hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity is scary! [Transportation Thread]

Will Don rage-quit the forums permanently this time when he's made to look like a jackass?

Doubtful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As soon as it's legal to be driven home by my self-driving city car after 6 pints, i'm getting one.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Regardless of how the development and overture to the world of electrical from traditional combustion driven cars is, I hope people realise that self driven cars have still a long way to go. I'm doubtful we'll see that implemented properly in our society within the next 15-20 years tbh. The technology is not feasible in this point in time. Especially self driven pure electrical vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Regardless of how the development and overture to the world of electrical from traditional combustion driven cars is, I hope people realise that self driven cars have still a long way to go. I'm doubtful we'll see that implemented properly in our society within the next 15-20 years tbh. The technology is not feasible in this point in time. Especially self driven pure electrical vehicles.
    I imagine any implementation of driverless vehicles will probably be done with driverless city zones. It'll be an add on to public transport I would think, since existing road infrastructure can be used you just take the sack out of meat away from the wheel, have driverless buses and driverless uber or whatever and phase it in stage by stage. Biggest problem is driverless cars sharing the road with unpredictable human drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Yeah the tech just isn't there right now, this is why apple has pulled their funding for their entire autonomous vehicle program, and its not like anyone has more money to throw around than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I imagine any implementation of driverless vehicles will probably be done with driverless city zones. It'll be an add on to public transport I would think, since existing road infrastructure can be used you just take the sack out of meat away from the wheel, have driverless buses and driverless uber or whatever and phase it in stage by stage. Biggest problem is driverless cars sharing the road with unpredictable human drivers.
    and shadows. and sun glare. and water. and snow. and debris like leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    So you're saying we limit them to 20mph in wet weather and roll them out in London first? Sounds good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    As soon as it's legal to be driven home by my self-driving city car after 6 pints, i'm getting one.
    Holy fuck I've never thought about that one! Go technology go

Mr Elon Musk please make cars drive themselves asap

Please Elon Musk

Elon Musk

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    So you're saying we limit them to 20mph in wet weather and roll them out in London first? Sounds good to me.
    This sounds pretty adequate to me, a city environment is one where electric cars are actually somewhat practical and nobody wants to drive in London anyway.

Other than that window lickers in slow self driving cars are unwelcome on my wet and windy country lanes.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Level 5 yes, but level 4 is not that far away. Rumours have it that google is launching a trial (Phoenix area?) this year or next, with level 4 cars (no driver inside). If it goes well, and I can't think that google wouldn't make sure that it does, the PR disaster would just be too big, we will see the technology being rolled out over the next ~5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    With all due respect, autopilot in a plane is akin to cruise control in a car. It simply maintans heading and altitude and can follow ILS signal.
    Let me introduce you the X-47B, which takes off, flies, lands and even selects its targets itself. And only due to legal reasons a human still pulls the trigger. Technically there's no need for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    With all due respect, autopilot in a plane is akin to cruise control in a car. It simply maintans heading and altitude and can follow ILS signal.
    Let me introduce you the X-47B, which takes off, flies, lands and even selects its targets itself. And only due to legal reasons a human still pulls the trigger. Technically there's no need for that.
    ikr. When most people say drones, what they are really saying is RC planes. When people around where I live say drones. They are mostly talking about a spectrum of semi-autonomous to autonomous systems. If you don't think there is technological, er, trickle down, from defense spending into the US R&D infrastructure, you don't actually understand how the process works, and defense is spending a whole shitload on autonomous systems, which consumer cars will benefit from.
    meh

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingHipster View Post
    Level 5 yes, but level 4 is not that far away. Rumours have it that google is launching a trial (Phoenix area?) this year or next, with level 4 cars (no driver inside). If it goes well, and I can't think that google wouldn't make sure that it does, the PR disaster would just be too big, we will see the technology being rolled out over the next ~5 years.
    Which I doubt will be of much use outside a technical showcase. Considering todays autonomous prototypes consumes way too much power to be viable for electrical cars. They still have a long way to go.

Which I doubt will be of much use outside a technical showcase. Considering todays autonomous prototypes consumes way too much power to be viable for electrical cars. They still have a long way to go.
    inductive charging

inductive charging
    That's not going to solve the problem. The problem lies in power capacity, not access to power outlets

inductive charging
    That's not going to solve the problem. The problem lies in power capacity, not access to power outlets
    If you are talking about powering the autonomous unit (heh), that is squarely still a Moore's law problem. Meaning battery packs don't have to get bigger, the computers and sensors have to get smaller, which they are still doing.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    inductive charging
    If you are talking about powering the autonomous unit (heh), that is squarely still a Moore's law problem. Meaning battery packs don't have to get bigger, the computers and sensors have to get smaller, which they are still doing.
    Haven't said such a thing. But still, given the fact it uses the power equivalent of 50-100 laptops running in your booth today, that is still many years into the future before it's not such a power drain it is actually practical, even with the exponential improvement dictated by moores law.

inductive charging
    Haven't said such a thing. But still, given the fact it uses the power equivalent of 50-100 laptops running in your booth today, that is still many years into the future before it's not such a power drain it is actually practical, even with the exponential improvement dictated by moores law.
    Sure, I'm just saying this stuff has a habit of happening faster than we think it will.
    meh

Sure, I'm just saying this stuff has a habit of happening faster than we think it will.
    Indeed. I still remember taking a PanAm shuttle to orbital hotel back in 2001. That was quite an odissey.

Last edited by Don Rumata; October 13 2017 at 10:56:04 PM.

Indeed. I still remember taking a PanAm shuttle to orbital hotel back in 2001. That was quite an odissey.

Sure, but they got some things right.

Certainly, personalized entertainment,

and modular memory

are two pretty big concepts.
    meh