hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity is scary! [Transportation Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    I'm really curious to see what is hiding in Tesla's long haul truck
    Tesla "long-haul" truck is being delayed, to focus on Model 3, which is being assembled by hand, with only 220 vehicles delivered. The only option is color.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201.../#more-1594564

Obviously they wouldn't have their manufacturing bottlenecks if they were using good'ol fossil fuels.

*takes a huge huff of gasoline*

TESLA SUX!

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Having actually driven a Tesla on a track (Monticello Motor Club) I can categorically say it was quite boring.
    Having not yet sat in one I highly suspect you're wrong. I do not see how that kind of acceleration can be boring.

Although I also find noisy cars mostly obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

People wonder why we don't have these alternate energy options now?

Cost is probably the main one. Reliability another. The internal combustion engine is a proven technology, reliable with the costs known.
    But I would guess this is preaching to the converted. Some may say only the desire for change will change the desire for new technology.
    But after reading a good book called Guns, Germs, and Steel, it seems that Invention may be the mother of Necessity instead of visa versa.
    Last edited by Meester; October 10 2017 at 03:03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Silent electric cars are a problem in pedestrianised areas.
    Posting to confirm a Prius tried to eat me once.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Silent electric cars are a problem in pedestrianised areas.
    Posting to confirm a Prius tried to eat me once.
    Like cyclists they can have a bell for when they mount the pavement to force the universe to move around them.

They should all sound like the flying car from the jetsons.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post

Cost is probably the main one. Reliability another. The internal combustion engine is a proven technology, reliable with the costs known.
    But I would guess this is preaching to the converted. Some may say only the desire for change will change the desire for new technology.
    But after reading a good book called Guns, Germs, and Steel, it seems that Invention may be the mother of Necessity instead of visa versa.
    We've had AC motors since the late 1800s m8, they are 1/100th the complexity of a gasoline motor and much cheaper and easier to manufacture. There just aren't a billion assembly lines out there making them yet.
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

We've had AC motors since the late 1800s m8, they are 1/100th the complexity of a gasoline motor and much cheaper and easier to manufacture. There just aren't a billion assembly lines out there making them yet.
    Everyone knows batteries have been the issue since cars have existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Having not yet sat in one I highly suspect you're wrong. I do not see how that kind of acceleration can be boring.
    You accelerate once. Then the battery overheats and the power is throttled down. Within 30 min of high-speed driving, the battery is dead.

We had some moron bring his Model S to our NNJR-PCA track meet. He did one lap, the car shut down and he had to call the tow truck.

Much lulz were had.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    You accelerate once. Then the battery overheats and the power is throttled down. Within 30 min of high-speed driving, the battery is dead.

We had some moron bring his Model S to our NNJR-PCA track meet. He did one lap, the car shut down and he had to call the tow truck.

Much lulz were had.
    Smells like bullshit

https://youtu.be/L51yZyqqK4I
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post

Much lulz were had.
    Smells like bullshit

https://youtu.be/L51yZyqqK4I
    Smells like you have no clue. Notice how all Tesla "ludicrous speed" videos are about 30 sec long.

It throttled down 47 sec (!) into the first lap. Bonus reaction from the driver: "Holy shit that was scary! Pedal went right to the floor!"

And since your retarded video showed Tesla vs 981 GT4, here are the corresponding track times:

Tesla Model S - 3:17.4
    Porsche 981 GT4 - 2:54.0

here's the video for GT4 lap:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJNzDxMM0mY

bonus 911 Turbo S lap
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poAaRcpX4gE

Tesla showed exactly the same time as Jeep Grand Cherokee.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-more-feature

This is again, one lap, on fully charged battery. It throttled down 47 sec (!) into the first lap.
    Last edited by Don Rumata; October 10 2017 at 05:55:05 AM.

