hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18586566676869 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1372

Thread: ~Just game company things~ (Corporate malfeasance thread)

Wait whaT?

Ubisoft outsourced the remake of Prince of Persia to India?

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Well, that's closer to Persia than Canada at least.

In other news, Square Enix sold its Western studios in an apparent attempt to fully join the NFT hype train.

In his New Year's letter of January 2022 the CEO wrote:
    Another term that gained quick currency in 2021 was “NFT” or “non-fungible token.” The advent of NFTs using blockchain technology significantly increased the liquidity of digital goods, enabling the trading of a variety of such goods at high prices and sparking conversations the world over. I see 2021 not only as “Metaverse: Year One,” but also as “NFTs: Year One” given that it was a year in which NFTs were met with a great deal of enthusiasm by a rapidly expanding user base. However, we do observe examples here and there of overheated trading in NFT-based digital goods with somewhat speculative overtones, regardless of the observed value of the content provided This, obviously, is not an ideal situation, but I expect to see an eventual right-sizing in digital goods deals as they become more commonplace among the general public, with the value of each available content corrected to their true estimated worth, and I look for them to become as familiar as dealings in physical goods.
    [...]
    Lastly is blockchain games. Be they single-player or online games, games have traditionally involved a unidirectional flow whereby creators such as ourselves provide a game to the consumers that play them. By contrast, blockchain games, which have emerged from their infancy and are at this very moment entering a growth phase, are built upon the premise of a token economy and therefore hold the potential to enable self-sustaining game growth. The driver that most enables such self-sustaining game growth is diversity, both in how people engage with interactive content like games, and in their motivations for doing so. Advances in token economies will likely add further momentum to this trend of diversification. I see the “play to earn” concept that has people so excited as a prime example of this.

The NFT thing is dumb, but otherwise SE focusing on their core IP doesn't seem like a bad idea right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    The NFT thing is dumb, but otherwise SE focusing on their core IP doesn't seem like a bad idea right now.
    I don't think you understand. Square Enix sold most of their IP in the process, meaning Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex, Thief - total of 50 franchises. What is Square Enix's "core IP"? Life is Strange? LOL.

They sold Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex and Thief for $300m. It's completely mind-boggling.

Edit: they have Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy and FF XIV. Big woop.
    Last edited by Cosmin; May 6 2022 at 05:36:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I don't think you understand. Square Enix sold most of their IP in the process, meaning Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex - total of 50 franchises. What is Square Enix's "core IP"? Borderlands? LOL.

They sold Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain and Deus Ex for $300m. It's completely mind-boggling.
    The Eidos games were not as profitable as the game lines made by Square Enix proper (i.e. the Japanese productions) and mobile games with all those sweet sweet microtransactions. I'd assume that Final Fantasy is their biggest IP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ix_video_games
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...x_mobile_games

Borderlands is Take-Two, not Square Enix.

Edit: Square Enix bought Eidos for about a hundred million dollars in 2009 after it almost went bankrupt a few years before that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square...os_Interactive
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; May 6 2022 at 05:46:54 PM.

What is Square Enix's "core IP"?
    Dragon Quest

Final Fantasy - XIV is (2nd? 3rd?) most popular subscription MMO, XV was their 2nd best selling main series title ever

Kingdom Hearts

A huge back catalog from the 90s that they're starting to go back to for sequels/remakes

a steady stream of decently successful original AA titles

the already mentioned mobile stuff

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I don't think you understand. Square Enix sold most of their IP in the process, meaning Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex - total of 50 franchises. What is Square Enix's "core IP"? Borderlands? LOL.

They sold Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain and Deus Ex for $300m. It's completely mind-boggling.
    The Eidos games were not as profitable as the game lines made by Square Enix proper (i.e. the Japanese productions) and mobile games with all those sweet sweet microtransactions. I'd assume that Final Fantasy is their biggest IP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ix_video_games
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...x_mobile_games

Borderlands is Take-Two, not Square Enix.

Edit: Square Enix bought Eidos for about a hundred million dollars in 2009 after it almost went bankrupt a few years before that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square...os_Interactive
    Yes indeed - I edited my post taking out Borderlands, dammit

My point is that beloved franchises that actually have great games in them were sold off to keep monetisation-heavy games in their courtyard and to join the NFT fail train. I suppose that's all for the better and hopefully the next Deus Ex won't have shitty microtransactions that have no place in an offline single player game.

Legacy of Kain, Thief
    To put it in perspective, the last Dragon Quest game sold more copies than those two franchises combined.

It's good that they're selling off IP they don't care about. Somebody else will hopefully give them the attention they deserve.

Dragon Quest has a significant presence on a lot more platforms than PC. Thief is a series of games that was born on PC and took advantage of all that was available there, including being pioneers in combining sound and lighting with gameplay. Legacy of Kain was an amazing series as well. Both the latter have incredible value as IPs if actually monetised correctly - read: make a fucking good game and sell it. But of course 2022 means that microtransactions should be rife otherwise shareholders revolt because where stonks.

What a world we live in.

Please stop banging on about profitability, it's about the inherent value of an IP rather than how many hats and other crap you can sell in a game and make billions off it

the latest thief and deus ex games ran the franchises into the ground. IP that isn't marketable anymore just isn't worth anything really.

I don't think you understand. Square Enix sold most of their IP in the process, meaning Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex, Thief - total of 50 franchises. What is Square Enix's "core IP"? Life is Strange? LOL.

They sold Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex and Thief for $300m. It's completely mind-boggling.

Yeah they kept the IP that makes money no matter what big surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post

... and want to turn those into NFanTasyland ... let's see how that turns out.

big publishers have the biggliest brains

You have no idea how many temptations I'm resisting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Probably a short count down to pachinko machines as a main output

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    pray tell

Probably a short count down to pachinko machines as a main output
    Apparently blizzard could not give fewer fucks about their "serious" IPs as they make candy crush :kekw:
    Last edited by RazoR; May 16 2022 at 04:26:13 AM.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!

no they are not

YoshiP: “Metaverse and NFTs are completely different things, and we won’t include NFTs in FFXIV”

https://www.dualshockers.com/yoship-...nts-explained/
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    pray tell
    ~russian military performance~

It's not the thread for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

no they are not

YoshiP: “Metaverse and NFTs are completely different things, and we won’t include NFTs in FFXIV”

https://www.dualshockers.com/yoship-...nts-explained/
    Perhaps not for FF, but still.

Call me naive, I think the company's CEO has more to say about a company than the producer of a game of that company.