hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25323334353637 LastLast

Thread: ~Just game company things~ (Corporate malfeasance thread)

All true. Gaming is bigger than ever, the industry is positively gigantic, so of course a business focused publication would and should talk about it.

As for my original point...

I should also remind you though that the Forbes website is basically "high brow" clickbait with the way they work so take anything on it with some massive bags of salt.

Forbes.com uses a "contributor model" in which a wide network of "contributors" writes and publishes articles directly on the website.[28] Contributors are paid based on traffic to their respective Forbes.com pages; the site has received contributions from over 2,500 individuals, and some contributors have earned over US$100,000, according to the company.[28] Forbes currently allows advertisers to publish blog posts on its website alongside regular editorial content through a program called BrandVoice, which accounts for more than 10 percent of its digital revenue.[29] Forbes.com also publishes subscription investment newsletters, and an online guide to web sites, Best of the Web. In July, 2018 Forbes deleted an article by a contributor who argued that libraries should be closed, and Amazon should open bookstores in their place.[30]
    They don't exactly have the highest standards for the shit published on it.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And related to the thread's title, an article from Forbes (no less) about Star Citizen:

Exclusive: The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million—But May Never Be Ready To Play

Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    This is not fraud—Roberts really is working on a game—but it is incompetence and mismanagement on a galactic scale.
    Old. Also happens regularly that the usual suspects have a go at star citizen when they want clicks, but they somehow rarely address any other shit in the industry. On top of it the article is chock full of complete bollocks. Classic scenes.
    I wouldn't consider Forbes to be one of the "usual suspects". I find it suprising enough that they (and their readers) know such a thing like "video games" exists, let alone run a (print) magazine story about it.
    m8.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I am very well aware of this, as I caught the gaming virus ~ 35 years ago, so you don't need to show me this. But I wasn't aware that conservative papers such as Forbes meanwhile also have caught up on that fact. For which Boltorano already had set me straight.

As for my original point...

I should also remind you though that the Forbes website is basically "high brow" clickbait with the way they work so take anything on it with some massive bags of salt.

Forbes.com uses a "contributor model" in which a wide network of "contributors" writes and publishes articles directly on the website.[28] Contributors are paid based on traffic to their respective Forbes.com pages; the site has received contributions from over 2,500 individuals, and some contributors have earned over US$100,000, according to the company.[28] Forbes currently allows advertisers to publish blog posts on its website alongside regular editorial content through a program called BrandVoice, which accounts for more than 10 percent of its digital revenue.[29] Forbes.com also publishes subscription investment newsletters, and an online guide to web sites, Best of the Web. In July, 2018 Forbes deleted an article by a contributor who argued that libraries should be closed, and Amazon should open bookstores in their place.[30]
    They don't exactly have the highest standards for the shit published on it.
    True that, that's why you look at the article, which tells you if it's by those "contributors" or actual Forbes employed journalists. And that article is from the latter:

Matt Perez
    Forbes Staff

Nathan Vardi
    Forbes Staff

And that article is from the latter:
    That's fine. There's still a lot of bollocks in it. All i meant to show is that they hardly have high standards since we were apparently discussing Forbes by the end of last page.
    Last edited by Isyel; May 23 2019 at 04:32:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    And the streaming / esports scene is also growing at a stunning rate, still quite far from traditional sports, but at the age group of teenagers-young adults it is comparable.
    Growth has slowed down (well, isn't accelerating as much) a bit since some segments of the industry have got a little crowded. It's easily still the fastest growing media industry but it is becoming a little bit more sensible.

I do wonder if it will start to run into problems at some point due to the comparatively low disposable income of the biggest demographic it caters to. A fair amount of the success for the more innovative parts has been due to heavy investment from venture capital subsidising the cost of a lot of gaming services.

edit: Forbes has a lot of trash in it written by trash writers. It's like a pro-capitalist version of the Grauniads guest columns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

I do wonder if it will start to run into problems at some point due to the comparatively low disposable income of the biggest demographic it caters to.
    m8. After 20 years in this industry, I can assure you this is not an issue most gamers make apparent. I mean, a multi thousand $currency PC is pretty much a gate to entry for a lot of this scene. A lot of work is being done in India and other parts of Asia to democratize gaming too. Do you have any idea how much people in the 3rd world spend of mobile games? I get the argument you are tryign to make, but I don't think you actually understand gaming's demographics

How much sports apparel do the working class buy?
    meh

The average f2p game can be run on a toaster. And it's even true for the successful comp games like CSGO/overwatch/fortnite. A studio is limiting their horizons if latest-gen setup is needed to access 144 hz

If anything AAA-quality multiplayer shooters are the ones who will be dying out. No, I don't need or want to see my face reflected in the scope of the sniper shitter who is about to kill me. I don't need much beyond an acceptable fidelity, and the cost in hardware/performance is irritating
    Last edited by mewninn; May 23 2019 at 04:49:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    The average f2p game can be run on a toaster. And it's even true for the successful comp games like CSGO/overwatch/fortnite. A studio is limiting their horizons if latest-gen setup is needed to access 144 hz

