hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation "No more layoffs"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post
    For what it's worth -

Tonight I bought some space armour and some space weapons. I picked a suitably badass space ship - I walked into it and sat down in the pilot seat. I then picked a destination , jumped to it and flew my ship manually through the atmosphere and landed. I waked out of my ship and then explored some habitats. I did this to several planets / moons all in glorious 4k.

Then I cancelled my EvE subscription which has been running since jan 2005.

EvE Just died.
    Star Citizen? Is 3.0 out?

No mention of PvP, sounds like No Man's Sky, hardly the point of the hardcore loot/death MMORPG that is Eve.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

CCP Newcastle has been purchased by Sumo Digital. Altogether they're bringing over 34 people.

http://www.sumo-digital.com/sumo-dig...castle-studio/
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't kept up, but isn't Hillmar part owner of CCP.

Not trying to defend the guy, he doesn't sound very good at what he does, but it's rather hard to get rid of the 'boss', if he, you know, owns (at least part of) the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't kept up, but isn't Hillmar part owner of CCP.

Not trying to defend the guy, he doesn't sound very good at what he does, but it's rather hard to get rid of the 'boss', if he, you know, owns (at least part of) the place.
    Depends how much money people want to throw at getting rid of him.

I dont think you can blame everything on Hilmar, the whole company is a basket case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Depends how much money people want to throw at getting rid of him.

I dont think you can blame everything on Hilmar, the whole company is a basket case.
    So not much change then?

To be fair on CCP though, they had their bright lights ... and they had their very very dim lights ... nothing out of the ordinary in that ... except that CCP had the knack of getting rid of/barely tolerating the bright lights while sticking through thick and thin with the dim ones ...

I don't know what has happened lately (not really kept up) but with CCP I always had the feeling that it wasn't malice ... just incompetence, and a sizeable dose of the Dunning-Kruger effect ... and hubris stemming from that ...

What I do know, however, is that the buck stops at the top ... or at least should do ... and from what I little I picked up along the way, time hasn't been very kind to CCP now, has it? Layoffs, studios closed or sold of, the money maker on little more than lifesupport, games that failed, or failed to catch on, and lots and lots of money and opportunity wasted in the process ...

Not saying you can blame everything on Hilmar ... there were many hands involved in this ... but as a CEO ... well ... much of this goes to day-to-day management and setting out short and long term strategy ... and that is a CEO's responsibility, isn't it?

I mean, all this failure, all those broken dreams, all these missed opportunities ... even though I agree you can't blame everything on him ... he is ultimately responsible, right?

Anyway, perhaps soon it won't matter either way ... I suppose EVE is still in slomo decline, as it has been for years ... but it is still a good little moneymaker, requiring, as it does, little maintenance and/or (capital) investment ...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if CCP is quietly (?) packaging it up nicely for sale ... and then Hilmar et. al. can cash out straight into retirement (or onto other ventures), or, for some of the shareholders, get their money back ... to be replaced by some other firm focussed solely on running (maybe even developing EVE), or, more likely, milk it (further) for all they got, for the time left to it ...

I mean, without CCP basically throwing huge piles of shit at every wall they can find, that might not be so bad ... and if I were an investor in CCP, I would be rather fed up with Hilmar's bright ideas by now ... since, you know, they never seem to make any money ... a sell-out, cash-out (or swap) would look pretty attractive by now ... while EVE is still worth something ...

But hell, what do I know ... I don't even lift ...

