the curriculum, you really can't blame the schools for not teaching you something completely. There's only so much total human history a teacher can teach you in 2 45-minute classes per week.

frankly, with the amount of history available on the internet today, it's really one own's fault for not knowing it. I had to read encyclopedias and shit from libraries and walk 10 miles uphill there and back through artillery barrages when I wanted to know more about history when I was a whippersnapper
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    tl;dr: if you ain't ready to do research and learn things by yourself outside of the curriculum, you really can't blame the schools for not teaching you something completely. There's only so much total human history a teacher can teach you in 2 45-minute classes per week.

frankly, with the amount of history available on the internet today, it's really one own's fault for not knowing it. I had to read encyclopedias and shit from libraries and walk 10 miles uphill there and back through artillery barrages when I wanted to know more about history when I was a whippersnapper
    And that’s how we get flat earthers

Do your own thinking sheep

Butthole
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    anything soviet is of evil

Teachers don't teach strategy and tactics in depth because it has pretty much zero impact on the students' lives. If it has, they will be taught such things by the military. Another reason is that it's needless detailed things that have no impact on the understanding of the war's impact on today's world. Things like the Kommissarbefehl are taught, as are atrocities to civilians, how Germany's unrestricted U-Boat warfare was partially responsible for the US joining WWI, how WWI shellshock was the first step to acknowledging that things like PTSD exist etc. These things have an impact on understanding how the war ended and how the war impacted the post-war period. That is true for any way btw.

Politics and social changes are important. Tactics aren't. You know, amateurs study tactics, experts study logistics.
    I don't want them to teach military tactics or strategies, but "just" the war itself. Maybe it has changed meanwhile, but except the very basics, e.g. the war started 1939 by us invading Poland and such trivial facts, everything I know about the actual war itself I learned afterwards. Like who was allied with us except Italy (as that was taught as part of the facist movement). What, Finland fought a seperate war against the Soviet Union during WW2?

Even such historically important events like e.g. Stalingrad, the siege of Leningrad, the D-day, Pearl Harbor etc. weren't mentioned. The war in the pacific? Didn't exist at all.

The largest war in mankind's history so far, with Germany being a key part of it, was mainly omitted in my history classes. We spent more history lessons on how and where the Roman Empire expanded than on our own history. If that has changed meanwhile: good!
    None of the above. Thankfully my teachers overall were good and sometimes even entertaining in the way they presented the lessons. But perhaps a quick reminder that my history lessons date back to the early 1980s and I grew up in the only German state (Rhineland-Palatine) which up until then always had been ruled by the CDU*), when even Bavaria had a SPD goverment. So that may have been also contributed to it.

*) Scharping, heading the first SPD-lead goverment, became prime minister after I finished school.
    Weird, because the date of the German Überfall auf Polen should have been hammered into your brain. And that has nothing to do with those lessons being in the 80s. Quite the opposite actually, rote learning of dates is something that only fell out of favor over the past few decades. But maybe your teachers were quite progressive.
    And I know that you are an old fart.
    nevar forget

>not learning history from history matters with special thanks to james bizonette
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

I'm pretty sure if Raid Shadow Legends sponsored my teachers they'd of been more pumped about teaching history too.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    >not learning history from forgotten weapons and inrange
    fyp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    I'm pretty sure if Raid Shadow Legends sponsored my teachers they'd of been more pumped about teaching history too.
    History Matters is funded through patreon m8

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

And that’s how we get flat earthers

Do your own thinking sheep

Butthole
    Yeah the post is absolute gold in relation to the usual links he posts.

More than 'learning history' one should learn how to vet their sources better first.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    So probably not as Nazi as you would like it to be.
    It's a positive change, why the hell would I be unhappy? Absolutely happy to be proved wrong and people turning out to be better than they seem.
    Last edited by Isyel; March 2 2021 at 08:33:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    >not learning history from forgotten weapons and C&Rsenal
    fyp
    I like Karl's content, but as far as historical content goes, C&Rsenal wins.

nevar forget

Isyel playing the big brain card hating on me again

It's super ineffective
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Weird, because the date of the German Überfall auf Polen should have been hammered into your brain. [...]
    As mentioned above, that was one of the few actual facts taught about the war. I admit that it helped that the 1st of September is also my mother's birthday. But it was left at that, i.e. the fabricated Polish assault on the radio station Gleiwitz didn't get much attention, although it's a common occurrence in human's history to fabricate war reasons and it could have been used as example for that. And talking about the assault on Poland, I learned about the Warsaw ghetto by the IMHO excellent TV series Ein Stück Himmel.