hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity is scary! [Transportation Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Are you actually this dumb? What does "self driving" mean?
    An early attempt to humanize the autonomous vehicle conceptualizations of late 20th century sci-fi.

People of this era also used copper wires for data transfer.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Are you actually this dumb? What does "self driving" mean?
    An early attempt to humanize the autonomous vehicle conceptualizations of late 20th century sci-fi.

People of this era also used copper wires for data transfer.
    I mean so are you...

An interesting factoid.

Planes have been virtually self-flying for years now. In the early days there was a lot of opposition from the flying public at the idea of autopilots.

It was discovered that one way of reducing this was to close the cockpit so the passengers couldn't see in.

Because out of sight is apparently out of mind.

Driverless cars scare many people because they are watching the steering wheel turn with no human intervention. That gives the impression that the car is out of control because if a person was driving the steering wheel turning without input would be a very bad thing.

This will be an issue because during the transition it will be a requirement that a person - much like a pilot - be able to take control in emergencies, but that requires that the possible emergency driver has trust in the self-driving system. Pilots not trusting instruments and computers are the cause of a number of accidents. But it will take time for sufficient trust to build up until most people will hand their safety over to a self-driving car.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I already said including all side costs (except, of course, the car price itself).
    And your time.

you know, the two largest costs in there.
    Have you calculated how much time you wait in the train station or at the bus stop? Or the time it takes to travel there? I guarantee you it's a fuckload more when you add it up over the years compared to the time it takes to get in your car and leave for your destination.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

With all due respect, autopilot in a plane is akin to cruise control in a car. It simply maintans heading and altitude and can follow ILS signal.

Self-driving cars are MUCH more complex, requiring real-time image recognition and much faster reaction time, with considerably more complex external environment (for example, planes do not have to dodge pedestrians and recognize road signs).

What we have now is typical fanboy hysteria about new technology, multiplied by Silicon Valley bullshit mentality.

Remember 3D TVs? Smell-O-vision? Google Glass? Blackberry? Zeppelins?

10 years from now people will be looking at Teslas rusting in the junkyards and thinking "WTF was wrong with people back then?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    The car market as we know it today will cease to exist.
    In vision for the future car park, you don't (or won't need to) own a car.
    In my vision of the future, you don't need to own a car, you just share it with other people when you need it.

You don't need to own a house or apartment either, you just share a large wooden barrack with other people. For optimal energy savings, you work in shifts, sharing your bunk with fellow comrades.
    Don't be daft.

Why own a car? You pay for it when its not in use.
    Instead you rent it.

It's quite expensive to own a car, even when its not in use.
    Payment of Loans
    Insurance
    Taxes
    Parking
    Services, fluids expire by date not use etc.
    Because it is my choice. In turn, I can get into my car whenever I want and go wherever I want. I know it is a strange concept, however for this privilege I pay out of my own pocket taxes, insurance, parking, fuel and what not
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    >I'm not 12 and not a moron
    >car is akin to a family member

Hmmmmm
    I could call you a retard for stuff you spewed in the past that many would call nonsense, doesn't mean I don't give you the right to your own opinion. I don't poast "Keckers is a dumbass for being a lefty and for applying this seriously but inappropriately to stuff", nope, I just read, digest your opinion and give you the right to have one without calling you names or throwing stabs at your job or mental capacity.

Next we'll be making fun for people considering pets as family members (please don't even try to go off the deep end explaining pets have feelings and stuff, I'm well aware of the difference between pets and metal vehicles, however I'm just trying to point out that pets as family members is absurd to some people just as car is a family member is an absurd concept to you - but not for me).
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    The car market as we know it today will cease to exist.
    In vision for the future car park, you don't (or won't need to) own a car.
    In my vision of the future, you don't need to own a car, you just share it with other people when you need it.

You don't need to own a house or apartment either, you just share a large wooden barrack with other people. For optimal energy savings, you work in shifts, sharing your bunk with fellow comrades.
    Don't be daft.

Why own a car? You pay for it when its not in use.
    Instead you rent it.

It's quite expensive to own a car, even when its not in use.
    Payment of Loans
    Insurance
    Taxes
    Parking
    Services, fluids expire by date not use etc.
    Because it is my choice. In turn, I can get into my car whenever I want and go wherever I want. I know it is a strange concept, however for this privilege I pay out of my own pocket taxes, insurance, parking, fuel and what not
    That's what a typical Kulak would say. Sounds like your car should be expropriated, to be shared between members of the proletariat....

