hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operation "No more layoffs"

Operation "No more layoffs"

So here's the deal: CCP CEO Hilimar Veigar Peturisson has, for the third time, tried to expand CCP in to another game and failed miserably. The end result is some really cool people in CCP were laid off. I think it's time to apply lots of pressure to get Hilimar to "resign" (read: be fired) from CCP.

The plan:
    Step 1: Identify who actually owns CCP:
    We have a 2015 filing of CCP's financials. It identifies the stock owners of CCP. The challenge here is two-fold: The filing is two years old (shares might have been sold.) and most of the companies that own non-trivial portions of CCP seem to be Icelandic. We would need to find someone who speaks Icelandic to call these companies and verify they still own parts of CCP, how much, and if not, who they sold their share to. We would also need contact info (emails and phone numbers) for step 4.

Step 2: It's time to Rage
    Get everyone to cancel their subscriptions. Make a Google docs form for people to post in to. The person would need to submit their characters name and am imgur link to a screenshot verifying they cancelled their subscription. Pull out a few classics like rioting in Jita, etc.

Step 3: Get media attention
    Lots of cancelled accounts and riots over the most recent layoffs is an easy news story to write. Media attention is bound to get stockholder attention.

Step 4: Tighten the screws
    Using the contact info for the stock holders we get all of the Eve players to call, email, write letters, etc. to the stock holders demanding Hilimar resign as CEO and be replaced. An overwhelming tide of calls and emails notifying them that the players who unsubbed are going to stay unsubbed until Hilimar is given to boot will hopefully get their attention. Another round of easy media stories.

Step 5: Keep up the pressure
    Email every day. Call every day. Stay unsubbed. The stock holders listen to money and annoyance. Not making as much money because of the unsubbed players plus having a slammed email inbox and a phone that won't stop ringing will hopefully get them to realize the easiest and best things to do is get Hilimar to resign.

Thoughts?

No.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Your plan seems to hinge on anyone in here still caring about the fate of eve or having active subscriptions.

Step one:
    Fuck off and die

Rioting in Jita? Oh man. I always got a chuckle out of those. I wish you luck, but I suggest that you simply unsub, leave a reason why and then move on. I believe that speaks louder than rioting in Jita and spamming emails and phone calls. I doubt stockholders will be upset over the layoffs. They might be the ones who put pressure on the CEO to do it. I don't really know. It's business. I read LeeLoo's Facebook thing and it sucks, but it's CCP. They operate differently than the norm. I can only imagine what it must be like to move up there and live and breath EVE 24/7 for years, only to have it ripped away from you in the form of layoffs.

I care about EVE, hope it does well, but nothing like I used to. I am very, very super casual player now. I used to have every ship bonus memorized, speed, HP, balance, who was who in the political landscape, wars going on, like really into it. Shit was exhausting and ultimately made as many enemies as friends. Essentially I don't invest enough time or feelings into EVE to go on this crusade you want us all to. Do everything you can to help express your opinion on the direction of the game, but do it in a healthy way. Of course trying to communicate that to CCP will be more difficult without any team in place to listen to the players... but again, the company will listen to the sound of wallets closing up. Honestly doubt they will give two fucks about emails and phone calls.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Your plan seems to hinge on anyone in here still caring about the fate of eve or having active subscriptions.
    I still play. However I've always felt that trying to get someone fired was a dick move.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

They're Icelandic, and not politicians even claiming to be beholded to voters. The only way the CEO's changing is if someone takes their 10-year-a-dev sword off of the office wall and runs him through with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

get a life nerd

Donor
    At this point anyone joining the company who is aware of CCP, or even just Glassdoor, should really know its well-reported history regards layoff cycles. That's not to say one shouldn't feel sorry for these people, but at the same time the only winning move is not to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post
    At this point anyone joining the company who is aware of CCP, or even just Glassdoor, should really know its well-reported history regards layoff cycles. That's not to say one shouldn't feel sorry for these people, but at the same time the only winning move is not to play.
    In the whole gaming industry there will never be a shortage of people desperate to be rockstar devs despite the shitty conditions and pay, and they are aware of that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    They're Icelandic, and not politicians even claiming to be beholded to voters. The only way the CEO's changing is if someone takes their 10-year-a-dev sword off of the office wall and runs him through with it.
    Ideally while on the roof of the building. During a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    No.

Anyone who cares enough about eve to take part in this is part of the captive audience, they have your money anyway.

