hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 91 of 118 FirstFirst ... 418188899091929394101 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2346

Thread: Electricity is scary! [Transportation Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    And the reason France is so green is because of nuclear power.
    which is low-carbon, but not renewable.

e: looking at that, I expected much lower CO2 emissions from Denmark and the UK, the former because it genuinely has a lot of renewables in the mix, and the latter because ... media? Welp.
    Also, go Norway, goddamn.
    it's quite wind-dependent and it's been blowing too much the last couple of days, past a certain threshold and the turbines shut down, right now it's at 71% of total load, that's pretty damn spiffy, but not as spiffy as when we're sitting at +250% of total load.

also, our base-load is done mostly trough biomass being burned in coal plants, it's sort-of-renewable in that it's not digging up new carbon, but yea, no hydro-dams means the average ends up higher.
    I watched an episode of "Bill Nye saves the world" the other day, where one of his guests explained that research his institute did in and with large energy providers over the last years showed that the whole. fucking. world. could run on renewable energy right now, without any country suffering any restrictions like forcing lower energy consumption onto its consumers (private or corporate). They technology is there already. It "just" would take the will of those who are in charge and also of course a good amount of investment. The later would amortize itself in the long run, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I watched an episode of "Bill Nye saves the world" the other day, where one of his guests explained that research his institute did in and with large energy providers over the last years showed that the whole. fucking. world. could run on renewable energy right now, without any country suffering any restrictions like forcing lower energy consumption onto its consumers (private or corporate). They technology is there already. It "just" would take the will of those who are in charge and also of course a good amount of investment. The later would amortize itself in the long run, though.
    Yeah capitalism is the problem. What a fucking shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    And the reason France is so green is because of nuclear power.
    which is low-carbon, but not renewable.

e: looking at that, I expected much lower CO2 emissions from Denmark and the UK, the former because it genuinely has a lot of renewables in the mix, and the latter because ... media? Welp.
    Also, go Norway, goddamn.
    it's quite wind-dependent and it's been blowing too much the last couple of days, past a certain threshold and the turbines shut down, right now it's at 71% of total load, that's pretty damn spiffy, but not as spiffy as when we're sitting at +250% of total load.

also, our base-load is done mostly trough biomass being burned in coal plants, it's sort-of-renewable in that it's not digging up new carbon, but yea, no hydro-dams means the average ends up higher.
    Bill Nye "the scientist"

You might aswell read all my posts and beleive them

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Yeah capitalism is the problem. What a fucking shock.
    Last edited by Don Rumata; January 31 2018 at 04:42:39 PM.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Bill Nye "the scientist"

But we don't. That's why your opinion in Bill Nye also bare no weight.

There is something beautiful in Smarnca ridiculing people smarter and more successful than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    There is something beautiful in Smarnca ridiculing people smarter and more successful than him.
    The ironing is unbarable.

Lol.

I watched an episode of "Bill Nye saves the world" the other day, where one of his guests explained that research his institute did in and with large energy providers over the last years showed that the whole. fucking. world. could run on renewable energy right now
    I can't tell if you're being satirical or not.

Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Bill Nye "the scientist"

But we don't. That's why your opinion in Bill Nye also bare no weight.

Smarnca is the mountain goat of wisdom.

I watched an episode of "Bill Nye saves the world" the other day, where one of his guests explained that research his institute did in and with large energy providers over the last years showed that the whole. fucking. world. could run on renewable energy right now
    Dyson Sphere or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    lacks penis coming out of the outer guys head
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Since China's push into electric vehicles and large-scale Li-Ion battery production was mentioned a few pages back...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-car-batteries
    The next global powerhouse in the auto industry comes from a small city in a tea-growing province of southeast China, where an unheralded maker of electric-vehicle batteries is planning a $1.3 billion factory with enough capacity to surpass the output of Tesla and dwarf the suppliers for battery-powered cars by GM, Nissan and Audi.

Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd., or CATL, already sells the most batteries to the biggest electric-vehicle makers in the biggest EV market: China. Now it wants to use proceeds from a pending initial public offering backed by Goldman Sachs Group Inc. to get under the hoods of more European marques and secure customers in the U.S.

The company plans to raise 13.1 billion yuan ($2 billion) as soon as this year by selling a 10 percent stake, at a valuation of about $20 billion. The share sale would finance construction of a battery-cell plant second in size only to Tesla Inc.’s Gigafactory in Nevada—big enough to cement China as the leader in the technology replacing gas-guzzling engines.

The new assembly lines would quintuple CATL’s production capability and make it the world’s largest electric-vehicle battery cell manufacturer, ahead of Tesla, Warren Buffett-backed BYD Co. in China and South Korea’s LG Chem Ltd., according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. The factory could go fully online as soon as 2020, an opportune time as China targets a sevenfold increase in new-energy vehicle sales by 2025 and ponders a course for phasing out fossil-fuel vehicles altogether.

China’s government likes to have national champions of industry: think Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. in e-commerce and Tencent Holdings Ltd. in social media. So far no carmakers are part of that conversation, although CATL is working its way in there by capitalizing on China’s push for cleaner air and fewer oil imports. The rising battery giant is, in no small part, a manifestation of China’s aggressive government support for electric vehicles.

China surpassed the U.S. in 2015 to become the world’s biggest market for electric cars. Sales of new-energy vehicles—including battery-powered, plug-in hybrid and fuel-cell vehicles—reached 777,000 units last year and could surpass 1 million this year, the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers estimated.

I can't tell if you're being satirical or not.
    Hint: I'm German. Now try judging again.

research his institute did in and with large energy providers over the last years showed that the whole. fucking. world. could run on renewable energy right now, without any country suffering any restrictions like forcing lower energy consumption onto its consumers (private or corporate).
    Amazing. Did he "research" wikipedia or what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desertec

Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    research his institute did in and with large energy providers over the last years showed that the whole. fucking. world. could run on renewable energy right now, without any country suffering any restrictions like forcing lower energy consumption onto its consumers (private or corporate).
    Amazing. Did he "research" wikipedia or what?
    I'm not sure, he didn't mention it. But you may ask himself, if you want to find out. The "institute" I've forgotten is the little known, bit of esoteric entity called "Standford University", the name of the dude's Mark Z. Jacobson

Its awesome that his papers are starting around 2007. So the only innovation is that its a US researcher promoting something that has been around for DECADES.

Haha, this thread is so full of high horse people. Of course the whole world can run on renewables, but it's a question of economic drivers and infrastructure support. We're nowhere near ready for that, the logistics of building a solar farm out there of that scale, then maintaining it and having the ridiculous cable infrastructure to actually route the power globally is off the charts. It's a nice thought though, and it does highlight that despite technical feasibility we aren't really going balls deep on renewables.

E: for clarity, the high horse people are mainly people like metacannibal who dismiss shit with nigh on a sensible argument to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    people like metacannibal who dismiss shit with nigh on a sensible argument to go with it.
    I didnt dismiss anything. Teslas are just SHIT CARS for the price. And of course the world can run 100% on renewables. With hydrogen extracted from water with renewable solar power and hydrogen powered vehicles. Not stupid idiot marketing shit cars from tesla and the very polluting bullshit battery technology.