hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity is scary! [Transportation Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    The stronger component of the electric revolution is the concurrent advances in self driving vehicles.

It is projected that companies will be able to operate self driving EVs for <$0.20/mile, so instead of commuting to work or driving for groceries or downtown, people will be able to order these cars like Ubers that cost almost nothing to go wherever they need to go; then they automatically return home to charge as needed.

This will be the true death of personal internal combustion vehicles.
    My car can do 0.12p/mile and this includes servicing and consumables and fuel, why would you want something that's equally or more expensive and not yours at the same time?

This is what I can't understand. Maybe soon enuf people will pay other people to impregnate their wife, with all the effort involved and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The car market as we know it today will cease to exist.
    In vision for the future car park, you don't (or won't need to) own a car.

The car is an "entity" where you pay it to come and pick you up and take you to where you go.
    You pay the car for it services, and for that money it will be able to pay for recharging and service/repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    My car can do 0.12p/mile and this includes servicing and consumables and fuel, why would you want something that's equally or more expensive and not yours at the same time?

This is what I can't understand. Maybe soon enuf people will pay other people to impregnate their wife, with all the effort involved and stuff.
    I use a shared car that costs me far more per mile than yours does. I also guarantee I spend far less than you monthly on transportation.

Can you figure out how?

Not owning a car in favor of ubering and ride sharing and whatnot is has become fairly common in this city and it makes a ton of sense for everyone involved.
    He is probably thinking of cost as petrol only. Completely forgetting everything else involved in owning a car. A lot of people talking like him do.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Probably. Even my shitty worthless car comes to 9 cents/km.

If all cars are going electric the only sensible solution is to get a pilots lisence and buy a Harrier for commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    If all cars are going electric the only sensible solution is to get a pilots lisence and buy a Harrier for commuting.
    Mediocre.

Invest in some drilling equipment and dig yourself out an underground train line for each journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Mediocre.

Invest in some drilling equipment and dig yourself out an underground train line for each journey.
    Trains are inferior modes of transport, fit for peasants and cattle only.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Buy enough oil and a huge pressurized hose for it so you can surf to work on a toxic sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    In vision for the future car park, you don't own a car.
    So, the future is basically Soviet Union in the 70's?

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

I use a shared car that costs me far more per mile than yours does. I also guarantee I spend far less than you monthly on transportation.

Can you figure out how?

Not owning a car in favor of ubering and ride sharing and whatnot is has become fairly common in this city and it makes a ton of sense for everyone involved.
    He is probably thinking of cost as petrol only. Completely forgetting everything else involved in owning a car. A lot of people talking like him do.

I don't. I'm not 12 and unlike some people like to think, not a moron. I already said including all side costs (except, of course, the car price itself).

For me the car is akin to a family member. It's what skews my world view, from this perspective ride sharing, ubers, taxis, buses, trains are akin to hookers instead of a wife/girlfriend.

It may be not YOUR world view, but I wonder why is it so hard to accept. I think petrolheads think somehow like this and it's why the death of the ICE is so hard to accept

So, I'm sorry for not accepting it, but I can surely understand to some extent how personal cars are fucking Satan incarnate.

Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

>I'm not 12 and not a moron
    >car is akin to a family member

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I already said including all side costs (except, of course, the car price itself).
    And your time.

you know, the two largest costs in there.

>includes all side cost
    >Except car cost

M8

In my vision of the future, you don't need to own a car, you just share it with other people when you need it.

You don't need to own a house or apartment either, you just share a large wooden barrack with other people. For optimal energy savings, you work in shifts, sharing your bunk with fellow comrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    In my vision of the future, you don't need to own a car, you just share it with other people when you need it.

You don't need to own a house or apartment either, you just share a large wooden barrack with other people. For optimal energy savings, you work in shifts, sharing your bunk with fellow comrades.
    Don't be daft.

Why own a car? You pay for it when its not in use.
    Instead you rent it.

It's quite expensive to own a car, even when its not in use.
    Payment of Loans
    Insurance
    Taxes
    Parking
    Services, fluids expire by date not use etc.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I already said including all side costs (except, of course, the car price itself).
    And your time.

How is his time diminished by driving and electric car? Even a self driving one, he's a doctor i doubt he'll have his patients in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    And your time.

How is his time diminished by driving and electric car? Even a self driving one, he's a doctor i doubt he'll have his patients in his car.
    Paperwork?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post

We should all heat our homes by burning wood that we chopped ourselves. Paying for access to shared electrical/gas services is communism.

Just like Don, I built my strawman all by myself.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

Can you figure out how?

I don't. I'm not 12 and unlike some people like to think, not a moron. I already said including all side costs (except, of course, the car price itself).

For me the car is akin to a family member. It's what skews my world view, from this perspective ride sharing, ubers, taxis, buses, trains are akin to hookers instead of a wife/girlfriend.

It may be not YOUR world view, but I wonder why is it so hard to accept. I think petrolheads think somehow like this and it's why the death of the ICE is so hard to accept

So, I'm sorry for not accepting it, but I can surely understand to some extent how personal cars are fucking Satan incarnate.

REAL MEN USE CANDLES MADE FROM ANIMALS THEY KILLED THEMSELVES. Electric lights? Phhhh just a whorish fad for people who cant generate their own light

Why own a car? You pay for it when its not in use.
    Instead you rent it.
    I just had an idea. Most people use their phones only part of the time, when they are making and receiving calls, yet still pay for them when they are not in use, just sitting there in your pocket.

What if we create some kind of shared phones that you can use only when you need to make a call? Place those phones in the places where people congregate, so you only use pay when you actually need phone someone?

We can call them "payphones".

#disrupt

autoism is scary