Part of me thinks it is an Icelandic thing. I think Ripard has remarked before about the Icelandic attitude regarding low volume high value sales culture. There's also a level of risk averseness in pursuing business opportunities. Sure they invested in Dust and VR and stuff, but they never really followed through the initial investment with anything showing real intent. They built a minimum viable product, then seemed to think that any further development should be driven by the revenue generated by the MVP. That simply isn't how business works any more. As soon as something is revenue generating that revenue needs to be leveraged quickly to drive in cash and further development. Anything less and you end up with a rapidly outdated product that doesn't grow quick enough to achieve escape velocity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Part of me thinks it is an Icelandic thing. I think Ripard has remarked before about the Icelandic attitude regarding low volume high value sales culture. There's also a level of risk averseness in pursuing business opportunities. Sure they invested in Dust and VR and stuff, but they never really followed through the initial investment with anything showing real intent. They built a minimum viable product, then seemed to think that any further development should be driven by the revenue generated by the MVP. That simply isn't how business works any more. As soon as something is revenue generating that revenue needs to be leveraged quickly to drive in cash and further development. Anything less and you end up with a rapidly outdated product that doesn't grow quick enough to achieve escape velocity.
    Another Icelandic thing I noticed myself (anecdotal as that evidence is) is starting things, and then not following through. Speaking in general, I found that it is not that they don't see the opportunities, but that they simply can't be arsed to follow through, and/or, somehow, become attracted to something else.

I agree that this is reflected in the attitude towards business as well, but I'm not so convinced it's caused by risk averseness as such. In my opinion, they are, generally speaking, perfectly willing to go out on a limb for something. But then it is as if they seem to lose interest for the next exciting thing. Generally speaking obviously.

In CCP terms, they're perfectly willing to throw even the most outrageous shit at the wall, and spend an enormous amount of time and effort at doing so, but then seem to be equally willing to abandon it again, even if it sticks, just to throw some more. I call it the 'let's go fishing' attitude, because that's how it manifested itself to me.

That's how I see CCP's investment in Dust, and VR, and the other stuff as well. It is not that they were bad ideas. Or that they weren't thought through. Or that they weren't willing to take a risk (perhaps, if pushed). It is just that there was no proper follow through, because CCP, essentially, lost interest. The moment things got difficult, for example with Dust and the connection to EVE, CCP basically bugged out. As if they couldn't be arsed to deal with it.

CCP got lucky, once, with EVE, and I think they thought the same thing would happen again, and again, without them having to put the hard labour in. That a working prototype would entice the players do the work for them. Because, let's face it, that is basically what happened with EVE.

You're right, these days that just doesn't work anymore. With the competition as it is, and the money that's sloshing around, that's no longer an option. But it is not just follow-on investment, which I agree is important, with CCP I think it is follow-on in general.

Anyway, the best that I think can happen with EVE, for the players that is, is that the shareholders pull the plug on CCP. Basically stop wasting their time with Hilmar and his bright ideas, and package up EVE nicely for sale to a third party, solely focussed on just running EVE, and reinvest (more of) the revenue into developing it further. It is too late for EVE to 'achieve escape velocity', and anyway, as a niche product there's only so much that can be done there. But, for what it is (a nice moneymaker certainly), it can easily be leveraged for consolidation in the market that it serves. That won't make it 'big', but will make it 'solid', with the best-case scenario being a small, but solid growth towards market stability. That should be enough to (continue to) stave off compition from the likes of Star Citizen et. al.

Sticking with Hilmar and CCP, I personally don't think is an option. They've already demonstrated their inability to do so. They question is whether investment capital sees it the same way.

I guess that explains the micro transactions in EVE that are not even remotely close to micro transactions. They are betting on the super whales to pay the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlona Sky View Post
    I guess that explains the micro transactions in EVE that are not even remotely close to micro transactions. They are betting on the super whales to pay the bills.
    As is the case with every other MT-driven game. It's been proven time and time again that the money in MT is in the whales. The revenue from anyone else is insignificant; minnows are there for the whales to feast on.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    As is the case with every other MT-driven game. It's been proven time and time again that the money in MT is in the whales. The revenue from anyone else is insignificant; minnows are there for the whales to feast on.
    Hats ... and monocles ... right?

$1000 dollar jeans mate. Get with the big money boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    $1000 dollar jeans mate. Get with the big money boys!
    if only rak was still here to smugpost about his expensive digital apparel.

sad

times

the silvershore longcoat was the pinnacle of Rak's life. He is survived by that coat. Rest in Peace

did Rak die for realzies?

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    If only

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    Who cares?

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Haven't touched or looked at the game in atleast 5 years now. Any point in downloading it other than to spin whatever ship I might have left?

I think Rak ragequit after I posted this as a counter to one of his 'I'm spacerich' posts.

Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)