If anything AAA-quality multiplayer shooters are the ones who will be dying out. No, I don't need or want to see my face reflected in the scope of the sniper shitter who is about to kill me. I don't need much beyond an acceptable fidelity, and the cost in hardware/performance is irritating
    This why you can play fortnite on your phone. It’s still shitting money.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

This why you can play fortnite on your phone. It’s still shitting money.
    And why Minecraft is the top selling game of all time.

edit: Forbes has a lot of trash in it written by trash writers. It's like a pro-capitalist version of the Grauniads guest columns.
    But - is it accurate about roberts/star citizen or just clickbait character assassination ?
    Serious question.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    But - is it accurate about roberts/star citizen or just clickbait character assassination ?
    Serious question.
    Are the two mutually exclusive?

I've no doubt Roberts is a fucking weirdo, there's enough written about him elsewhere which provides ample evidence.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Are the two mutually exclusive?

I've no doubt Roberts is a fucking weirdo, there's enough written about him elsewhere which provides ample evidence.
    Yeah he is a weirdo and he's shit at managing expectations and companies.

Yet if i remember right they still make up a lot of bollocks about him and SC as if what's there is not already shitty enough.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

it seems we mostly agree that competition (for Steam) is a good thing, but the way Epic tackles it won't cut it. At least not in a way that consumers actually benefit from it in the long run. So, how else could a competitor do it. Let's have a look at our beloved 'lil CDPR and their store, gog.com along with their store app GOG GALAXY. It just so happens that they announced version 2.0. Which aims to do the following (taken from the above link, emphasis mine):

* GOG GALAXY 2.0 is an application, thanks to which you’ll be able to combine multiple libraries 1) into one and connect with your friends across all gaming platforms, consoles included. If your games and gaming buddies are scattered between different launchers and platforms, this is a solution for you! Keeping track of all achievements earned by you and your friends, hours played, and games owned across platforms has never been this easy. And the application is entirely free, all you need is a GOG account to use it. [...] GOG GALAXY 2.0 will show all your games from connected PC and console platforms… even if they are not currently installed.

1) In case its not clear what they mean by this: you'll be able to play/manage your e.g. Steam/Epic/Origin/Battle.NET games from there

* In GOG GALAXY 2.0 you’re adding games through official and community created integrations. By connecting platforms, the data about the games you own is automatically imported to the application. On top of that you will also be able to manually add single games that are not connected to any platform.

* We’re not in the business of [spying on] users’ data. GOG GALAXY 2.0 is only importing information from connected platforms – you always know what is imported through official integrations. Additionally we’ve made the community created integrations open-source, to ensure the transparency of imported data.

So one client to rule them all? Hell yeah, count me in!

They also plan to combine a couple of social features and stats tracking across different libraries, but that's nothing I'm interested in. Even tracking titles from consoles.

News came to me via:

Oh great so now we have a client to connect all the client to client while you client so you can client while they client with your data.

2019, ladies and gentlemen

Oh great so now we have a client to connect all the client to client while you client so you can client while they client with your data.

It was always pretty inevitable though. I remember having lan parties playing cod1 and unreal tournament when steam was fairly new and joking about needing a steam client for dedicated servers and only having client approved mods in the future etc.

It was always pretty inevitable though. I remember having lan parties playing cod1 and unreal tournament when steam was fairly new and joking about needing a steam client for dedicated servers and only having client approved mods in the future etc.
    You're not wrong. Still pretty funny though.

[...] while they client with your data.
    * We don’t share any data with third parties.

* Once you have disconnected a platform from GOG GALAXY 2.0, we will remove all your imported data from our servers.
    Sounds as good as one can wish for from an online service these days. I know, I know, we can't verify that. But given GOG's/CDPR's track record so far, that doesn't sound like a blatant marketing stunt.

Saying that and then not doing it in the EU sounds a lot like being the test case for those GDPR fines taking a company out of business, given they probably dont have those EA lawyers to hand to deflect in time.

* Once you have disconnected a platform from GOG GALAXY 2.0, we will remove all your imported data from our servers.
    Sounds as good as one can wish for from an online service these days. I know, I know, we can't verify that. But given GOG's/CDPR's track record so far, that doesn't sound like a blatant marketing stunt.
    Of course, removing your data doesn’t remove the results of the calculations they performed on that data, the trained neural networks and other machine learning artifacts. They’ve learned enough from your data to make it profitable.
    meh

Of course, removing your data doesn’t remove the results of the calculations they performed on that data, the trained neural networks and other machine learning artifacts. They’ve learned enough from your data to make it profitable.
    We aren't talking about Facebook here.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.