hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation "No more layoffs"

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    No it’s because I banned him into the year of the fruitbat

Sent from my iPhtapa
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    Haven't touched or looked at the game in atleast 5 years now. Any point in downloading it other than to spin whatever ship I might have left?
    I mean you could and it would seem a bit fresh due to graphics, but then you will quickly realize the same no fun allowed people run the show and dumster tier shit game mechanics have not been fixed. Sure there was a few good ones in the last couple years, but vet players have demanded some be dialed back so they can relive the old days of being oppressive towards anyone not part of a coalition. There is also neat stations now, but in many ways just add to the blue donut and make it cancer to remove them. All in all a lot of safety creep in favor of coalitions. Practically no new players are coming to the game. High sec war are still a joke. CCP still doesn't know what to do with low sec and now wormhole space is mostly a blue donut too. Mostly just arranged fights so everyone can carebear to the max.

Better yet, imagine the Chinese server, but add a bit more players and remove the cool ship skins. Do you still want to download it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlona Sky View Post
    Haven't touched or looked at the game in atleast 5 years now. Any point in downloading it other than to spin whatever ship I might have left?
    There is also neat stations now, but in many ways just add to the blue donut and make it cancer to remove them...
    This part in particular is a weirdly pervasive myth. It's obviously untrue, yet people keep repeating it. It has never been a requirement to destroy every structure before you can kick a group out of their space and it isn't now.

What you do need to clear all the structures for is to make the space safe for botting (or low-supervision renting), but the idea that this needs to be made easier for the good of the game is not one that I am sympathetic to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Well I have been having a blast in low-sec fw, killing tech 3 destroyers in enyo's thanks to assault frigates recent changes. Not everything is null and it might help to temper your expectations.
    And now that CCP have abandoned VR they may now make some more time for EVE. Hilmar is still around like the proverbial bit of furniture and Torfi-Frans is no longer around to make
    John Smedley style fantasies. Im more optimistic now though I am sure my hopes will be extinguished post fanfest. And finally some more lore!

Also we might have access to all our old eve mails that were deleted as per this reddit post by CCP Quant - 'This brings back memories Speaking of which, I've found a way to generate all the old killmails, spanning 2003 - 2007. Not everyone knows this, but killmails are called killmails because you used to receive an eve-mail detailing your death or your kill (if you got final blow). Sometime in 2007 this was replaced with the in-game killmail feature and consequently kill api. I just went down memory lane looking at my first death, my first kill, a really memorable fight from 2005, etc.

Of course it would be great if we could integrate this data into the EVE client, but worst case we could release a data dump of these kills in the new format. These are now over 10 years old, so I wonder if that would be an issue to anybody (e.g. not wanting to make old embarassing kills public'

Quote Originally Posted by Marlona Sky View Post

I mean you could and it would seem a bit fresh due to graphics, but then you will quickly realize the same no fun allowed people run the show and dumster tier shit game mechanics have not been fixed. Sure there was a few good ones in the last couple years, but vet players have demanded some be dialed back so they can relive the old days of being oppressive towards anyone not part of a coalition. There is also neat stations now, but in many ways just add to the blue donut and make it cancer to remove them. All in all a lot of safety creep in favor of coalitions. Practically no new players are coming to the game. High sec war are still a joke. CCP still doesn't know what to do with low sec and now wormhole space is mostly a blue donut too. Mostly just arranged fights so everyone can carebear to the max.

Better yet, imagine the Chinese server, but add a bit more players and remove the cool ship skins. Do you still want to download it?
    Be the change you want it to be? Don't vote for crummy coalition csm's?

Citadels are actually easier to remove now since they made changes to them [just check z-killboard to see the amount dying regularly], of course if you are going to jump half the galaxy into one system just to kill one major one it is going to be a little more difficult but other than that they are regularly killed. You can use ship scanners to find out what they are fit with, and the relic and data analysers to hack them to find out when their reinforcement timers are. Important to note that null-sec isn't everything and that because of how many different systems there are, you won't always get to see them iterated. Maybe eve is seemingly more optimistic to me because they got rid of the 07 Show which really didn't do a lot in my mind and the fact that CCP Seagull is in maternity leave [maybe Im just tired of the same old faces?]. There are upcoming changes that allow my optimism for now. NPC's are more dynamic now which is cool. The DRF have had to abandon Geminate to evict Triumvirate. from Insmother [that said gaarst's return probably removed them a bit faster] and Origin. of Black Legion fame have returned [for a couple of months at least] to kill things in Muninn's which are now good.