Guns germs and steel is largely regarded by anthropologists as pretty abysmal and written by a guy who cherry picked basically all the evidence to support the conclusions he wanted to make from the start FYI
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Guns germs and steel is largely regarded by anthropologists as pretty abysmal and written by a guy who cherry picked basically all the evidence to support the conclusions he wanted to make from the start FYI
    So fits the poster in question perfectly?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Otoh I can't imagine life without a car. Happens when you're an outdoor person :-/
    Yeah. But I think that for the ones of us that can avoid owning a car without too much hassle (read: me and many others) should do so just to reduce pollution and building infrastructure to support that would make sense from many viewpoints. Low hanging fruit etc. =)

The problem is that the less ice cars out there, the more expensive it'll be to run one. Really annoying since it's a vicious circle, it's cheap and everybody has one and all the motorways are busy af, or it's expensive and few have one, but can you afford to pay thousands of quid to fill up once? Not to mention other costs like road tax and insurance ("oh your car doesn't drive itself, premium is 20k/year").

Personally I find all this disturbing. The more we are, the less individual freedom we have. Because for me a personal car is freedom, just like ships were in the past (ironically, it's quite expensive to own and use a boat today, isn't it). Much of the freedom nowadays means logging in to play a game because the only less restricted worlds are virtual.

Make self driving cars and sell them to people (wtf is wrong with buses btw), make electric cars and confine people to use them within a shit radius because that's all that technology can achieve atm, at the same time phase out ice because it pollutes. Whilst the latter is true and fair enuf, I will still enjoy my diesel for a really long time from now. Unlike petrol powered vehicles, there is the option of biodiesel and similar stuff. Hopefully I won't have to give up the freedom to go wherever I feel like, whenever I feel like. At least whilst I'm still able to do so.

But I feel empathy for the new generations who will never know the thrill of being on their own behind the wheel for the first time and the horizon calling. Pack of smokes, pack of snacks, coffee and water, full tank and driving off to catch the sunrise on the way to the seaside or the mountains. Plus minus a friend or lover to sweeten the miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Otoh I can't imagine life without a car. Happens when you're an outdoor person :-/
    Yeah. But I think that for the ones of us that can avoid owning a car without too much hassle (read: me and many others) should do so just to reduce pollution and building infrastructure to support that would make sense from many viewpoints. Low hanging fruit etc. =)

The problem is that the less ice cars out there, the more expensive it'll be to run one. Really annoying since it's a vicious circle, it's cheap and everybody has one and all the motorways are busy af, or it's expensive and few have one, but can you afford to pay thousands of quid to fill up once? Not to mention other costs like road tax and insurance ("oh your car doesn't drive itself, premium is 20k/year").

Personally I find all this disturbing. The more we are, the less individual freedom we have. Because for me a personal car is freedom, just like ships were in the past (ironically, it's quite expensive to own and use a boat today, isn't it). Much of the freedom nowadays means logging in to play a game because the only less restricted worlds are virtual.

Make self driving cars and sell them to people (wtf is wrong with buses btw), make electric cars and confine people to use them within a shit radius because that's all that technology can achieve atm, at the same time phase out ice because it pollutes. Whilst the latter is true and fair enuf, I will still enjoy my diesel for a really long time from now. Unlike petrol powered vehicles, there is the option of biodiesel and similar stuff. Hopefully I won't have to give up the freedom to go wherever I feel like, whenever I feel like. At least whilst I'm still able to do so.

But I feel empathy for the new generations who will never know the thrill of being on their own behind the wheel for the first time and the horizon calling. Pack of smokes, pack of snacks, coffee and water, full tank and driving off to catch the sunrise on the way to the seaside or the mountains. Plus minus a friend or lover to sweeten the miles.

whatever it is you're on you should bottle it and sell it to smuggo

youd make a fortune

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    We've shark jumped from a right-to-burn-dirty-oil to "freedom"

Have you noticed young people nowadays barely bother to get a driver's license? I'd say it says plenty.

Same with people doing less creative stuff with their hands instead of mindlessly consuming social media "content".

I'm on nostalgia I suppose. Would bottle.

Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Literally every middle-and-older aged person in the history of civilisation has believed at some point or other that society is on an inexorable moral decline since "their" day.

Moral decline - no.

Economic (for the middle classes down) and freedom decline - yes.