hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sexual Misconduct Shenanigans Pool

In among the memes and jokes, here have about 60 (at time of reading) anonymous DMs from victims of rape.

Last edited by Sparq; November 11 2017 at 12:34:28 PM.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Pretty good statement tbh
    Hasn't stopped him from being unpersonned.

Louis C.K.'s planned appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert was cancelled and HBO announced it would purge Louis C.K.'s past projects from its On Demand service.

The cable TV network also said the comic would no longer participate in a charity comedy special, Night of Too Many Stars, later this month.
    Cool, their service, their rules.

Banned

Louis C.K.'s planned appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert was cancelled and HBO announced it would purge Louis C.K.'s past projects from its On Demand service.

The cable TV network also said the comic would no longer participate in a charity comedy special, Night of Too Many Stars, later this month.
    But for what purpose? What does removing his past work achieve?

And it screws all the other people who worked on those projects who might rely on royalties from them to make a living.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post

But for what purpose? What does removing his past work achieve?

And it screws all the other people who worked on those projects who might rely on royalties from them to make a living.
    I thought you were all about personal freedom?

Why are you trying to tell HBO what they can do with their product?

Also fuck off

Banned
    Your vulgarity makes you look foolish. They liked his work to have hosted it in the first place, and whatever he has done is not a reflection on his work, or the work of many others that were involved either.

I understand your argument, but at some point you have to draw a line under this kind of behaviour, even if it is a symbolic gesture. Maybe sometime in the future his work will be made available on those platforms, because of others that were involved, but you should be able to understand why companies are taking the position they're taking.

Most of the people you're talking about won't be taking royalties anyway. They would have been paid for the job the did and that's it.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    I understand your argument, but at some point you have to draw a line under this kind of behaviour, even if it is a symbolic gesture. Maybe sometime in the future his work will be made available on those platforms, because of others that were involved, but you should be able to understand why companies are taking the position they're taking.

Most of the people you're talking about won't be taking royalties anyway. They would have been paid for the job the did and that's it.

Quite possibly but there's also an important question about whether we should be effectively censoring someone's work because of later discoveries about their personal activities. If we start doing that there are no end of important and influential writers (not saying Louis CK is such, but the same principle applies) that may one day be discovered to have done things people disapprove of, but it doesn't invalidate their work or mean people should be shielded from it.

It's a statement saying that your actions will have consequences and it won't be tolerated once discovered. Might make the next person think before slapping their cock out on the table.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

YES!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...l-1981-1056698

George Takei Accused of Sexually Assaulting Former Model in 1981

Your vulgarity makes you look foolish
    "Toodle pip me old chap! how the delinquent population of peasants manage to use this new-fangled internet is quite beyond me"

also, fuck off

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post

Quite possibly but there's also an important question about whether we should be effectively censoring someone's work because of later discoveries about their personal activities. If we start doing that there are no end of important and influential writers (not saying Louis CK is such, but the same principle applies) that may one day be discovered to have done things people disapprove of, but it doesn't invalidate their work or mean people should be shielded from it.
    CENSORSHIP REEEE

freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences

This is getting boring now, get some new material and stop going in circles, you disingenuous spanner

Banned
    But he's not having his work taken down for what it says, so this line makes no sense.

As more and more allegations (and some actors) come out, some serious, some not worth the column inches or bandwidth. Who's going to be the next big name to fall?

Going to take a punt...

HRH Prince Andrew
    Brian Singer
    George Lucas
    George Takei
    2 out of 4 down.

Banned
    But he's not having his work taken down for what it says, so this line makes no sense.
    Also:

Why lazy? Argue your case instead of making pithy rep comments.

WEAK

DO BETTER NEXT TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    I don't recall which report that was, but it was part of the reason why none of the many women who experienced this came forward sooner. At least one or two of them were told to keep quiet about what he did.
    Interesting. Maybe you could find that report. That sounds like a pretty huge omission by the other reports.

Quote Originally Posted by NyTimes
    But Ms. Goodman and Ms. Wolov said that when they told others about the incident in the Colorado hotel room, they heard that Louis C.K.ís manager was upset that they were talking about it openly. The women feared career repercussions. Louis C.K.ís manager, Dave Becky, was adamant in an email that he ďnever threatened anyone.Ē
    Hoping that outrage would build against Louis C.K., and also to shame him, they began telling others about the incident the next day. But many people seemed to recoil, they said. ďGuys were backing away from us,Ē Ms. Wolov said. Barely 24 hours after they left Louis C.K.ís hotel, ďwe could already feel the backlash.Ē
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/a...isconduct.html
    Louis CK's full statement says some similar stuff:

I want to address the stories told to The New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isnít a question. Itís a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly. I have been remorseful of my actions. And Iíve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now Iím aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.

I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didnít want to hear it. I didnít think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what youíve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. Iíd be remiss to exclude the hurt that Iíve brought on people who I work with and have worked with whoís professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. Iíve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years. Iíve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading.
    Actually one of the better apologies we've seen for this sort of behavior.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

No, but the consequences of his actions are that his work is no longer on show. Doesn't matter that his work doesn't show him taking his cock out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    No, but the consequences of his actions are that his work is no longer on show. Doesn't matter that his work doesn't show him taking his cock out.

And where does this end? Shall we no longer be allowed to read Dickens because of his attitudes to women, or Marx because of his views on Jews? We're coming alarmingly close to trying to rewrite history to try and erase all trace of anyone who does something wrong, instead of leaving it where it is to remind us that we're all flawed in some way.

And where does this end? Shall we no longer be allowed to read Dickens because of his attitudes to women, or Marx because of his views on Jews? We're coming alarmingly close to trying to rewrite history to try and erase all trace of anyone who does something wrong, instead of leaving it where it is to remind us that we're all flawed in some way.
    No we're not and you know it. Someone sexually assaults someone, a publisher decides they don't want to publish their content anymore. It's not a law against it, it's a publisher not wanting to host content from someone who does something wrong. Unless you think no publisher should ever legally allowed to remove any content ever for any reason, just in case?

Banned

No we're not and you know it. Someone sexually assaults someone, a publisher decides they don't want to publish their content anymore. It's not a law against it, it's a publisher not wanting to host content from someone who does something wrong. Unless you think no publisher should ever legally allowed to remove any content ever for any reason, just in case?

He didn't sexually assault them though, he masturbated in front of them, with their consent. Not saying a publisher shouldn't be allowed to remove content, I simply question the reasons for it. If it is because the content is unsuitable or unpopular, then that's fine by me, but if it is simply because media opinion has moved against the content's creator then that's censorship.