The only thing that CCP should care about is expanding markets, because it's currently backed into a corner and the niche isn't providing shareholders with the fountain of wealth they want. As a public company, CCP can't view Eve as a priority. It has obligations to entities more important than the playerbase, even if the player base is also the main revenue stream.

Whinging about it won't help. lrn2capitalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

oh no they fired the people with the lowest possible skill set, CCP is doomed!

If they really need new community managers they can just snag some highschool kids who know facebook and reddit.
    That pity post from leelo is pathetic, anyone who bases their life around a job like that made some very bad choices.

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliventi View Post
    So here's the deal: CCP CEO Hilimar Veigar Peturisson has, for the third time, tried to expand CCP in to another game and failed miserably. The end result is some really cool people in CCP were laid off. I think it's time to apply lots of pressure to get Hilimar to "resign" (read: be fired) from CCP.

The plan:
    Step 1: Identify who actually owns CCP:
    We have a 2015 filing of CCP's financials. It identifies the stock owners of CCP. The challenge here is two-fold: The filing is two years old (shares might have been sold.) and most of the companies that own non-trivial portions of CCP seem to be Icelandic. We would need to find someone who speaks Icelandic to call these companies and verify they still own parts of CCP, how much, and if not, who they sold their share to. We would also need contact info (emails and phone numbers) for step 4.

Step 2: It's time to Rage
    Get everyone to cancel their subscriptions. Make a Google docs form for people to post in to. The person would need to submit their characters name and am imgur link to a screenshot verifying they cancelled their subscription. Pull out a few classics like rioting in Jita, etc.

Step 3: Get media attention
    Lots of cancelled accounts and riots over the most recent layoffs is an easy news story to write. Media attention is bound to get stockholder attention.

Step 4: Tighten the screws
    Using the contact info for the stock holders we get all of the Eve players to call, email, write letters, etc. to the stock holders demanding Hilimar resign as CEO and be replaced. An overwhelming tide of calls and emails notifying them that the players who unsubbed are going to stay unsubbed until Hilimar is given to boot will hopefully get their attention. Another round of easy media stories.

Step 5: Keep up the pressure
    Email every day. Call every day. Stay unsubbed. The stock holders listen to money and annoyance. Not making as much money because of the unsubbed players plus having a slammed email inbox and a phone that won't stop ringing will hopefully get them to realize the easiest and best things to do is get Hilimar to resign.

Thoughts?
    Kindly go fuck yourself with a curare tipped umbrella. Alternatively, get an education. Needless to say, this refers to something other than requirements for working at a fastfood dump.
    B type portfolio ftw.
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

Quote Originally Posted by Jack bubu View Post
    oh no they fired the people with the lowest possible skill set, CCP is doomed!

If they really need new community managers they can just snag some highschool kids who know facebook and reddit.
    That pity post from leelo is pathetic, anyone who bases their life around a job like that made some very bad choices.
    This too.

CCP had pretty terrible staff. Their marketing and PR was amateurish and worst of all lazy. I'm not necessarily blaming the employees, I don't see much evidence of CCP investing in their staff really.

The fact CCP have barely managed to launch a decent eve store with RL goods shows how utterly incompetent they are. Ferrari makes fuck all money on cars, their merchandise is more way more profitable. Eve could easily leverage a similar model. A bunch of nerds with disposable income and primary consumer interest? It basically sells itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Whaaaa Hilmar this, whaaaa my fav dev is gone, whaaaaa hilmar that, grrrrr hilmar . you should go join the retard brigade on reddit.

The leaving behind a job that pays 3x more, husband, family and band to go be a community manager for a videogame company in iceland bit almost made me full on facepalm in reallife. I too love eve and shit but like what the fuck.
    Last edited by Joshua Foiritain; November 3 2017 at 05:58:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Whaaaa Hilmar this, whaaaa my fav dev is gone, whaaaaa hilmar that, grrrrr hilmar . you should go join the retard brigade on reddit.

The leaving behind a job that pays 3x more, husband, family and band to go be a community manager for a videogame company in iceland bit almost made me full on facepalm in reallife. I too love eve and shit but like what the fuck.
    I thought LeeLoo was married to another CCP guy. Guess I missed that part on her facebook thing. Then again I was kinda busy with some other stuff at the time and might have skimmed over it. Reading your post with it all condensed does make me wonder why would she do something that drastic.

Well every foreigner working at CCP leaves behind family and friends and probably a better job/opportunities. The only strange thing there is the husband (no mention of kids) and well, something tells me it might not have been the most stable relationship.

Yeah, CCP Leeloo and CCP Falcon (Verone of VETO) were/are a thing iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.