hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Operation "No more layoffs"

He didn't even get doomsdayed. He got choobed by a single Hel because he was a complete mango and sieged instead of waddling his happy little Moros back to the gate.

Now bad@botes

Super Everator Global Moderator Virtuozzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPilot View Post
    And people lost their minds when Shadoo suggested staged fights in 1 region.
    Napoleontic warfare ftw
    J'ai violé votre vaisseau spatial. C'était amusant....!

EVE once was about internet spaceships. Then those became serious business.
    Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    The rise of organised fights probably tracks pretty well with a decline in the overall state of the game.
    I really dont see a decline. It doesnt feel emptier, less crowded. Then again i didnt play from 2009 to 2016 and a 6 month break due to rl in 2017.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    That seems an irellevant anecdote to the overall playerbase behaviour & game design, but ok.
    I agree .

Though it shows two things:
    1. There is obviously a market for this sort of gameplay. Players wouldn't organise it, and other players wouldn't join it, if there wasn't. I remember a comment during, essentially, all tournaments (which provided similar 'experiences': it's great and all, by why isn't this supported/provided/in the game?
    2. CCP is still going with 'the players will sort this out for us', i.e., the players will do game design for us. Which, I think, in this instance, is pretty silly. Nothing players can organise themselves, within the limitations of the game, will ever match something that is fully supported by the game. Players doing game design for CCP cannot never enforce required limitations, or, fully skirt round limitation already in the game, for example. And why would players have to provide gameplay features (potentially indefinitely) that are pretty much standard in so many other MMOs anyway? CCP invents all sort of elaborate chutes and ladders for an already overcrowded sandbox, but can't be arsed to provide core, pretty straightforward, and desired gameplay like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Well as i said my post wasnt the scope you were talking about but i gave two clear examples of players picking up on it and being content drivers. Combined with discord its also easy to setup.

There are also new nip's (non invasion pact) for good fites in effect again (to break the blue donut a bit).

And indeed not the same as when ccp would drive the initiative or innovation for Eve.

Just telling how it is from somebody who is actually playing the game.

Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Well as i said my post wasnt the scope you were talking about but i gave two clear examples of players picking up on it and being content drivers. Combined with discord its also easy to setup.

There are also new nip's (non invasion pact) for good fites in effect again (to break the blue donut a bit).

And indeed not the same as when ccp would drive the initiative or innovation for Eve.

Listen, I'm not trying to call you out. And you're right: I don't play the game, I haven't kept up with it, and I don't know what's current or not. So I think it's good to have input from someone who does.

All I'm saying is that, for all I know, mostly from reading around here, is that numbers are still dwindling, because EVE still has an issue with player retention, and/or attracting new players. This would not be a new issue for EVE.

Are you saying these are not/no longer issues for EVE/CCP?

My argument, basically formed way back, is that this is in part because EVE still has a gap in (new) player experience when it comes to 1v1/few-v-few gameplay. It lacks this pathway from noob to vet that other games have as part of their core game design.

Are you saying that is not/no longer the case?

You're saying 'players picked up on it', and are 'being content drivers' on this. I'd say that players were doing the same (in different ways no doubt) years ago as well. But that wasn't enough then, so I honestly doubt it will be enough now.

No? Not the case?

In my view, this sort of pathway/core content should be provided by the game itself, and be fully part of the overall game design. That only the game designers can provide this 'properly', and in a way that is sustainable and integrated in the rest of the game. To me, 'players picking up on it' merely shows that there's a 'market' for this sort of gameplay. And them 'being content drivers' is all well, good, and commendable, but that comes with limitations and constraints they cannot overcome. Players can never make up for game designers/developers providing core gameplay.

No? Disagree?

And frankly, I think that a smart game developer/designer would go: "Ahh, so this is what they want", and then work to provide/include it in their game. In this day and age, anything, really, to keep the players coming back and stay. To me, that would make sense. CCP going: we'll leave it to the players to make the game for us" just doesn't. If that was ever an option, it no longer is.

No? Not true?

Anyway, like I said: I don't play the game, and know nothing about where it is now. So feel free to tell me where/if I'm wrong. I'd be interested to hear it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post

Listen, I'm not trying to call you out. And you're right: I don't play the game, I haven't kept up with it, and I don't know what's current or not. So I think it's good to have input from someone who does.

All I'm saying is that, for all I know, mostly from reading around here, is that numbers are still dwindling, because EVE still has an issue with player retention, and/or attracting new players. This would not be a new issue for EVE.