Its cool to be a bitter vet but not all the time. That said there are several things still in beta like the 'new' map which really they should remove and just make the old map able to become a separate window.
    Last edited by Meester; March 14 2018 at 06:52:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    And now that CCP have abandoned VR they may now make some more time for EVE.
    This isn't how it works. There is absolutely no indication that CCP diverted VR resources back to eve when they dropped it. I don't even think they reduced eve development to start VR stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Well I have been having a blast in low-sec fw, killing tech 3 destroyers in enyo's .
    I got this far in and my heart skipped a beat. Is the enyo back? Can one do railyo again?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Well I have been having a blast in low-sec fw, killing tech 3 destroyers in enyo's .
    I got this far in and my heart skipped a beat. Is the enyo back? Can one do railyo again?
    No duck! Don't do it!

Spend your money on weed and quality knitwear instead. Those dirty Icelanders don't need your sub.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    This isn't how it works. There is absolutely no indication that CCP diverted VR resources back to eve when they dropped it. I don't even think they reduced eve development to start VR stuff.
    Two different projects at the same company will ALWAYS take from the other in one shape or form. Its not just as simple as resources either, if CCP leadership is focused more on one than the other then undoubtedly
    the other will undoubtedly not get as much attention. Would you say WoD didn't have an impact on EVE?

And yes some things in Eve still suck but probably not as much as they used to though PI is still a grind.
    Last edited by Meester; March 15 2018 at 04:44:55 PM.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    I had wanted WoD to materialize so bad. I'm kinda sad now

Two different projects at the same company will ALWAYS take from the other in one shape or form. Its not just as simple as resources either, if CCP leadership is focused more on one than the other then undoubtedly
    the other will undoubtedly not get as much attention. Would you say WoD didn't have an impact on EVE?

And yes some things in Eve still suck but probably not as much as they used to though PI is still a grind.
    CCP/Hilmar's focus on eve died years before they looked at VR. The game development is beholden to a nullsec stacked CSM.

CCP/Hilmar's focus on eve died years before they looked at VR. The game development is beholden to a nullsec stacked CSM.
    The EVE proletariat are a sack of potatoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Probably yes.

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    Well I have been having a blast in low-sec fw, killing tech 3 destroyers in enyo's thanks to assault frigates recent changes. Not everything is null and it might help to temper your expectations.
    There's still fun to be had, but let's be honest. What ages are the remaining frontrunners at? What happens when people get to a certain age? There is no Next Generation.
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo View Post
    There is no Next Generation.
    Pandemic Horde, Brave Newbies, Eve University.

I would say they are the next generation. Perfectly catered for raising the new while casting off the old.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo View Post
    There is no Next Generation.
    Pandemic Horde, Brave Newbies, Eve University.

I would say they are the next generation. Perfectly catered for raising the new while casting off the old.
    And, yet, looking at the numbers: they don't seem to be signing up. Churn is up, and player base 'growth' is negative.

If you want to have a vibrant game, with a future to match, you need to be signing up new players, and, within EVE, have them generate the sort of new player narratives to pull more new players in.

From the outside, I don't see that happening, and what little narratives are generated revolve around old players and what they do. That's never going to work in the long run.

I hear a lot about positive changes and tweaks made to the game over the past two years. It seems there's a more steady hand at the tiller now.

But it seems these changes and tweaks are mostly focussed on, and benefit the big entities and the people that run them (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't kept up so much).

From the outside looking in, what EVE lacks, what I think EVE still lacks, is a pathway from new player to vet that doesn't revolve around farming whatever for piles of imaginary cash, or joining the biggest alliance that will take you (to do same).

Just speaking for myself: I'm not coming back, and won't be either, because I know EVE: it'll take up a shitload of my time, which I'll quickly spend mostly on doing nothing worthwhile or interesting. Meanwhile I have dozens of other titles I've simply not had the chance to get into yet. My, and I suspect many potential players, time and interest is limited these days. I've got a life to live. And with other games I can pop in, get some gg on within the time/interest I have, and pop out again. EVE doesn't give me that option, so I don't play EVE. Simples.

I know bitter vets hated the idea at the time, but, if implemented well, 'arenas' would work well. But as a stepping stone in that pathway, anything that would provide quick and easy to get into fights, open to new players, would work well. CCP needs to put the fun back into EVE ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    The EVE playerbase as a whole is a sack of potatoes. The only differentiator is in the level of denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Just speaking for myself: I'm not coming back, and won't be either, because I know EVE: it'll take up a shitload of my time, which I'll quickly spend mostly on doing nothing worthwhile or interesting. Meanwhile I have dozens of other titles I've simply not had the chance to get into yet. My, and I suspect many potential players, time and interest is limited these days. I've got a life to live. And with other games I can pop in, get some gg on within the time/interest I have, and pop out again. EVE doesn't give me that option, so I don't play EVE. Simples.
    Have you tried/considered NPSI fleets? Typically more casual participation duration, no relocation & standings & sec status commitment, varied doctrine usage & less strict cohesion.
    And while those don't supply isk, you also have the public PvE communities, mostly around Incursions, that again minimise the location & standings commitment vs joining a nullsec corp (with wardecs).