3D TVs? Smell-O-vision? Google Glass? Blackberry? Zeppelins?
    Oh Ye Of Little Faith.

(I got nothing for smell-O-vision. Some things should stay dead.)
    meh

With all due respect, autopilot in a plane is akin to cruise control in a car. It simply maintans heading and altitude and can follow ILS signal.

Self-driving cars are MUCH more complex, requiring real-time image recognition and much faster reaction time, with considerably more complex external environment (for example, planes do not have to dodge pedestrians and recognize road signs).

What we have now is typical fanboy hysteria about new technology, multiplied by Silicon Valley bullshit mentality.

10 years from now people will be looking at Teslas rusting in the junkyards and thinking "WTF was wrong with people back then?!?"

So many good puns and digs in these past few pages. My only regret is I gotta rep them later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of ride-sharing... Services like Lyft and Uber actually add to traffic congestion.

Directionally, this new evidence of mode substitution suggests that ride-hailing is likely adding vehicle miles traveled to transportation systems in major cities. The 49% to 61% of ride-hailing trips that would have not been made at all, or by walking, biking, or transit, are adding vehicles to the road.
    https://itspubs.ucdavis.edu/wp-conte...df.php?id=2752

Speaking of ride-sharing... Services like Lyft and Uber actually add to traffic congestion.

Directionally, this new evidence of mode substitution suggests that ride-hailing is likely adding vehicle miles traveled to transportation systems in major cities. The 49% to 61% of ride-hailing trips that would have not been made at all, or by walking, biking, or transit, are adding vehicles to the road.
    https://itspubs.ucdavis.edu/wp-conte...df.php?id=2752
    And if you dig into the figures, you find it's mostly to avoid having to drive drunk or deal with shitty parking services. If you look into why they ride share instead of use public transit, it's because public transit is shit.
    meh

Actually I was told by an aircraft mechanic and a pilot that Airbus planes are capable and are doing automatic landings and take offs autonomosly if there is no wind

In fact some time ago Turkis airlines was hit by hail and the plane landed almost without pilots help

My problem with electric cars is that they all look awfull

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    An interesting factoid.

Planes have been virtually self-flying for years now. In the early days there was a lot of opposition from the flying public at the idea of autopilots.

It was discovered that one way of reducing this was to close the cockpit so the passengers couldn't see in.

Because out of sight is apparently out of mind.

Driverless cars scare many people because they are watching the steering wheel turn with no human intervention. That gives the impression that the car is out of control because if a person was driving the steering wheel turning without input would be a very bad thing.

This will be an issue because during the transition it will be a requirement that a person - much like a pilot - be able to take control in emergencies, but that requires that the possible emergency driver has trust in the self-driving system. Pilots not trusting instruments and computers are the cause of a number of accidents. But it will take time for sufficient trust to build up until most people will hand their safety over to a self-driving car.
    So the solution = Dark tinted one-way mirrored windows?

"Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany

If you look into why they ride share instead of use public transit, it's because public transit is shit.
    So instead of investing into public transit, cities end up subsidising ride-sharing, which takes money from transit, which pushes more people to use ride-sharing, which increases congestion further, messing up with transit, making it even worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post

Actually I was told by an aircraft mechanic and a pilot that Airbus planes are capable and are doing automatic landings and take offs autonomosly if there is no wind

In fact some time ago Turkis airlines was hit by hail and the plane landed almost without pilots help

My problem with electric cars is that they all look awfull
    Pretty much all planes can land automatically these days and many have for a long time. My GF's father was a corporate pilot and they had to let the auto pilot land the plane at least once a year

If you look into why they ride share instead of use public transit, it's because public transit is shit.
    So instead of investing into public transit, cities end up subsidising ride-sharing, which takes money from transit, which pushes more people to use ride-sharing, which increases congestion further, messing up with transit, making it even worse...
    The only reason there's congestion is because we're still letting humans drive...

The only reason there's congestion is because we're still letting humans live...
    FYP

Don still going strong I see.

You know, we don't need to wait ten years to say something is a retarded fucking idea. We can easily see your posts now and conclude that already.

:>

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk