hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2633343536

Thread: ~Just game company things~ (Corporate malfeasance thread)

I saw the GOG Galaxy 2.0 announcement when I checked my GOG account. I'm holding off until it's out, but the OSS nature of it makes me really hope for a better future. Depends on whether it will need the other clients fired up/installed or it will just centralise the platforms. If it's the latter, it is freaking amazing and CDPR will get my monies for games almost exclusively.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    AFAICT it needs the other clients installed but not running.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    [...] while they client with your data.
    * We don’t share any data with third parties.

* Once you have disconnected a platform from GOG GALAXY 2.0, we will remove all your imported data from our servers.
    Sounds as good as one can wish for from an online service these days. I know, I know, we can't verify that. But given GOG's/CDPR's track record so far, that doesn't sound like a blatant marketing stunt.
    Of course, removing your data doesn’t remove the results of the calculations they performed on that data, the trained neural networks and other machine learning artifacts. They’ve learned enough from your data to make it profitable.
    If GOG profits from it, I'm OK with that. You have a point there though, as it doesn't mentioned that this kind of derived data isn't shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    If that's true - that's huge.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    I don't see how it would work when the clients are actively used for DRM, barring some massive wizardry.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    [...] while they client with your data.
    * We don’t share any data with third parties.

* Once you have disconnected a platform from GOG GALAXY 2.0, we will remove all your imported data from our servers.
    Sounds as good as one can wish for from an online service these days. I know, I know, we can't verify that. But given GOG's/CDPR's track record so far, that doesn't sound like a blatant marketing stunt.
    Of course, removing your data doesn’t remove the results of the calculations they performed on that data, the trained neural networks and other machine learning artifacts. They’ve learned enough from your data to make it profitable.
    If GOG profits from it, I'm OK with that. You have a point there though, as it doesn't mentioned that this kind of derived data isn't shared.
    That’s the trick with most of these. I also like GOG/CDPR. I think they are one of the better companies involved in this space, but we need to be aware, and realistic, about how data products are created.
    meh

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    I don't see how it would work when the clients are actively used for DRM, barring some massive wizardry.
    I guess it'll start one anyway as soon as you start a game that uses it.

Microsoft under Phil Spencer actually being magnificent bastards on the PC, nice.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/05/...-to-pc-gaming/

Xbox Game Pass for PC will give players unlimited access to a curated library of over 100 high-quality PC games on Windows 10, from well-known PC game developers and publishers such as Bethesda, Deep Silver, Devolver Digital, Paradox Interactive, SEGA, and more. And just as we committed on the console, it is our intent to include new games from Xbox Game Studios in Xbox Game Pass for PC the same day as their global release, including titles from newly acquired studios like Obsidian and inXile. We’re working with over 75 developers and publishers to bring PC content to the service and we’ll ensure the library remains curated and full of great PC titles across a variety of genres, with new games added every month.
    With that in mind, our intent is to make our Xbox Game Studios PC games available in multiple stores, including our own Microsoft Store on Windows, at their launch. We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games.

In March, we announced that Halo: The Master Chief Collection will come to PC later this year, launching on Steam in addition to the Microsoft Store on Windows. We will continue to add to the more than 20 Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam, starting with Gears 5 and all Age of Empires I, II & III: Definitive Editions. We know millions of PC gamers trust Steam as a great source to buy PC games and we’ve heard the feedback that PC gamers would like choice. We also know that there are other stores on PC, and we are working to enable more choice in which store you can find our Xbox Game Studios titles in the future.

We want to bring players together to create a shared player community regardless of where they play, so it’s our intent that new Xbox Game Studios titles include features such as voice and text chat, LFG, friends lists and cross-play across PC and console. On Windows 10 you’ll find this functionality in the Xbox Game Bar, which we’ll continue to evolve and expand.
    we are excited to share that we will be enabling full support for native Win32 games to the Microsoft Store on Windows. This will unlock more options for developers and gamers alike, allowing for the customization and control they’ve come to expect from the open Windows gaming ecosystem.
    They're basically pulling an anti-Epic.

Yup. Interesting.

What’s going to happen to epic once Fortnite dies out?

Still no PC port of Fable 2, though

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Yup. Interesting.

What’s going to happen to epic once Fortnite dies out?
    They still have a very healthy game engine business.

Some smart folk even think they should spin it out of the game studio.
    meh

Hearing about recent unpopular changes to fornite, maybe it would be better off that way

Rofl, this has aged really well.

Rofl, this has aged really well.

"oh wait, no, that actually works really well, lets get in on that at exactly the moment to ruin ourselves"

Speaking of the above, paradox joining the xbox game pass in a big fashion it seems

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/e...e-pass-for-pc/

This should work out really well for their dlc based model. Get game for free, want more, and you get a permanent any time discount on it.

Im really beginning to hate paradox though. Have they ever released a game that isnt absolutely half arsed before a few DLCs are added?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Im really beginning to hate paradox though. Have they ever released a game that isnt absolutely half arsed before a few DLCs are added?
    Nope

It's in the nature of their type of game and their budget tbh.

Sure it's not ideal, but I don't see anyone making the type of game they do with the complexity they have with dlc included and release it without some sort of revenue along the way.

It could be a lot worse tbh.

It's in the nature of their type of game and their budget tbh.

Sure it's not ideal, but I don't see anyone making the type of game they do with the complexity they have with dlc included and release it without some sort of revenue along the way.

It could be a lot worse tbh.
    The whole "the host has all the DLC so you have them for this game" thing is pretty nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    The whole "the host has all the DLC so you have them for this game" thing is pretty nice too.
    Yeah that's a very good move.

The reality is, sadly, they make ridiculously huge and complex games that in the end are for a niche market. Have to make money some way, and they probably chose one of the least awful ways of doing it.

Also just realized this means Bloodlines 2 is likely to be on it. WOop.
    Last edited by Isyel; June 2 2019 at 09:39:42 AM.