As they're all public-access fleets, the fits & descriptions of gameplay are generally clearly accessible before joining, making it easier for newer players to learn aspects of the game & to decide if they want to try these PvP/PvE options.

It wouldn't really be a single-shard MMO if a play session wasn't 1+hours though...
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Have you tried/considered NPSI fleets? Typically more casual participation duration, no relocation & standings & sec status commitment, varied doctrine usage & less strict cohesion.
    And while those don't supply isk, you also have the public PvE communities, mostly around Incursions, that again minimise the location & standings commitment vs joining a nullsec corp (with wardecs).

As they're all public-access fleets, the fits & descriptions of gameplay are generally clearly accessible before joining, making it easier for newer players to learn aspects of the game & to decide if they want to try these PvP/PvE options.

It wouldn't really be a single-shard MMO if a play session wasn't 1+hours though...
    In my time I was involved in RvB, which sounds pretty similar. I also went to EVE university, and did all those other things you'd do ...

Problem is that none of it is really supported by the game. Players can, and do make up for that, but that still means there are issues where they can't (ISK, standing, what-have-you). In the end, it is still players working around the limitations of the game to make it fun.

The point I'm trying to make is: players shouldn't have to do any of that. The game should be fun to play in and of itself. You know, by design.

And, personally, I think it's ludicrous that a spaceships serious business game, revolving basically around having gfs with other players in spaceships, makes it so damned hard to have those gfs. Because from what I'm hearing here (again, as ever), that's something that hasn't really changed.

I'm not saying that 'arenas', however implemented, is the silver bullet for all of EVE's game design problems. But at least it could be about players shooting other players in the face, in spaceships; which is supposed to be fun, and what EVE is supposed to be about. And it could be a stepping stone for new players on their pathway towards having gfs 'out in the wild' (Ohhh, wait, do those still happen?).

You know, having a game that is fun to play, and easy to get into, without having to spend oodles of time waiting for something ... anything ... to happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

The fundamental issue with Eve, where everthing has value (because people want that & like the economy from it), and you aren't compelled to log in to risk anything:
    So, there used to be this MMORPG that was browser-based, humans vs zombies in a town, and you got action points per hour. Your character was at their in-game location until you used an action point to move them, so you were always at risk if spotted, and as a human would have to work together to barricade a building to ensure a single zombie couldn't out-AP you at tearing a way in & dpsing you down. There were other mechanics with having to roam to find medkits to sustain HP, but the point is that in Eve, unless you live(d) in w-space away from stations, there's nothing that can truly destroy that which you value. When you log off, you're not there, and most of your stuff can be left docked, in highsec to boot.
    And especially these days, even nullsec assets are (AFAIK) damned safe even if all structures in a system get burned down. Your biggest loss might be reputation & pecking order for sov. Hell, even w-space now has some variation of the citadel asset safety last I heard, which fundamentally destroys the game my main corp played in which we were risking everything in our POS whether we were logged in or not, with RNG connections to any part of the galaxy & only the stock of ships we'd dared to escort in (and we could be podded away from).

If you dilute the risk in Eve, you hugely diminish the value of putting in the time to make anything, or break anything, which goes against the largest strength which is its complex economy.
    Any arenas that are instanced or isolated and can't be reached & attacked by everyone therefore have this significant downside to them for an MMO, even if the actually-balanced combat matchups & mechanics can be a lot of fun (i.e. the AT fights, and why Sisi is somewhat enjoyable in quick doses but generally not recognised as having any meaning/value/way to showcase skill).

It could probably instead be said that Eve has way too much fucking space, that people aren't pushed into enough conflict over opportunities or even just caused to be passing traffic in order to perform most activities.
    I mean, there's always 10k+ players logged in, they're just generally not somewhere you can easily get to & interrupt (because docked, or arse end of nullsec, or via camps that aren't overwhelmed by 5minutes-worth of traffic forming together to smash them).
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; March 16 2018 at 08:59:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Im having fun again. Small gangs with corp, big fleets in alliance (nc.). Mostly UK corp so lots of bants.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..