No, it's no longer an issue in terms of venture perspective. Whales remember, easy to milk. Product perspective is slightly different, there's a certain volume required for baseline functionality. Which CCP actively tracks as part of metrics these days.

My argument, basically formed way back, is that this is in part because EVE still has a gap in (new) player experience when it comes to 1v1/few-v-few gameplay. It lacks this pathway from noob to vet that other games have as part of their core game design.

You're saying 'players picked up on it', and are 'being content drivers' on this. I'd say that players were doing the same (in different ways no doubt) years ago as well. But that wasn't enough then, so I honestly doubt it will be enough now.

No? Not the case?
    Sure, but does that matter? Yes they're gearing back to the old advertising ratraces, but as long as there's whales, it's cool.

In my view, this sort of pathway/core content should be provided by the game itself, and be fully part of the overall game design. That only the game designers can provide this 'properly', and in a way that is sustainable and integrated in the rest of the game. To me, 'players picking up on it' merely shows that there's a 'market' for this sort of gameplay. And them 'being content drivers' is all well, good, and commendable, but that comes with limitations and constraints they cannot overcome. Players can never make up for game designers/developers providing core gameplay.

No? Disagree?

And frankly, I think that a smart game developer/designer would go: "Ahh, so this is what they want", and then work to provide/include it in their game. In this day and age, anything, really, to keep the players coming back and stay. To me, that would make sense. CCP going: we'll leave it to the players to make the game for us" just doesn't. If that was ever an option, it no longer is.

No? Not true?

Anyway, like I said: I don't play the game, and know nothing about where it is now. So feel free to tell me where/if I'm wrong. I'd be interested to hear it ...
    Customers aren't content drivers any longer. They are content generators within specific game environment niches. Note the distinction.

Everything else comes down to the roadmap of shoving in EA inspired feature and mechanics bits tailored to metrics. Which is really the only thing why CCP still has an actual workforce for development of this product.

Now all that is left is serious business, and spaceships are docked for two years till after the Dust of Incarna

Wew Barth. I wasnt having a go at you nor was i hostile. I was giving some player perspective and agreeing with you on some parts.

As for other mmo's, i dont play them. As you can read in my very recent posts i took a long ass break, actually a longer break than playing in years total.
    I will repeat one Point tho. Space doesnt feel at all empty to me, more like 2006-2008 numbers. Maybe entire shithole regions like insmother or feythabolis are empty bar some renters i dunno.

With skill injectors you cant even get a good ingame feel anymore of who is new or not.
    Enough content for my corp solo and alliance.

e: i think i also missed the peak eve player numbers in those holiday years. So might explain why i have no issue at all with current numbers as i was used to that mostly.
    Last edited by Sacul; March 22 2018 at 04:36:06 PM.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Wew Barth. I wasnt having a go at you nor was i hostile. I was giving some player perspective and agreeing with you on some parts.

As for other mmo's, i dont play them. As you can read in my very recent posts i took a long as break, actually a longer break than playing in years total.
    I will repeat one Point tho. Space doesnt feel at all empty to me, more like 2006-2008 numbers. Maybe entire shithole regions like insmother or feythabolis are empty bar some renters i dunno.

With skill injectors you cant even get a good ingame feel anymore of who is new or not.

I can assure you: no offence was taking, nor did I think you were hostile. In fact, I asked those questions because I'm genuinely interested in your take on this. You are, after all, still playing the game, and I am not.

I take you point about space not feeling empty, and that various changes have made the distinction between new or not player has clear. Same with there being enough content.

I wonder, though, if the distribution of players in EVE follows a power law distribution in the same way that people are distributed in countries. I.e., with a couple of big cities with lots of people living there; more middling towns with a lot less people living there, and a rural community in lots of small towns and villages that are, comparatively, sparsely populated.

I don't know where you live in EVE. But in the real world, depopulation/emigration/etc. usually hits harder (and/or feels differently, or is felt more accutely) in rural communities than it does in big cities. Even if people leave in the same overall proportion throughout, big cities retain their 'critical mass' far longer than small villages do. In that 10,000 people leaving a city of 1,000,000 has less effect (and/or feels differently) than, say, 10 people leaving a town of 1,000. Especially if those 10 people are better connected in their smaller communities, as they often are in smaller/rural communities.

