hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple video recording set up

Simple video recording set up

I want to do some promotional interviews with a company I'm working for, but we have no recording equipment and we don't fancy hiring pros in regularly.

Does anyone here have any experience with low budget video recording? Nothing fancy required, just 720p video with good sound quality and I guess a decent tripod. They had a video made before in a similar format a few months ago and the sound quality was abysmal, so focus will probably be on decent microphones.

Based on the popularity of twitch streaming and stuff at the moment I imagine it can't be that hard to get decent recordings done... right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    What's your budget? Is a visible microphone acceptable? How portable does the system need to be?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

I've only experience with home video but we get really good results with our MiniDV camcorder - add a mic and put a few lamps in the correct place I suppose it would come out looking ok. We use tapes still but I think the modern ones record direct to a memory card and the price of camcorders has come down a great deal, we paid close to 400 quid for our tape driven thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I want to do some promotional interviews with a company I'm working for, but we have no recording equipment and we don't fancy hiring pros in regularly.

Does anyone here have any experience with low budget video recording? Nothing fancy required, just 720p video with good sound quality and I guess a decent tripod. They had a video made before in a similar format a few months ago and the sound quality was abysmal, so focus will probably be on decent microphones.

Based on the popularity of twitch streaming and stuff at the moment I imagine it can't be that hard to get decent recordings done... right?
    I mean, a decent phone and one of those gorilla pods will handle the video part. Audio recording and lighting is where you need a bit of real kit. Decent boom condenser mic or a lapel mic at a minimum. Lights with diffusion bags or something will make all the difference.
    meh

All I can recommend is one of those Yeti mics, but I mostly just use it for shittalking.

One of the things one of my youtube friends (I have a youtube friend!) has always said is that audio quality is far more important than video quality so its worth getting 'the best' mic you can afford. Just about any camera will do video these days (up to 30 mins) at 'good enough' quality, but most of them have shitty mics.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

With mics the question is, whether a visible microphone is acceptable or not. If it is, grab the most expensive Blue or Rode microphone you guys want to afford.

If it isn't, Rode offers lavalier microphones with transmitters you can attach to your camera. Or you can get their shotgun mic with the blimp cover and put it overhead of the scene.

Personally I'd use a lavalier. More money spent is always better with microphones.

Something that most people ignore is lighting. But to give some hints there, you'd need to elaborate what the stage looks like.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Thanks for the advice so far chaps. Reps incoming.

I'm drawn to a lapel mic but I'll see what others think about it.

The 'stage' is basically just an office area, we'll probably use a quiet co-working space on a Friday since it's got good natural lighting and provides a decent canvas for a backdrop.

As for the technical logistics of recording, are there programs which would allow me to plug in and record direct to laptop? So I can hitch up mic and camera to USB, see it all on screen and press record?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The 'stage' is basically just an office area, we'll probably use a quiet co-working space on a Friday since it's got good natural lighting and provides a decent canvas for a backdrop.

As for the technical logistics of recording, are there programs which would allow me to plug in and record direct to laptop? So I can hitch up mic and camera to USB, see it all on screen and press record?
    https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Its free till you feel guilty enough to pay for it. Highly recommended. If you are on a Mac, just buy Logic. It's worth the $100 or whateve they charge for it now.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Its free till you feel guilty enough to pay for it. Highly recommended. If you are on a Mac, just buy Logic. It's worth the $100 or whateve they charge for it now.
    Looks decent. What's the learning curve on it like?

At the moment I just want to be able to have decent quality for one guy sitting in front of a camera, this could be a little OTT

Looks decent. What's the learning curve on it like?

At the moment I just want to be able to have decent quality for one guy sitting in front of a camera, this could be a little OTT
    Probs. It's probably more usable than Audacity, which is the major open source 2 track DAW. I mean, if you are recording audio at the same time, then you just get the Mic plugged in and hit record, but at some point, you will need to sync (laying audio recorded elsewhere, like voice over). If you have access to Adobe, their solution is sort of simple 2 track (for podcasts, and is pretty easy). Same with garageband on Snapple. Actually p decent.
    meh

People ignore proper lighting all the time. Even if you got good natural light, you'll need lights in the faces of the people on camera or you'll have shadows everywhere. And as soon as you use lights from the front, you need some to light the people from the back, or you have a cardboard cut out effect.

Unless you work with tons of reflectors. But even then you need to reflect light everywhere.

If you want it to look good.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    With mics the question is, whether a visible microphone is acceptable or not. If it is, grab the most expensive Blue or Rode microphone you guys want to
    Interesting, never heard of those before.

Back in the day when I played music, the "real folks" (musicians, recording studios etc.) used Sennheiser, Sure and AKG. Where around I was, people preferred Sennheiser for instruments, AKG was the "general usage" standard and Shure for voice.

You are correct and I just ordered a new Shure for school and am in the process of changing plugs on two old Sennheiser/Telefunken/Beyerdynamics* mics because they are fucking epic.

But in terms of ease of use, nothing beats rode and blue simply because they come with USB as main interface.

Rode however is an old Danish (iirc) microphone company that has been in the business forever, pretty much their Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic.

Also, I'd stick to Rode.

*branded Telefunken, produced by either Sennheiser or Beyerdynamics, can't tell right now. One of them is a Sennheiser 421, which has been in continuous production since the 60s.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

For recording software, Open Broadcast Software is used by a silly number of YT and Twitch people. Has the live preview of the scene(s) as you want it composed, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

You are correct and I just ordered a new Shure for school and am in the process of changing plugs on two old Sennheiser/Telefunken/Beyerdynamics* mics because they are fucking epic.

But in terms of ease of use, nothing beats rode and blue simply because they come with USB as main interface.

Rode however is an old Danish (iirc) microphone company that has been in the business forever, pretty much their Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic.

Also, I'd stick to Rode.

*branded Telefunken, produced by either Sennheiser or Beyerdynamics, can't tell right now. One of them is a Sennheiser 421, which has been in continuous production since the 60s.

Tapapapatalk
    Post pics of the Telefunken. If it's actually an older telefunken, it's probably a gem.
    meh

Also, I'd stick to Rode.

Tapapapatalk
    Post pics of the Telefunken. If it's actually an older telefunken, it's probably a gem.
    It's a 421/5. It is a gem. Comes with an old Tuchel plug, our shop teacher is going to resolder an XLR plug onto the one Tuchel cable we have (not going to have the mic resoldered, even though it is apparently easy.
    nevar forget

Also, I'd stick to Rode.

Tapapapatalk
    It's a 421/5. It is a gem. Comes with an old Tuchel plug, our shop teacher is going to resolder an XLR plug onto the one Tuchel cable we have (not going to have the mic resoldered, even though it is apparently easy.
    If your school ever wants to get rid of that, you just let me know. Iíll give it a good retirement.

Also, I'd stick to Rode.

Tapapapatalk
    If your school ever wants to get rid of that, you just let me know. I’ll give it a good retirement.
    Give me half a dozen SM58s and we may have a deal.
    nevar forget

Also, I'd stick to Rode.

Tapapapatalk
    If your school ever wants to get rid of that, you just let me know. I’ll give it a good retirement.
    Give me half a dozen SM58s and we may have a deal.
    could be arranged for a 60s 421.
    meh