hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity is scary! [Transportation Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Silent electric cars are a problem in pedestrianised areas.
    So are bicycles, skaters, dogs, other pedestrians etc.

Pedestrians using their ears to "spot" cars is a habit, something that can and will be overcome by the time more silent engines (electric or otherwise) are on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Pedestrians using their ears to "spot" cars is a habit, something that can and will be overcome by the time more silent engines (electric or otherwise) are on the streets.
    Pretty much. It's not like the streets are littered with dead deaf people today.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Pretty much. It's not like the streets are littered with dead deaf people today.
    They've adapted. *signs furiously*
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    How is his time diminished by driving and electric car? Even a self driving one, he's a doctor i doubt he'll have his patients in his car.
    Further protip: not only your employed time is worth money
    Sure, but travel time is still travel time. Self driving car means i can read a book instead of listening to an audiobook, great. It's still going to steal away just as much time as if i drove myself.
    Self driving car means you head home X minutes early and do paperwork on the way home, converting travel time into more free time by getting home sooner.
    This depends heavily on what your job is and what your employer thinks. For some i'm sure a self driving car will be amazing, for others (myself included) i wouldnt put my foot inside one them.
    So to summarise this pyramid exchange:

Hoggbert: How would having a self-driving car give you more productive time?

Others: Here's a load of productive things you could do while "driving" an self-driving car.

Hoggbert: Yeah but WHAT IF IM NOT IN A SELF-DRIVING CAR?
    Pretty shit at reading for a lawyer arent you?

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    For a forward looking Sci fi based community you guys sure are protective of your old fashion combustibles

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

I don't need a car now, but maybe I'll be able to cross the road more easily with self driving ones.
    And if we get wind power for electric cars I'll only have to put up with the brake and tire particles.

I guess that's better.

I just feel sorry for future generations who will never undergo the rite-of-passage know as the road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I just feel sorry for future generations who will never undergo the rite-of-passage know as the road trip.
    Why not the current generations who are missing out on home ownership, stable employment and retirement?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Why not the current generations who are missing out on home ownership, stable employment and retirement?
    Your ceaseless bland and tone-deaf hectoring will surely convert us to your ideology!!!

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    there are kids born now who will never need to own a car. They will simply summon one to take them where they need to go when they need to go there.
    Why stop there? I have an idea for a start-up: summon rides for other people. You can use an app to dispatch a ride for a person you suspect of owning a forbidden IC vehicle and thus being guilty of killing the Mother Earth. The rides will be administered by uniformed crews driving black cargo vans. They can be called something cool, like "Black Crows".

People will be encouraged to use the app more, since you will collect "Correctness Points". The more CP you collect, the less likely people will be able to summon "Black Crows" to your dwelling.

Just need to come up with a name. How about "United Socially-Sourced Rides" (U.S.S.R). Or something simple, like "Cheap Kars" (CheKa).

Your ceaseless bland and tone-deaf hectoring will surely convert us to your ideology!!!
    Thank you for your support, please donate to my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    there are kids born now who will never need to own a car. They will simply summon one to take them where they need to go when they need to go there.
    Why stop there? I have an idea for a start-up: summon rides for other people. You can use an app to dispatch a ride for a person you suspect of owning a forbidden IC vehicle and thus being guilty of killing the Mother Earth. The rides will be administered by uniformed crews driving black cargo vans. They can be called something cool, like "Black Crows".

People will be encouraged to use the app more, since you will collect "Correctness Points". The more CP you collect, the less likely people will be able to summon "Black Crows" to your dwelling.

Just need to come up with a name. How about "United Socially-Sourced Rides" (U.S.S.R). Or something simple, like "Cheap Kars" (CheKa).
    Why wouldn't I just use unmarked black helicopters for that?
    meh

Too noisy. Neighbors should hear the screams of those being hauled away, and electrical vans a super-quiet, so you'll hear every whimper of those selfish car-owning bastards.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    ITT: The opinion spectrum goes anywhere from «EV’s are the future» to «EV’s are literally Hitler»

In related news climate denier party in Norway currently in Government, and who runs on a platform akin to the US republican platform whermently apposed to any sort of taxation, now wants to introduce an import tax specifically only for Teslas.

Too noisy. Neighbors should hear the screams of those being hauled away, and electrical vans a super-quiet, so you'll hear every whimper of those selfish car-owning bastards.
    We can lead the autonomous electric helicopter revolution...

We can lead the autonomous electric helicopter revolution...
    Sadly, engineers who could design these helicopters were suspected in trying to hide last surviving IC engine in their workshop. They are now atoning for their mistakes by working in the Lithium mines to help with the totally unexpected shortages of this vital material.

We wouldn't trust our kids with just anyone, and neither should you. That's why we developed a solution that makes scheduling rides with experienced caregivers easy and convenient
    Are you actually this dumb? What does "self driving" mean?
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Lithium mines
    We've come full circle comrades...

(Lithium mines are literally salt mines)
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    ITT: The opinion spectrum goes anywhere from «EV’s are the future» to «EV’s are literally Hitler»

In related news climate denier party in Norway currently in Government, and who runs on a platform akin to the US republican platform whermently apposed to any sort of taxation, now wants to introduce an import tax specifically only for Teslas.
    I think the problem is that - like so many political issues - the extremes seem to dominate the debate.

I suspect that most people understand that driverless cars with electric motors are the future - in big urban areas at least. Simple economics will drive the change eventually.

But lots of people like ICE cars for many different reasons. Consider how, even though modern locomotives are faster, more reliable and much more efficient, many people love steam engines.

The future of cars seems to get conflated with (a) the battle over climate change, and (b) the ideal of personal freedom. So on one extreme you have people claiming that the whole thing is a conspiracy to take our ICE cars away. And on the other extreme you have people who - to save the earth - want to take our ICE cars away.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Are you actually this dumb? What does "self driving" mean?