In the end, someone living in a bustling city of a million souls might not even notice that 10 thousand people are leaving every year for quite a long time, while for a small rural community of a thousand, that would be quite different if even only 10 people left.

At the same time, in the real world, there is this ongoing tendency of people leaving rural communities to moving into the cities as well. Speeding up the phenomenon in rural communities, while slowing it down in big cities.

I can't help but wonder if this isn't the case in EVE as well. Even a cursory glance at the numbers shows that EVE's playerbase is in decline. But maybe you don't notice it where you live, because you're in one of EVE's 'city' regions/areas, where the effect of that is diminished. At the same time, players are migrating into those areas from shithole regions like the ones you mention, diminishing the effect even further. So it may not feel like it where you live in EVE, but it is 'shrinking', and in the end this will produce issues wrt sustainability.

You may end up being the last to notice it, but, because of the power law distribution, then it'll get worse a lot faster.

Sound familiar?

These are the sort of high level agreements that are killing eve.

Just fucking fight over something already. Constant economic accumulation by the power blocs is soooooo boring. NIPs sustain the blue donut, the blue donut is killing eve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Nah, eve is killing eve. The paranoia and the tear harvesting is so good for newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo View Post

No, it's no longer an issue in terms of venture perspective. Whales remember, easy to milk. Product perspective is slightly different, there's a certain volume required for baseline functionality. Which CCP actively tracks as part of metrics these days.

No? Not the case?
    Sure, but does that matter? Yes they're gearing back to the old advertising ratraces, but as long as there's whales, it's cool.

No? Disagree?

No? Not true?

Customers aren't content drivers any longer. They are content generators within specific game environment niches. Note the distinction.

Everything else comes down to the roadmap of shoving in EA inspired feature and mechanics bits tailored to metrics. Which is really the only thing why CCP still has an actual workforce for development of this product.
    I assume that by 'whales', you mean those players (that can't accept the loss of the sunk capital perhaps?), that will stick to/buy into EVE, no matter what?

Well ... not to be cheeky, but doesn't that describe you to a t?

Seriously though, I sincerely doubt that the number of 'whales' isn't in decline as well. Like you said: EVE's playerbase is growing older by the year as well, and that will have an effect the number of 'whales' too. Their pockets may have grown deeper, but what of their willingness to go along with ever more milking practices? I doubt it will compensate anyway.

In the end, there's a limit to this, surely. Both in time and response. And what when that limit is reached? Then what? And how quickly will that then lead to a fail cascade. CCP can only push their playerbase, 'whales' or otherwise, so far down that lane.

And that's a risk. Both in venture and product perspectives.

My point to all that is this: if CCP's roadmap is only about shoving in (more) EA inspired features and mechanisms into EVE, whether they are tailored to spurious performance or survival metrics or not, then Hilmar and Co.'s retirement fund is going to be distinctly meagre. Because I don't see how milking the whales for more mulah is going to stop the 'shrinkage', whatever it, temporarily, will do for the bottom line.

And a playerbase already milked for all they're worth just isn't worth investing in. And any venture capital worth their salt is going to look beyond what the bottom line currently says. We're not rocking it like it is 2007 any more ...

And, frankly, from what I've heard, anyone arguing that there's a lot more slack in this playerbase (or game) is, I think, indulging in some wishful thinking. For EVE to keep being the little money maker, and thus attractive to venture capital, the first order of business is to stabilise the size of the playerbase at a viable point soon. EVE, because of how it is designed, needs critical mass to function. Without it, it will just collapse. And more milking practices will just make that harder to achieve. Whales or no whales ...

As for other mmo's, i dont play them. As you can read in my very recent posts i took a long as break, actually a longer break than playing in years total.

I can assure you: no offence was taking, nor did I think you were hostile. In fact, I asked those questions because I'm genuinely interested in your take on this. You are, after all, still playing the game, and I am not.

I take you point about space not feeling empty, and that various changes have made the distinction between new or not player has clear. Same with there being enough content.

I wonder, though, if the distribution of players in EVE follows a power law distribution in the same way that people are distributed in countries. I.e., with a couple of big cities with lots of people living there; more middling towns with a lot less people living there, and a rural community in lots of small towns and villages that are, comparatively, sparsely populated.

I don't know where you live in EVE. But in the real world, depopulation/emigration/etc. usually hits harder (and/or feels differently, or is felt more accutely) in rural communities than it does in big cities. Even if people leave in the same overall proportion throughout, big cities retain their 'critical mass' far longer than small villages do. In that 10,000 people leaving a city of 1,000,000 has less effect (and/or feels differently) than, say, 10 people leaving a town of 1,000. Especially if those 10 people are better connected in their smaller communities, as they often are in smaller/rural communities.

In the end, someone living in a bustling city of a million souls might not even notice that 10 thousand people are leaving every year for quite a long time, while for a small rural community of a thousand, that would be quite different if even only 10 people left.

At the same time, in the real world, there is this ongoing tendency of people leaving rural communities to moving into the cities as well. Speeding up the phenomenon in rural communities, while slowing it down in big cities.

I can't help but wonder if this isn't the case in EVE as well. Even a cursory glance at the numbers shows that EVE's playerbase is in decline. But maybe you don't notice it where you live, because you're in one of EVE's 'city' regions/areas, where the effect of that is diminished. At the same time, players are migrating into those areas from shithole regions like the ones you mention, diminishing the effect even further. So it may not feel like it where you live in EVE, but it is 'shrinking', and in the end this will produce issues wrt sustainability.

You may end up being the last to notice it, but, because of the power law distribution, then it'll get worse a lot faster.

Sound familiar?
    It sounds familiar sure.

There are indeed large cities in eve. Examples atm are Horde capital in BWF, PL in p3en, NC in 15W, Goons in Delve, Jita. And there are farmlands with or without serfs (renters basicly).
    Thinking about it there are just 2 trade hubs left, Jita and Amarr where there used to be 4 (Rens and some other place). Some old gate camp systems in low sec are dead e.g Amamake, Aunenen. Others have sprung up around Chribba and c4w3's keepstar freeport project.
    The overall universe multitude of wars have also declined. Mostly because Russians, who are lately very active relocating regions, in general are no longer so prominent in their old regions. But i think thats more a effect of wormholes and citadels.

I completely believe the number game is down and there is a trend towards the city gates but that is the same as in 2008. I also see loads of people being sick of the city and living out in the country doing pretty well for themselfs and offcourse the folks that live in subspace aka wormholes. There have allways been good discussions in comparing eve to rl history, trends and the like. No change there.

So to keep with your analogy. Cities rise and fall, farms are burned, monestary's come and go and the citizens of eve have a low fertility rate.

Then again i have been hearing about the decline of eve since '08 and its still here despite your factual numbers. Offcourse the game will one day die. I just dont think that day will be in 2018 and my event horizon doesnt go beyond that.
    If anything the game is made more casual with easier isk making, never could have thought mining was actually worth it for a non-bot same as industry which is no longer please stab me in the eye excercise, alpha clones, skill injectors, double skill training for x days with boosters, plexes and discord.

My hardcore eve days are well behind me and will never return but i am having fun so far.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Venture capital? There's no growth and they're revenue generating, so vc won't get anywhere near them since there isn't enough capital risk to shaft the existing owners with.

If Hilmar is looking at an exit it'll be from a second rate private equity firm or being bought by riot or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Venture capital? There's no growth and they're revenue generating, so vc won't get anywhere near them since there isn't enough capital risk to shaft the existing owners with.

If Hilmar is looking at an exit it'll be from a second rate private equity firm or being bought by riot or something.
    Virt calls everything to do with money 'venture'. I'm just trying to fit in .

I agree though. Riot would be good, but I doubt they're much interested. So a crappy private equity firm is what's it going to be.

Or will it? EVE is in/quickly approaching an end-of-life cycle situation. To bring it back from that requires investment. And milking the playerbase when that knowledge is out there isn't going to net you much. It's a nice little moneymaker for as long as may still last, but I don't see people forking out a lot of money for it either.

If CCP can bring about some stability in the size of the playerbase that's a picture, but as it stands ...

In short; Eve is dying.

I am amazed how many words it takes you to reach this conclusion.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Spank View Post
    In short; Eve is dying.

Nah, it's actually got an increasing yield. Just got to finish packaging it - but slowly, one departing oldie with payout at a time.

In short; Eve is dying.

Nah, it's actually got an increasing yield. Just got to finish packaging it - but slowly, one departing oldie with payout at a time.
    That wasn't even registering on the Barth world count scale.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    In short; Eve is dying.

True, but it is that simple. Packaging comes down to EA's old study of ST:O. And yeah, the core is already packing up themselves as well. Kinda normal to want a good life with new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    In short; Eve is dying.

I don't count worlds though ...