hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 67891011121959 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity is scary! [Transportation Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Why own a car? You pay for it when its not in use.
    Instead you rent it.
    I just had an idea. Most people use their phones only part of the time, when they are making and receiving calls, yet still pay for them when they are not in use, just sitting there in your pocket.

What if we create some kind of shared phones that you can use only when you need to make a call? Place those phones in the places where people congregate, so you only use pay when you actually need phone someone?

We can call them "payphones".

#disrupt
    The whole point of mobiles is to make you constantly available to incoming calls/information. If everybody only ever made outgoing calls as you laid out in your strawman, then mobiles would have never replaced payphones.

Are you even trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    How is his time diminished by driving and electric car? Even a self driving one, he's a doctor i doubt he'll have his patients in his car.
    Further protip: not only your employed time is worth money

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    How is his time diminished by driving and electric car? Even a self driving one, he's a doctor i doubt he'll have his patients in his car.
    It is for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    It is for most people.
    Not it isn't.

Most people pay money for convenience multiple times a day, in order to save themselves free time. That places an implicit value on non-employed time.

Sure, but travel time is still travel time. Self driving car means i can read a book instead of listening to an audiobook, great. It's still going to steal away just as much time as if i drove myself.

The solution is simple: stop being employed. We are all wasting money by spending time commuting to/from work and then just sitting there, instead of actually being productive in our basements.

Sure, but travel time is still travel time. Self driving car means i can read a book instead of listening to an audiobook, great. It's still going to steal away just as much time as if i drove myself.
    You don't find time kicked back, reading a book, having a glass of wine and watching the world go by more valuable than not doing those things?

Self driving car means you head home X minutes early and do paperwork on the way home, converting travel time into more free time by getting home sooner.

You don't find time kicked back, reading a book, having a glass of wine and watching the world go by more valuable than not doing those things?
    I actually find time spend actively driving an interesting vehicle valuable, my preference is motorcycles, but some people like cars. Unless you manage to cut travel time, its still travel time and an arguement based on taste, which we know differs wildly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Self driving car means you head home X minutes early and do paperwork on the way home, converting travel time into more free time by getting home sooner.
    This depends heavily on what your job is and what your employer thinks. For some i'm sure a self driving car will be amazing, for others (myself included) i wouldnt put my foot inside one them.

This depends heavily on what your job is and what your employer thinks. For some i'm sure a self driving car will be amazing, for others (myself included) i wouldnt put my foot inside one them.
    You were asking about it for a doctor specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Why own a car? You pay for it when its not in use.
    Instead you rent it.
    I just had an idea. Most people use their phones only part of the time, when they are making and receiving calls, yet still pay for them when they are not in use, just sitting there in your pocket.

What if we create some kind of shared phones that you can use only when you need to make a call? Place those phones in the places where people congregate, so you only use pay when you actually need phone someone?

We can call them "payphones".

#disrupt
    This is the post equivalent of an autoerotic asphyxiation accident.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    The stronger component of the electric revolution is the concurrent advances in self driving vehicles.

It is projected that companies will be able to operate self driving EVs for <$0.20/mile, so instead of commuting to work or driving for groceries or downtown, people will be able to order these cars like Ubers that cost almost nothing to go wherever they need to go; then they automatically return home to charge as needed.

This will be the true death of personal internal combustion vehicles.
    Why wouldn't you be able to apply the same tech to ice cars? I have no idea why people think self driving is only an electric car thing.
    Because they are much, much more expensive to run and maintain, and the only potential downside of electric (range) is completely eliminated with fleets that charge themselves and only take rides they have the capacity to complete.
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

The stronger component of the electric revolution is the concurrent advances in self driving vehicles.

It is projected that companies will be able to operate self driving EVs for <$0.20/mile, so instead of commuting to work or driving for groceries or downtown, people will be able to order these cars like Ubers that cost almost nothing to go wherever they need to go; then they automatically return home to charge as needed.

This will be the true death of personal internal combustion vehicles.
    Why wouldn't you be able to apply the same tech to ice cars? I have no idea why people think self driving is only an electric car thing.
    Because they are much, much more expensive to run and maintain, and the only potential downside of electric (range) is completely eliminated with fleets that charge themselves and only take rides they have the capacity to complete.
    Not to mention network effects.
    meh

I don't understand all this hype about self-driving cars.

Yes, having to interact with your chauffeur is annoying, but if you have a self-driving car, who will carry your luggage and open the door for you?

I don't understand all this hype about self-driving cars.

Yes, having to interact with your chauffeur is annoying, but if you have a self-driving car, who will carry your luggage and open the door for you?
    idk where you live Don, but for most people in modern cities, they already don't really own cars, or if they do, its massively costly to interact with. What we're talking about isn't the replacement of private ownership of cars. We're talking about it's obsolescence for some portion of society. Just like there are businesses now who will literally never order physical IT equipment, there are kids born now who will never need to own a car. They will simply summon one to take them where they need to go when they need to go there.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    there are kids born now who will never need to own a car. They will simply summon one to take them where they need to go when they need to go there.
    Yes, it's called "asking mom for a ride".

there are kids born now who will never need to own a car. They will simply summon one to take them where they need to go when they need to go there.
    Yes, it's called "asking mom for a ride".
    Get with the times, grandad.

https://www.hopskipdrive.com/
    meh

We wouldn't trust our kids with just anyone, and neither should you. That's why we developed a solution that makes scheduling rides with experienced caregivers easy and convenient

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    So to summarise this pyramid exchange:

Hoggbert: How would having a self-driving car give you more productive time?

Others: Here's a load of productive things you could do while "driving" an self-driving car.

Hoggbert: Yeah but WHAT IF IM NOT IN A SELF-DRIVING CAR?